Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Possibly if Dublin got the starting selection correct. I would agree then it was more Dublin losing than Galway winning.

But looking at the match as a whole (ignoring the selection errors from Dublin) Galway defended superbly throughout the whole match and deserved to win it overall.

I have mixed feelings on the match to be honest. As it might have been Dublin's last chance of a Sam for a while. If the starting 15 was different who knows?

But at the same time I can't have any gripe about how the match went because Galway deserved it IMO. It was definitely the best defensive tigerish display I have seen v a Dublin team, since probably from Donegal in 2014.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Three teams that has reached the last 4 play cagey (Kerry,Galway,Armagh) and the most offensive team and who has conceded the most on route to the last four has been Donegal managed by Jim McGuinness who would have guessed that?

Hopefully we get good competitive semi finals and final to close out the year.

For 2025 all Div 1 teams should fancy their chances of giving the All Ireland series a right good rattle and I feel the next decade could see 4 or 5 counties getting their hands on the Sam Maguire title.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Three teams that has reached the last 4 play cagey (Kerry,Galway,Armagh) and the most offensive team and who has conceded the most on route to the last four has been Donegal managed by Jim McGuinness who would have guessed that?

Going back to his first stint a lot of people incorrectly associate Jimmy's Donegal with defensive football.

It all stems from the 0-09 to 0-06 semi final defeat to Dublin in 2011.

But Donegal realized that that sort of carry on wins nothing, and they were a changed team in 2012.

But people still can't look beyond 0-09 to 0-06.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

That's true and I find it ridiculous how Jim McGuinness gets blamed for today's defensive football and few good watchable contests. Even Colm Parkinson was at that the other day, then again he's not known for putting much research into anything he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Parkinson is a tool, if you're looking for reasoned analysis look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Football badly needs new teams to win AI and more better. Only 1 year since 2013 have anyone but big two won a AI. When you dig a little deeper more teams won Scottish Cup than gaa teams win AI. New blood and new teams are needed to make game more vibrant championship.

Can't blame Kerry or Dublin for that. Its up rest to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Those other Scottish teams need to sort themselves out and catch up with the multi million pound Glasgow global organisations. What could possibly stop them from competing with the top 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah of all the All Ireland's Mayo lost in that period, Donegal's was one of the more clear-cut: 2-11 0-13.

Rest of them were a succession of one-point losses (replays included) until the two Covid final losses to Dublin and Tyrone respectively (by 2-14 to 0-15 in both).

Not bad for a defensive team.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It looked to me as if Dessie Farrell`s tactics this year were exposed. He had been starting the lesser lights knowing that teams would start cagey against them and then brought on the old guard to further demoralise the opposition and finish them off. Against Galway he reversed that. Either fearing that with the lesser lights starting Galway would put up a score that would be difficult to catch, or hoping to demoralise them early. When the old gaurd tired, what he had coming off the bench to replace them wasn`t as good as Galway brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Dublin's dominance is unprecedented and is hopefully over. They've dominated football for 12 or 13 years. Kerry were weak for lots of that period.

Having said that, Dublin and Kerry will always be strong.

I agree though it's better for the broader game if we've different winners.

I think in the 90s there was 8 different winners from every province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭shockframe

No No No it's only Gaelic Football that has 2/3 dominant teams and not virtually every other major sporting event in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Musicrules

?

It's up to other counties to get their houses in order to compete with multi millionaire backed Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Is there media coverage of the All-Ireland football semi-finals which is helped by the two week build up?

People go on about games coming thick and fast but is coverage mainly in hibernation mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joebrosaysno

Do many Gaelic footballers play rugby? I am still trying to figure out how there aren't many Gaelic players on the rugby team as a duel type sport. Ireland would dominate rubgy with the amount of athletic power and skill in this gaelic football or is rugby a whole separate area of interest for the players of Gaelic football?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

I'm sure there's plenty who play both but anyone who takes one seriously will choose between them in teenage years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭obi604

In regard to Sundays match in Croker, if one was to bring 2x children under 10, is it full price or are there juvenile ticket prices?

I know the best tickets are gone already etc but just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Playing rugby at even provincial level is professional ????? And clashes with intercounty season ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The question has already been answered, but my tuppence worth, is that I suppose it is strange that there isn't more cross over particularly between GAA football and Rugby, but its down to the demands of the modern games and maybe the €€€ at the end of the day. Soccer and Rugby and even Basketball are either semi or full professional at pretty much all senior grades... soo if you are getting paid to play, you are training like hell all the time and you can't risk getting injured in another sport (particularly an amateur one).

The days of the dual GAA star are even numbered. I think Teddy McCarthy's feat in 1990 might never be equalled again. In fact the last time the same county even appeared in both finals was Galway in 01 and they didn't win both and didn't have any dual players anyway as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Avon8

Galway had a dual player, Alan Kerins. He was one of the hurlers leading lights at the time.

He also started every football game until the final, when he was rather cruelly a sub due to a combination of injured players returning. He made a second half appearance however

So he was very close, especially given how many regrets there were in hurling circles over that tight-ish loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭C__MC

Think Alan kerins started the hurling but only came on as a sub in football. Sean Óg came close in 1999. Dublin hurlers nearly made the final in 13 same as tipp footballers in 16. Was seamus Kennedy on both panels in 2016 for tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭MacDanger

There should be juvenile tickets for a fiver for the kids (Cusack or Davin only)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭threeball

It's amazing that it won't be near a sellout and yet they're confining kids to the Davin with much better seats available elsewhere. Typical GAA crap. Sell the tickets that are available to whomever wants to buy them and you won't have half empty stadia. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭obi604

ah ok, so you reckon wont be even near a sellout? thought a lot of Donegal would travel, not so sure on Galway.

had a look on ticket master……. not very clear where juvenile tickets are, but then checked another website and has below as you say

pity they holding back tickets like this

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joebrosaysno

Not sure why Gaelic football is not a professional sport because the players at county level generate a lot of revenue for the GAA. It seems to be a terrible waste of potential firepower for rugby that so many powerful athletes play an amateur sport and risk injury all the while having to hold down a full time job and juggle training sessions around free time. I can only imagine the rugby team Ireland would have if it had all this extra talent pool to pick from. I think they would be unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Looks like the price of juvenile tickets has doubled from 5 to 10 since last year. I appreciate the GAA reinvests most of its cash but having cheap tickets for kids is an investment in itself, no need for that increase IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Simply put because official professionalism would kill the the ethos of the GAA. Then you immediately come under the Free Movement of Workers EU law etc. The intercounty teams/clubs will hoover up all the best players from around the country. There won't be the same level of attachment to either the club/county as a result.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It would ruin the sport. You'd have players moving clubs and counties all the time. I'm surprised more players don't move counties already. There must be brilliant players in Dublin who would easily start for Wicklow or Louth etc..

Also I think there would only be enough money for it to be semi-pro at the most.

Rugby has only 4 professional teams.

The LOI has 10 teams AFAIK are professional but the pay is poor for most players.

Maybe if they came up with a system that every intercounty player gets the exact same pay regardless of how many games they play or win, then there would be no incentive to move.

So for example David Clifford would be paid the same as a sub for Leitrim.

Maybe at the end of the season, there's a pot of money that's divided equally between every intercounty player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

A friend of mine, a primary school teacher, in the past brought groups of his students to Croke Park and told me that for him the view of the games might not have been as good from the Davin, but when it came to supervising them it was more than balanced out than if they had been in the Hogan or Cusack.

Advertisement