Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jamesbond2022

They battled the best Munster had to offer in 06-09 finals

Bet a Clare team on the way down in 02 or 03

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

Pretty sure there is a JJ highlights reel on YouTube. Worth watching for everyone to remember how good he actually was. JJ was a defender. Hayes is a forward playing wing back. Both play different games in different t generations. I would have Hayes making it alongside JJ and Tommy in a combined half back line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Hope the county board and management team watched closely to today’s game and can see what it takes to beat Limerick.

You have to out muscle them. Clare did it a few years ago when they beat them in the round robin. Cork’s physicality today was out standing and the managed to do it for 75 minutes not 35.

I was saying for a while that Limericks weakness,if they had one was their goal threat. They seem to win games by scoring incredible points. When they did score a goal they usually got it because of the opposition teams mistake rather than their own sheer brilliance.

Cork kept a clean sheet today and that’s what won them the game in the end.

I believe that Kilkenny have a serious starting 15 team at the moment in terms of hurling abilities. But they aren’t on the same level of fitness as the other counties. This needs to be addressed asap if we are to compete next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

As a Clareman, I think some posters on this site are exaggerating the negatives re this kilkenny team. Quite simply ye should have had yesterday's game wrapped up by half time. Well on top with loads of unconverted goal chances etc. At the start of the second half Kilkenny failed to convert a few further easy chances that would have given them a very comfortable lead. Inevitably Clare came back into the game but at the end the margin was so small. Kilkenny are THE great hurling county. Ye still have loads of talented hurlers and should be competitive well into the future. The main problem for Kilkenny that I see is the poor Leinster hurling championship. I'm not comparing the quality of the teams but rather the relatively low key atmosphere at the Leinster games. I attend all Clare games and as many limerick games as I can. Each of these games regardless of the quality of the hurling is a great occasion; well attended, keen rivalry, banter, pubs full and plenty of craic. Kilkenny would revel in that type of championship with their skill, commitment and never say die attitude. Rather they are playing lacklustre teams in the current Galway and Dublin teams neither of whom show much passion. Kilkenny needs the emergence of another Leinster quality team, like Offaly in thec90s etc, to bring the best out of them. Just a few unsolicited thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭riddles

I can’t recall a Kilkenny scoring two goals and not conceding any and losing. The breeze seemed to strengthen in the second half.

I think when kk lose everything is wrong from management the county board s and c to many older players on the panel the underage structure not enough support at games etc

When in reality there are issues that need to be tweaked and changed or improvements made in certain areas but for the most part we’re not in a bad position

It’s just a frustration that we could and should be doing better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭kk.man

Hayes would not have stopped seamus callaghan going for goal in 2011, no human would. It's harder to score from full back.

Also that kilkenny team added 4 more all irelands the far side of their 4 in a row.

I can't recall any player scoring a great great goal (I'm not criticising Cody) and that was his sum total over 75 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Box to box

I agree there's always a huge reaction but yesterday will hurt everyone involved for a while. We were so dominat in the 1st half how were we not 10 or 12 points up. Is it fitness that's causing us to go out of games so much? This has gone on a few years. Could we spend the money and get in bigger names in this department? I still think we are poorly coached and give some terrible ball into the forwards. What will haunt management over the winter is again they were afraid to use subs. Molloy,Wall or Shane Murphy would of made a better impact because they have legs.Push up deegan. He is at a crossroad now. He needs to forget Cody's team. There's positions that just have to be filled. Corner back,center back and a few forwards. We definitely arent a millions miles off but look at Cork now lads like Hayes and downey came thru the underage ranks. It's being a massive joke the way the u20 particularly was handled. Need to appoint the proper people to these teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

No no no James Bond there’s an awful lot wrong with KK GAA at the moment which will have to be rectified. The three management teams will have to be replaced, no doubt about it if you don’t think so tell me what there objectives were and did they reach there target so they have to go Henry for minor, Mark alyward for U20 and Tom Mullally for seniors.

On a normal day a fully fit Mullen could have scored 1-2 so could m Carey

Not sure whether it’s fitness or concentration that we keep drifting out of games and not killing teams off it was happening in codys last few years with m Comerford and Dempsey involved

C Phelan was also involved in Cody’s last few years also

Our panel looked a bit stale yesterday the same old faces I think lyng kept on some of the older heads to give himself a bit of a foot hold in the job and experience around the place

I would imagine he expected more of his 20s panel to be on match panels and starting by now but nun have made the break through so he went with the older brigade

The panel will evolve lads will step away and hopefully that will allow some of the younger players to flourish and freshen up the panel it’s a young man’s game now

If the likes of Tj step away it means others will need to step up and take on more responsibility Mullen Donnelly Cody etc

E Cody definetly needs to spend a few games in the half forward line next year he seems to bottled up to much inside

We definitely need 2 backs a midfielder and a few forwards

Regards the coaching I think that comes from county board from underage up

The problem is we’re so married to the one style of play and way of doing things from the whole Cody era unless there is a county board clear out there is no fresh thinking they do what they ve always done because that’s what worked in the past

Like I don’t think we ll ever see a coaching ticket or manager from outside kk manage a kk county team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭C__MC

The swagger of cork forwards v kilkenny is miles apart

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

In their respective runs, Limerick lost 3 matches and drew 3, Kilkenny lost one and drew none.

