Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SA vs Ireland First Test 2024 - The World Champions vs The Best Team in the World

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes it's normal. You don't normally hear it on the audio feed unless there is a TMO check.

Whitehouse errs on the side of being more interventionist than most I would say for minor technical things. He's not great at foul play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

All of the fbs in the squad have been simularly "excluded"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I think this needs someone to find the law in question and post it before saying whether or not accidental playing the ball is still playing the ball.

Can't say things like 'the very definition' when we are not the ones tasked with writing or upholding the laws without posting proof.

For what it's worth, I don't know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Here's the Snyman/Casey incident.

For me, he initially gets a hand on Casey but then there's a totally separate tackle and follow-through after the ball is gone, and he drives through far more than is reasonable before slamming him into the turf. It's 100% intentional and Whitehouse calling it a 'collision' was absolutely mental.

And even though it's obvious Casey is f**ked and play has stopped, RGS doesn't even check on him. Why not? Because he knows exactly what he's done, and he even gets a high-five from his team-mate. Why would you high-five someone for an innocent, accidental collision?

Maybe it's just a coincidence but the play immediately prior to this was Casey sticking a brilliant 50-22 into SA territory, followed by a few whoops and fist-bumps. I'd imagine the SA lads didn't like that. But I'm sure that's just coincidence.

Said it on the Leinster thread, I would rather we never see Snyman on these shores again. If he does his cruciate again, that's absolutely fine by me.

And once again I'm not seeing any evidence that he's nearly as good a player as he's been painted. The incessant claim that he's a world-class game changer is Emperor's New Clothes levels of delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FtD v2

Point 14 here states simply playing the ball with the feet is permitted in the ruck. While that’s what the poster claimed the penalty was originally for (and he seems to have been confused on this point), that wasn’t the case, they pinged him for playing it with his feet while he was off his feet.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/15

Podge posted the definition of “playing the ball” on the prior page.

As I said previously, the idea that he’s intentionally playing the ball while he’s been neck rolled and facing the wrong direction to me looks nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is similar, though worse, then what he did to Healy against Edinburgh. There was at least a plausible argument he was committed there (though I don't for a second believe he is).

He resets here to tackle him after the ball is gone. It was a stone cold penalty at the least. The outcome was somewhat unfortunate, but he knew exactly what he was doing.

He also looks offside when he hits Casey - don’t think he was ever onside there, and in the same sequence, Koch clears out Doris way past the ball too. It was a perfect synopsis of the sort of stuff going on at virtually every ruck that the ref and TMO chose to actively ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Highlighting facts does 'really seem to have annoyed someone. 😂' (to quote your high quality post)

Zebo has retired and when you look at the level of fat he was carrying for a back three player, his notoriety for being a lazy trainer, and his body clearly breaking down (through missing time with injuries and dealing with cramps even when he played) I don't know how you can put up a debate to my other comment.

Good form or not, Haley couldn't beat that player out - which you would be expecting to play for Ireland, or even get into an Irish squad. That is 100% on Haley and justifies AF's previous judgement on him and why barring a miracle he wont get near playing for Ireland again in a meaningful match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

If he does his cruciate again, that's absolutely fine by me.

Are you okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Feel that is a bit hyperbolic.

It probably is a penalty but you tend see something similar to this in most games, probably a dozen plus times when you're playing SA or their club sides when they're fully up for it - like the Bulls v Leinster in the semi.

It is one of the risks of playing such an undersized player when it comes to those types of collisions (pretty sure I've seen Faf come off badly also). The outcome of those incidents is multiplied on smaller players. The Koch clearout a few seconds later on Doris could have easily ended the same way but Doris has more ballast and luck of where his head landed.

As for the lack of remorse and concern for an opponent, that reaction is far from what I want to see from a player on my team. However, it and the high fives likely come from the full siege mentality Rassie has instilled within the Boks. Even presuming him and Casey are on good terms post Munster, Rassie has stated his aim is to have his players hating the opposition as they go onto the pitch so that reaction isnt at all surprising. It will always be wild to me how some here still look up to Rassie.

• Advertisement

I’m a bit annoyed that an Irish player was carted off, badly concussed, with his neck in a brace because of the deliberate foul play of an opponent.

Apart from that, I’m fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

That's fair enough, I didn't know that.

I was wrong on the intentional part. Here's the video, the ball hits Kellehers knee, and then he move his foot backwards. He knew the ball was right there and he knew by moving his foot that direction would hit the ball. Claiming it wasn't intentional seems very far fetched.

What wound me up worse about the whole Casey incident was the TV Director zooming in on a guy who looked out cold on the turf - how horrific must that have been for his family and friends watching it?

And then, during the stoppage in play you’ve that prick on the tannoy (a real bugbear of mine in SA rugby games anyway) hyping up the crowd and acting like it’s a rave while the crowd do some shite with their phones and sing.

