Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What is the general feeling of decent ISP to go for guys?

Finally after many years i can now avail of FTTH.

Im currently with airwire for 100mb vdsl and they have been decent to deal with but more expensive than the most of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

A Vodafone door-to door guy came by here offering a "€40 forever"* deal.

*I think it's this one, but it's subject to CPI + 3% annually.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/nbi.html

Also try Westnet if you're in their catchment.

Here's the long version of that exchange with ComReg Commissioner Helen Dixon. I doubt that government policy on fibre connections in blue (commercial) areas is as open-ended as ComReg's 'wait and see' strategy.

Ms Helen Dixon: There is no contract there. Obviously, NBI is under contract from the
    Minister and the Department in terms of its roll-out to the intervention area. It is under specific
    obligations and must install regardless of the difficulties and cost in that intervention area. For
    the commercial wholesale providers such as SIRO, Virgin Media and Eir, there is no contract.
    They simply contract with individual retail providers but there is no contract with an area, loca-
    tion or estate that obligates them to install fibre lines.
    Deputy Martin Kenny: That means we do not know the situation for the people who are
    left behind. They are technically in an area which is covered by the commercial provider but
    they are actually not covered. We will have to wait years before somebody comes back to deal
    with them, which is very inappropriate for the individuals who are left behind.
    Ms Helen Dixon: The Deputy is right. I think it is only going to emerge over time. For
    our part, what we are trying to do is ensure there is competition in the wholesale market. We
    now have three providers that are seeking to roll out as far as they can in the commercial space.
    They have no desire to bypass any households in the commercial space; they only end up doing
    so where they discover it is unviable. From a broad base picture, yes, we are not going to know
    for several years which of those areas are definitively bypassed. As the Deputy said, some of
    the operators are saying they will skip that area for now but may come back and see if they have
    a solution later on.
    Deputy Martin Kenny: It is very unsatisfactory, is it not? Certainly for the people who
    live in those areas, it is very unsatisfactory.
    Ms Helen Dixon: It is, but if one was to say those areas should now be placed in an inter-
    vention zone, one is precluding the possibility that a commercial provider may yet pick them up
    on a second sweep. In terms of timing, there is a period that has to be waited before the picture
    becomes clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

I went with Digiweb in the end, according to reddit they seem to be pretty good.

Im booked for instal tomorrow morning so fingers crossed.

I went with their 1GB/100MB €34.99 pm for 6 months then €59.99 pm for final 6 months then we can re-negotiate.

I will more than likely settle on 500 MB after the first 12 months but im so long waiting i want to experience 1Gb for a while :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

Good choice - I'm with Digiweb on VDSL (Openeir FTTC) and have full 100 Mbps no issues. I'm sure you know that, depending on the infrastructure, the wholesaler (Openeir, SIRO or whoever) or their sub-contractor will do the actual installation.

Finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I saw an email from SIRO that Comreg has approved the commencement of the "copper switch off" which is apparently an EU directive where they want all copper broadband switched off by 2030. Certainly news to me.

I live in a house that does not have ducting for fibre cables and despite being in an area of eir's fibre map marked as "live", I don't have any fibre options - it all comes through the copper TV cables ala Virgin Media. I still have 2GB options but if they switch it off what are my options?

The copper switch off applies to Eircom (Eir). It relates to their old copper voice, ADSL and FTTC networks and may proceed exchange by exchange depending on the 100% availability of either FTTH or alternative 'Modern Infrastructure'. The Modern Infrastructure may be supplied by anyone. Virgin are not caught by the directive and separately have claimed that they'll have their network upgraded to fibre by 2025.

The ComReg decision is here.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/framework-for-the-migration-from-legacy-infrastructure-to-modern-infrastructure-2

ComReg is consulting currently about mutual access and sharing of in-building cabling among providers. It obviously affects competition, price, and choice. Information about the ability of building management companies to do exclusive deals with particular telecoms providers or charge residents/owners fees in relation to upgrades might be relevant.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/facilitating-network-deployment-through-infrastructure-sharing

Questions for all Stakeholders

1. Have you experienced issues (including pricing) with regards to:
      (a) access to internal wiring, cabling and other related facilities in a
      building like a MDU [Multi-Dwelling Unit] or housing estate?
      (b) sharing of infrastructure, network elements or related facilities or
      equipment (e.g. masts, antennae, towers, ducts, cabinets, etc.)?
      If so, please provide as much detail as possible.

There are other questions in Annex 1 that customers/residents/owners could weigh in on also.

The consultation is open until September 2nd.

Whether ComReg is genuinely interested is another matter.

• Advertisement

Minister making hopeful noises before the Oireachtas committee on Wednesday

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?gid=2024-06-26a.15

Some of the most significant connectivity issues are in cities. Many estates in south Dublin that might have been built in the 1980s do not have the ducting. It can be difficult to roll out high-speed gigabit broadband in these estates. The Department and ComReg are looking at working with local authorities to facilitate support for that specific problem and, in doing so, make it commercially viable to roll out high-speed broadband everywhere. ……. we believe that overcoming that immediate access issue in those estates will close those gaps. With that done, pretty much the entire country will have access to very high speed broadband. This is a vital project that is probably next up to be delivered by the State.

For the record; Eircom - Galway announcement 2024-06-24

Additional works are planned for Ballinasloe, Kinvara, Loughrea, Miltown, Oranmore, Portumna and Turloughmore over the next six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

guys, sorry if it’s covered already in the thread but is it possible to get eir tv working when using a 3rd party router to replace the eir router. Want to swap out my parents router as they have frequent dropouts and buffering on eir tv.

I’m comfortable enough setting up vlan etc but from what I read eir tv won’t work in pppoe mode. Is there a way to get eir tv working on a 3rd party router?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

eir tv will work using PPPoE, the old eirvision product wouldn't, from what I remember

One last question. Do I need to clone MAC address?

Advertisement