Kilkenny also had to play a good Galway team in two quarter finals. Limerick went straight to semis each year.

Kilkenny frequently had players of the quality of Richie Hogan, R Power and TJ to draw on as subs!

Kilkenny had to contend with a great Tipp team that would wipe the floor with Cork of today in terms of hurling.

And Kilkenny went on nto win 4 of the next five after losing the five in a row.

Come back in 4/5 years time if Lim have won another 3/4, but any claim of supremacy over Cody's 06-15 just doesnt hold up as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Really enjoyed that Cork Limerick game today. Limerick were great champions but it's always nice to see the champions toppled.

Just a couple of observations. The ball throwing was off the charts today .. was great to see the ref blowing for it. He got 2/3 correct. Missed 100+ I reckon... Referees reluctant to blow for it in case they are wrong. Mossy yesterday was frustrating for example .... I really hope there is a rule change to remove the single hand handpass and only permit s handpass from off the hurl for the league next year... Although the unintended consequence here might be removing fielding/catching because if a lad gets bottled up, what's the way out?

Also, how ironic is it that both Limerick and Cork today went pretty much full on Codyball? Maybe he wasn't as much of a dinosaur after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Other than the U19 competition this year which was contested by 4 teams what is Mark Aylwards pedigree to get the KK U20 job?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Cork going Codyball? Give over. Cork play an elegant brand of hurling. Wouldn't be caught dead lowering themselves to the aesthetics of the dogmatic stuff KK and Limerick come out with. Flair, silky wristy hurling, and movement and running, they play beautiful stuff. An elegance I'm not sure KK or Limerick would be capable of playing, even if they tried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Nobody respond to that nonsense

I wouldn’t be replacing the senior management anyway there only there a wet week

All the senior teams that are struggling right now have all changed managers a lot more frequently the last few years Dublin Wexford tipp Waterford

Stability is what’s needed at senior level maybe switch up selectors or a different hurling coach but lyng should be kept

Regards targets for teams all 3 would have targeted Leinster and all Irelands

Seniors got to 2/3 national finals winning one and could have easily been in another senior final

U20s last in Leinster semi final by 2 missed a pen easy free in front of posts and hit the crossbar in second half

minors 2/2 national finals winning 1 and driving 22 wides in the other it was freak game for me

I don’t think there’s a lot wrong with kk gaa at the moment there’s a lot of good people doing great work in schools and clubs up and down the county

There’s a lot wrong with how the county board are operating alright that’s where the problem is and that’s how management are selected spending money the right way or even spending money at all

There starting to make changes with Michael Fennelly involved etc but I don’t think you see the benefit of what’s been done for a few years until the next cycle of underage players

I’m not sure who would be best for minor and u 20 jobs

I would rule out Henry as I’m not completely convinced on his managerial ability just yet also he needs a break

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Surprised how active the KK forum is here. I remember on the Hoganstand forum years ago, KK had one poster. Their county forum was a ghost town. Yet here, it's extremly active. Why was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I dont know why people respond to him or Peggy..,,. why would you?

the two losers had the 4 week break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The 2 winners did in 2022&23, wouldn't have taken much for both results to have been different this weekend, ye left so much behind ye between wides and missed goal chances, Cork were hanging on for dear life in the last 5-10 mins today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Seadin

Well they were well out of sight only for the ref making a howler with two terrible decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

ye it’s hard to know just throwing it out there for a reaction, but I don’t think Lyng brought on enough young lads? I think the minor would be ideal for Henry to renter the fold. Mark Alyward seemed to have been popular with the U 19 squad as was Gorta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bettysloft

Lads the simple fact is, Kilkenny scored 10 points from play v Clare (excluding goals) and Cork scored 23 points from play today v Limerick (again, excluding goals). It's not referee decisions, throw balls etc that cost Kilkenny, it's not taking the scores on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭flatty

I know it makes no sense (even less so now obviously), but I still reckon it was a thing possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Not sure who this is directed at?

No Kilkenny supporter has claimed that Clare won the game by virtue of any refereeing decisions or indeed anything other than the fact they were better.. We have universally said that our forwards didn't perform and that is the reason we were beaten..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Seadin

The disallowed goal and the free Limerick got after Twomney was blown for what the ref thought was a throw ball when it wasn't.

Advertisement