Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options
1365366367368369371»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭wassie

Found this thread and seems like it's just kind of the way it is?

A random thread from 5 years ago?

But to answer your question, no its not the way it is. I've never had issue releasing charging cables with Tesla superchargers, other than an occasional jiggle. Charging 4-5 times a week on average for more than 3 years, with at least twice a week at Enfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Do the chargers need to be unlocked from the app for a non Tesla before plugging in?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You were doing something wrong. Once all in place they are easy to remove. Car unlocked/charge port unlocked, charging stopped etc

Should Just unplug.

I’d say so yes. As they have to be stopped and unlocked in a Tesla.

I vaguely remember there's some way the superchargers detect when a Tesla is nearby and unlock

Assuming they're not using a Tesla then that mechanism doesn't exist, so I think you need to select the charger in the app first

Haven't used a supercharger before so I'm not sure of the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm talking about taking the cable out from the charging stand, nothing to do with my car. I had the app set to charge from the appropriate charging point and it was telling me to plug it into my car

I mean it's a thread talking about the exact issue I was having, I'm not sure how that makes it random?

I tried on the very left one and the very right one. I did get it out of the one on the right.

I was chatting to a guy for a minute when coming back to the car and I asked him about it , he said he had the same issue til his friend told him to tilt it up first before pulling it out. So I guess I was just missing the proper knack to it

To answer my question around the €25, it originally charged me €25, but changed to the appropriate amount after the charging session

Yeah the €25 is fairly common, a lot of charging operators take a deposit to ensure you have funds before they allow charging to start

It usually gets refunded pretty quickly. A lot of operators charge more, for example BP Pulse in the UK take a £60 deposit which means tap and pay doesn't work for many Irish people, you need to had Google or Apple pay instead

Should be straight forward. Not locked in as such but you have to maneuver it out is a certain fashion.

You should see the €25 hold disappear tonight or tomorrow. It’s the same when using self service petrol stations. You can tell them the max and it holds it but only debits the actually amount you take.

I don’t use them much either. Infant, twice in 5 years. But I seem to remember they are always loose in the charger itself. You don’t have to do anything with a Tesla to initiate the charge. Just plug in.

I assumed the posted was talking about removing them from the car once finished charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Had the same thing first time i used one back in 2020 and was sure I'd break it 😁you have to tilt it up before pulling out. Once you've done it right once or twice you'll just do it automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They are probably relatively hard to move because they are short and liquid cooled so quite heavy compared to other chargers, the undocking/docking is just a wiggle exercise.

Their design is for Tesla EV use without cable touching the ground

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭wassie

I mean it's a thread talking about the exact issue I was having, I'm not sure how that makes it random?

Apologies if I came across harsh - not intended that way. Was just responding to the suggestion that it "seems like it's just kind of the way it is?" being based on a 5 year old thread. I thought if it was a common problem/complaint, I think you would readily find more recent complaints online, even here on Boards on one of the dedicated Tesla threads.

As I said, I don't recall this ever being an issue in those threads, but might be worth asking the question in the dedicated Supercharger thread.

Advertisement