I understand it’s a sporting event and people are there to enjoy themselves etc but even a modicum of common decency would see fans act with some solemnity as a guy is stretchered off the field while receiving oxygen.

But this is the completely classless culture down there that Rassie champions.

What are you talking about? He’s in a practical chokehold by Le Roux, facing the complete opposite direction.

He’s not that dexterous or composed that he’s probably even fully aware of the direction he’s moving his right leg in in that incident as he’s simply trying to shrug off Willie le Roux who is hanging off his neck.

It is, at its most generous, a really marginal call, and in a game where there was shite and late clear outs and clear outs way past the ball happening at virtually every ruck, to go back for that and disallow a try is pure bullshit.
    As I said, in the exact same ruck, Bundee Aki is latched on for ages - that’s ignored, Willie le Roux then flops off his feet over the ball (ignored) and then plainly and obviously neck rolls Kelleher (also ignored).

It’s a shocking decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I still find it absolutely inappropriate that the ref gives such a severe dress down to Doris while an Irish players is lying unconcious beside them. Ref didnt even check on Casey. In fact, Casey's head nearly lands on the referees foot.

As for the tackle itself, the key thing for me is that he was driven backwards onto the turf, landing on his back and head, without any opportunity to protect his head as he landed. Its absolutely clear dangerous play, in my opinion. Its far more than just a late tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm talking about Kelleher knew the ball was next to his leg and he has moved his leg towards the ball and he has knocked it back. If a player know where the ball is, and moves his legs towards the ball the claiming it wasn't done intentionally is a very big reach. For the ref to assume it wasn't intentional in the scenario would be very odd.

It is one of the risks of playing such an undersized player 

No offence but that’s nonsense. If it’s JGP in that situation, the size difference is still massive and the end result is still the same.

Rugby is an inherently dangerous sport and that’s why it’s so important that referees are vigilant for this type of thing. Casey now has a concussion from a completely avoidable incident, but we don’t seem to care about brain injuries any more.

We all love a bit of shithousery but this is something very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

To overturn an onfield decision requires clear and obvious evidence. The only clear and obvious thing in that ruck was a neck roll on Kelleher.

Either the try stands as there is no clear and obvious evidence or it's an ireland penalty for foul play

You’re the one making that argument, and I don’t think it stands up to scrutiny.

It’s also worth pointing out it’s only an argument that’s popped up now that you’ve realised he has to do so intentionally for it to be a penalty, when you earlier claimed “it didn’t matter if it was unintentional”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

FYI I never made the claim suggested in the post

Haley isn’t even in squad so not sure what the point of comment is in first place

Post edited by Clo-Clo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It’s absolutely relevant.

If his foot hits the ball as part of his natural movement when being brought to ground then there is no infringement and it’s play on.

The offence is playing the ball when off your feet. It’s not playing the ball if it’s caused by natural movement from the momentum of being brought to ground

if you see Whitehouse in action he loves those moment, he will miss all the obvious stuff but anything that makes him front and centre he is all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

wishing a player gets injured?idiot

Mod: Warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Adamson is as poor as Whitehouse. But, its not like we aren't used to this. Pick ourselves up and get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

Scummy comment

Actually if that what you really wish for him just send him back to munster. They did a pretty good job of it over past 4 years.

Funny that people seem more exercised by a throwaway comment on an anonymous internet forum than by a guy getting carted off the field with his neck in a brace. Different perspectives on what is acceptable behaviour I guess.

To be clear, I don't hope he gets injured, I just hope he never plays for Leinster. I don't mind how that happens, if he reneged on his contract, if his visa got revoked, if he went off to join a cult in the Drakensberg mountains, if he finally decided to pursue his dream of acting on Broadway, any of these would be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Do you agree that Kelleher was off his feet when his foot moved causing the ball to come back on the irish side?

Snyman injury issues started long before he went to Munster

Also, at least once if not more he has come back injured from duty with Boks to Munster, including post World Cup

Based on the video he was looking to nail Casey, maybe because of the celebrations a few mins before.

Did he mean to knock him out? I doubt it somehow.

In terms of playing for Leinster, he is signed and if fit he will be playing, mostly as a sub I would expect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The best thing the ref (and other players) can do in the Casey situation I stay out of the way and let the professionals deal with it. Or....

Pearce : you ok mate?

Casey : yeah I'm great. Got knocked out cold and now theres 4 paramedics here strapping me to a stretcher and hooking me up to an oxygen kit. But otherwise I'm great. Thanks for checking, that was all I needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

It did it it's hole cost us, Pollard left more points behind than Crowley

I stayed away from here until I saw the match (tonight ), and I want to watch it (knowing the result) but without the group think from here and jaysus, the take on the game, the ref and certain players is nothing short of outrageous.

Ireland were poor, didn't get the rub of the green either but we lacked cohesion throughout the game. Overall it was a very disappointing game from Ireland, lots of players with a very mixed bag. Be interesting to see us turn it around next week.

Hopefully, Casey will be ok but he's tour is done now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement