Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SA vs Ireland First Test 2024 - The World Champions vs The Best Team in the World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

So the try should've stood because the officials should ignore when people commit infringements. Doesn't sound like great logic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Well it wasn't a clear and obvious infringement IMO.

A player was dragged in a neck roll and the ball came off his foot. Let's ignore the foul play and give a penalty against that player is not good enough at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The Lowe try should have been a penalty to ireland for the neck roll that brought Kelleher to ground.

Whether Kelleher intentionally hooked the ball back, or accidentally whilst falling can be debated. Either way - he was brought to ground illegally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's becoming a theme with us, ref bashing. Are we the only team that suffers from poor refs? I'm not a fan of any of the officials from yesterday but, they reffed both sides. Are we becoming the blame the officials crowd? Seriously lads, it's a common theme. Sometimes we're just not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭VayNiice

Off topic here but does anyone know is there a conscious effort being made to show anything but the scrap taking place on the pitch? Seems in the past you'd get to see the handbags but yesterday the cameras kept switching to the crowd. Those are important parts of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FtD v2

As opposed to your constant bashing of our own players?

It was a clear and obvious infringement. He clearly touched the ball with his foot. But it is good enough at this level to ignore clear and obvious infringement at the ruck and award a try instead? Again, cant understand the logic in that.

Whether he intentionally or accidentally hooked the ball accidentally isn't relevant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Inevitably devolves into ref bashing here. What about the decisions that went out way? Bet ye don't remember any of them.

Of the big moments.....

Kelleher played the ball on the ground, sometimes get away with that but it was spotted, a bit unlucky but can't complain.

Lowe kept that ball in play and it backfired, showed good skill to do it but didn't have support. Can't blame him for trying. Ball left his hand just before door hit the ground.

Lowe made a mess of the ball in goal and conceded a scrum which we got smashed in. SA would have scored there in all probability.

If the Irish team complain about the ref and dont concentrate on getting better then we are screwed. But they will move on and work on their own game.

No, you’re wrong. It wasn’t deemed a penalty for playing it with his feet, it was the fact he was deemed to be on the ground when playing it with his feet that was deemed the penalty.

What a more competent ref might have considered was the arm wrapped squarely around Kelleher’s neck at the time which was dragging him to ground - an obvious Irish penalty. The notion that he’s dexterous enough to be able to see that ball and play it back with his feet there while he’s got an arm wrapped around his neck is farcical.

Try should have have stood - I don’t think he deliberately played it with his feet.

• Advertisement

It ridiculous to suggest a more competent referees should ignore an infringement. Again, whether he did deliberately or not is irrelevant. Being fouled doesn't give a player the right to commit an infringement themselves either.

You said earlier “whether he intentionally or accidentally hooked the ball, accidentally isn’t relevant though” - which is completely factually wrong.

If the ball came off his heel as he was being wrought to ground around the neck and he had no knowledge of it whatsoever then he didn’t commit any kind of infringement at all and the try should have stood.

It's not factually wrong. A player must not play the ball when they are on the ground. That's the law. He played the ball on the ground when he was off his feet. That's an infringement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Play Prendergast?

Aren’t you the poster who, a few weeks ago, said it’d be too much of a risk to play Haley?

Ya….

Yeah, but the very term “play” the ball while on the ground indicates an awareness and a conscious decision being taken. If you look at that ruck, he’s facing the touchline and has Willie le Roux actively neck rolling him to the ground as the ball incidentally comes off his heel, in a ruck where Ireland had comprehensively won and arguably already should have had a penalty for Aki being on the ball.
    It was marginal whether he was even on the ground when the ball came off his heel, but there is no way to me it was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Ben Whitehouse always over interferes as tmo. Sometimes in your favour sometimes not. If you go back for offences like Kellehers then so many tries would be disallowed. They leave them go mostly otherwise the system doesn't work

It’s the fact he reviewed that ruck and emerged with a SA penalty, when there were at least one and arguably two Irish penalties prior to that that makes it especially egregious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

A key element of assessing what is worth a risk is potential reward.

The reward of playing a 30 year old who couldnt take a provincial jersey from an unfit retiree is near zero.

I don't agree with exposing Prendergast to this tour environment but it is not at all far fetched for someone to believe fast tracking one of our best young talents in a position of shallow depth is worth a risk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Again, whether he did deliberately or not is irrelevant

It's not irrelevant. It was bizarre to come out of that with the decision of a penalty to SA. Also the Snyman tackle was a stone cold penalty. But Whitehouse is just a dreadful TMO so it's hardly surprising.

Anyway, sure look, the biggest screw up by anyone in the stadium was Lowe's mishandling of the kickoff after our second try. I think we had a real chance to push on and win the game without that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Id play Prendergast if he is deemed good enough, at least give him a bench spot.

Plenty of players have debuted at his age and younger. We are slow to bring through young players in Ireland. He will be the Leinster first choice 10 in a few months time.

10 is so key that I'm not sure he has enough time in camp and reps in training to have everything needed down to perform. Backs are likely to be pretty disjointed too given the injuries.

As for other national teams, not many top sides give debuts to such young and inexperienced players away on tours against the world champions. This isn't like doing it against the likes of Argentina or Canada.

The “unfit retiree’s” end of season form really seems to have annoyed someone. 😂

It doesn't though. If they wanted the rule to just include intentional plays of the ball they have have used the word "intentional". People deciding to interrupt the rule becuase it suits isn't how the laws are to be implemented.

It is irrelevant. The law says nothing about intentionally playing the ball. I agree in the penalty to SA being wrong decision. But the idea that the try should have been allowed just doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, I presume it annoyed Haley for sure.

For all the continued moaning from some posters about Haley's exclusion, the end of season reaffirmed why Haley hasn't been in AF's plans.

With the solid to good performance of Osbourne I can't seeing Haley making his way back in as a 30 year old.

Is that officiating crew going to be in charge this week?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

"playing the ball" is an intentional act. It is in the definitions of the Laws

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

My intention is not to bash referees but Whitehouse seemed to be constantly talking in Pearce's ear. Is that the norm for him? I've never been so aware of it until this match. That's why I'm wondering if there are any actual rugby refs on here to give their informed and knowledgeable opinions of some of the decisions that people seem aggrieved by.

If you’re going to refer to Zebo as “unfit retiree” rather than acknowledge his excellent form then I don’t think you’re arguing in good faith.

In which case I’ve no interest in arguing. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Maybe try actually reading the laws before you spout off on here again like this.

The very definition of playing the ball, as I said in my prior post, requires an intentional act.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement