Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I was confident before the match yesterday. I was confident at half time despite the misses and a few lads not clicking. My confidence dropped dramatically after about 2mins of the second half..mossy and cody both missed handy chances and I think clare got hope from that ..after that clare took over and we didn't hurl at all.. I can see how Lyng brought older heads on to steady the ship and its easy say now but he needed to be braver and give the likes of wall and Murphy a chance.

Are we ever going to learn that no matter how good or important to the team a player is, there is no point starting a lad who is not fit..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not enough being made of the wastefulness of TJ Reid’s long distance frees in the 2nd half. He should’ve copped it early to change things up with then. I’d say 4 or 5 were wasted when going for a score that wasn’t achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Taking off Billy Ryan and bringing on Fogarty was the end.

Owen Wall should have been put in there midway through the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

TJ is still god trying to slight him at this stage is just wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭kk.man

After reflection of yesterday's game I think this present team may never see an All Ireland medal. If we played only our subs and extended panel they wouldn't even get out of leinster.The team doesn't have it and there's nothing coming after because of years of mismanagement of under age teams. I apologise if it causes offence but it's the grim reality.

• Advertisement

there was people on already about lack of support. In my eyes the true supporters attend most games both club and intercounty, are a member of a club,and are a member of the Kilkenny supporters club . Anything less than that are fairly fickle supporters. I know the posters who are will reply and the posters that aren’t will be outraged, I also know people have circumstances which don’t allow attend for various reasons.someone said it to me onetime when we were begging for tickets outside Nowlan park that he was the best supporter of all time having attended all the all Irelands Kilkenny were in, no other matches just the All Irelands.they get offended here when I bring up the subject but the fact of the matter is they couldn’t be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I understand that and I wasn’t having a go at the OP or anything but I’m saying the reasons they do what they actually do makes no sense…. if you know what I mean.

It’s a good question re why we’re not as passionate or as vocal when it comes to getting behind the team at games. Maybe if we had bigger crowds going you’d be more inclined to roar your team on, sometimes you feel a bit silly if you’re the only one doing it.

The only time Kilkenny fans stood up and roared yesterday was when we scored a goal. The Clare crowd went wild every time they scored a point and for every block or hook and rightly so.

It’s definitely a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 longcovid

Do lads think that the second half fade outs that we've seen this and last year against Clare and against Limerick are down to fitness or some other reason. I note that we played against the wind in the second half yesterday and against Limerick last year. Both games seemed to follow a pattern. We should have been much further ahead at half time in both games but for some poor finishing and some odd refereeing decisions. Then in the second half in both games the opposition pushed up on us and we seemed to start pucking the ball from deep which the opposition mopped up. We didn't get the ball to the scoring zone which reduced our ability to score points dramatically. Now granted Clare and Limerick were more energised in the second half and there were other factors at play like our poor bench but it seems that the main issue was us not being able to play the ball out to the right areas. Fatigue or tactics or a bit of both? I saw Murphy hollering at lads yesterday to come and show for the ball in the second half but than they all come back and there's no outlet further up the field. So I suppose to play against the wind you need runners or very smart positional play and fitness to carry it out. We need to use our bench earlier and maybe consider playing against the wind first half. But we definitely need to improve our puck out strategy against the wind when the opposition push up. Easier said than done I suppose. Anyway good luck to Clare in the final , they deserve to be there.

On the topic of support I can escape the wrath of Marooned as I was there yesterday. I did notice a lot of lads wearing these grey type Kilkenny jerseys. WTF is that all about? You need to wear the colours so that when those players look into the stands they see as much black and amber as possible. Black and amber may not be the most flattering but it's not an effing fashion shoot lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

support at away games has been poor all year. Doubt even all the season ticket holders went to a lot of the games. The core support that go to most games is tiny. Maybe it’s all the years of winning, the interest doesn’t seem to be there now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

The pattern of fading out of games is going on 2 years, happened against Wexford and Galway in the Leinster championship also, having zero impact off the bench is a main reason for this. The 3 subs yesterday actually made Kilkenny worse, how could we bring on Conor Fogarty, the only chance we had at that stage was catching Clare on a break, Billy Ryan had the potential to do that. I would like to see Lyng stay because the truth be told is there anyone to replace him? He has a very average team to deal with, we did not beat anyone this year.

The only benefit of the end of the year is the more than likely retirements of Buckley, Wally and Fogarty which will force them to use the younger players on the bench and bleed more in early next year.

I have to agree as I said earlier end of an era start of a new era

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Christ we are miles behind the standard of todays match. Limerick are just unreal. I always thought our 4 in a row team were better but I'm seriously questioning it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brian017

Depressing stuff. We used to play at the level of both of these teams

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

While this limerick team are superb I don't think they are they level of that Kilkenny team for hurling or skill. Game has evolved so much and Limerick have created such a process driven game that they excel at

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭hogans heroes

Can't agree with that, clare only got vocal when they got to 3pts behind after Billy's goal up to that they were quiet, also all this crapp that were better off being bet because of what limerick would do to us is also out the window.game is there to be won on the day and cork proved that.we had the game yesterday and through it away.were close and have to figure out how to get it over the line

Post edited by hogans heroes at

Cork kept the tempo up for the whole game, some effort.

We are nowhere near that level of fitness and endurance

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

What a game and what a win for Cork. They were outstanding all the way through and the intensity they brought was savage. I don't normally say this but you have to credit Cork. Limerick have been outstanding champions but from our point of view its great their 5 in a row ambitions are over. Surely the kilkenny lads will be looking at this saying we need to bring that type of game to championship hurling. It was an outstanding game to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 njcat

Great game. Lk did very well to get within 2 and figure out the wind into the Jones Rd end. A repeat of yesterday's game for me; wind a huge factor. Losing team looked in control ar ht. In reality the winners managed the first half deficit and energy levels. Very easy scoring by winners from any field position into hill 16 in both games. Lots of wides even from frees into Jones rd end by both Kk and Lk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Limericks big men poor to day Hayes, Hannon, Hegarty few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭kk.man

Congrats to Cork. Great game by both teams. A great limerick team is gone but they were not near our great team. People forget they lost 3 times in the bid for five in a row. We reached the 5 in a row final unbeaten in 23 games (great kerry team went 22 unbeaten).

The standard of hurling in today's game was on a different level than yesterday's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Yeah have to agee yere team was superior. Way more individual geniuses on that great ,kilkenny team and more off the cuff which is why they are so fondly remembered even in tipp. Played in much better fashion just quick direct hurling, great to watch.

Fair play newhouse, Tipp team of that era were some team too. Five is hard to do lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

bit of a difference between Leinster and Munster championships in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

That great kilkenny team never had to battle their way through munster. Physically Limerick are better but hurling wise yeah maybe Kilkenny of that era . But Limericks 4 in a row is better than Kilkenny's. 2 great sides

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

They didnt battle through Munster because they were in Leinster, who in Munster would have stopped them may be Tipp.

IIt's the accumulative effect of playing the best teams. Look at this current Kilkenny team..still getting to All Ireland semis when in reality they probably wouldn't get out of the Munster round Robin. I loved that JJ Delaney team but as fantastic as he was ( one of the best ever)... Id take Kyle Hayes over him every time for his athleticism and size and power.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

Hayes over JJ. Never in a million years. JJ is the greatest of all time and its not recognised because he wasn't a forward

• Advertisement

But Hayes is bigger,stronger and faster. Scores more from play. Jj was my favourite player aswell but he's not better than Hayes who's probably the best wing back of all time already at 26

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement