Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stop reading the news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

My basic point is most of this "news" is not news. It's sensationalist. Murders and rapes. Celebrity news.

News is something you should know as it will impact on your life.

We have to have open justice and rape trials are important. Obviously. But we all knows these terrible things happen. Reading your 100th rape trial story won't change a thing.

The news presents Ireland as a totally terrible place and it's not. Science is badly reported.

Anyway I could go on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭ronjo

I used to get most of my news from Twitter but I deleted it 3 weeks or so ago and I am really happy I did.

Got overloaded with info there the majority of which was completely false or irrelevant to my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Redacted Circular

Yes absolutely. Too much news is toxic and makes people miserable and combative. Look at Boards, people fighting the same battles, day in day out, accomplishing absolutely nothing.

As the zoomers would say, we all need to touch grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The legendary Bill Hicks pondered this phenomenon some decades ago

You know my problem? I watch too much news. I don’t know if you ever, ever, ever sat and watched CNN longer than, say… …20 hours in one day. I’ve got to cut that out. If you ever watch CNN headline news for any length of time it’s the most depressing effing thing you will ever do; “War, famine, death, AIDS, homeless, recession, depression, war, famine death, AIDS…” Then you look out your window it’s just: [imitates the sound of crickets chirping] Where is all this stuff happening man? Ted Turner is making this stuff up! Jane Fonda won’t sleep with him, he runs to a typewriter: “By 1992 we will all die of AIDS – Read that on the air. I don’t get laid, nobody gets laid”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Probably would be perfectly content reading a Sunday newspaper in terms of staying informed.

Daily heavy consumption is probably not the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I disagree.

I think we all need to be aware (to an extent) of what is going on, even if not all of it directly impacts us. Not every rape, murder or assault trial is the same.

For example, the recent reporting on the horrific physical assault on a victim that resulted in a fully suspended sentence for the perpetrator, which was a complete injustice.

If it went unreported, "because assaults happen all the time" the situation would never change. If this case had gone unreported, the public outcry which followed wouldn't have happened. And maybe that outcry was not responsible for the DPP deciding to appeal the sentence, but it may have had a part to play in it.

Of course, everyone should only consume media to the extent that they can personally tolerate. It is possible to curate your own intake of all media, and sources.

That doesn't mean something should not be reported on because there have been similar cases in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ignore the fake news mainstream media. I get all my news from loons on Facebook and twitter and boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The comments section on news articles can sometimes act an enjoyable chaser of brevity or wanton insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I only buy papers at the weekend now as I still like to wade through articles and features over a cuppa - i guess if you’re online regularly throughout the day, you’re probably checking media sites from time to time just to see if there’s any big news story breaking or looking at your feeds if you have them -and then of course you might get sidetracked by an article or two that gets your attention.

I’d agree heavy consumption not the best - good advice but probably need to consciously put the media device down or just switch it off every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Of course the news is mostly about horrible things. People need to be informed about what is happening in their country. Does it mean that's all that's happening in the country? Of course not, but these things have an effect socially and nationally. Nobody should be sitting glued to the news for so long, and particularly in America where the "news" is more opinion pieces and entertainment designed to keep viewers watching and nodding along, but yes the news should report on what's happening even if it's horrible.

Otherwise our news reports may as well just be Anchorman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

“Now to take my own advice and throw away that book on why China is a threat to democracy.”

Unfortunately, as adults we cannot live in ignorance. China would love that. Sticking our heads in the sand will not serve our children’s futures. Unless they can speak Mandarin 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Depends :

A small item on the RTE news and in the papers two weeks ago about the Luas: the Luas is 20 years in operation. The person being interviewed said economists, journalists, and similar had predicted that the Luas would be an economic failure it would never get the passengers predicted, and so on.

I am sure the cost and construction generated acres of media comments and print media columnists giving out about the Luas project, yet it was a roaring success.

If you are a journalist commentator or economist be careful nailing your colors to the mast and the main point is the news is often completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

The news is often wrong? Economists or whoever the media turn to for opinions isn’t news, it’s opinions. The media will lay out a platform for different opinions about referendum etc. again, not news. I would expect what news outlets such as in Ireland publish as actual reported news has a high degree of accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Feel like a schoolteacher who's not being paid to read an essay on the summer break.(I'm not)

There is a part of us that feels we need to hear bad news. Two reasons for this are given

It's important to know what we are facing as we leave home each day

We feel better about ourselves for living in a safe country or avoiding a terrible fate. There but for the grace of God..

ok. so no. You used Rwanda as your example of a news source which depressed you. Rawanda is a very depressing story overall. Why did you read the book?

I read a book about Rwanda too many years ago. In this version of events, the story focused on the religious phenomena which occurred simultaneously, as apparations of Our Lady and Jesus himself were reported. The book was written from a perspective of the faith of one of the survivors who, believes they were saved as a result of divine intervention. Our Lady of Kibeho is a thing now. The reason why I read it wasn't because I wasnted to be depressed but because I like autobiographies. I like when people have an interesting story to tell. (Our Lady of Kibeho~Immaculee Ilibagiza)

The Irish writers center has lots of writing courses available throughout the year which you might find interesting . (I didn't read all the way to the end yet, I need some coffee)

As an aside, it didn't do anything for my faith on the contrary, it left me feeling like thier God was a bit of an a hole.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

My take is there in insufficient balance between good and bad news.

You can find minute by minute updates to every rape and murder, but radio silence about good news events.

The ironman on youghal was a good example of this. Near zero coverage beforehand of what is an incredibly important event, but two tragedies brought in every reporter in the country and it was front page news for a fortnight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. People should try and stay informed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 24,058 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If news is mentioned on social media, read the news and don't read any of the comments, because no matter how miserable the news is, the comments will increase the misery at least a hundred times, mainly due to the army of whingers and lunatics having their say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The solution to consuming media which makes one miserable, isn’t to consume no media, but rather broaden their horizons beyond the media they consume. There’s as much news which gives people enjoyment as there is news which makes people miserable, and then there’s the people who make the news because they read something which made them miserable and inspired them to do something about it, resulting in an outcome which makes them feel better having taken on a challenge and achieving a positive outcome.

Much as I enjoy the idea of ‘ignorance is bliss’, it’s an idea which lends itself to navel gazing 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭denismc

Jerry Seinfeld had a great quote about the news,

"It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper"

Before the Internet we got our news on newspapers and news bulletins on tv and radio, all the world's news was distilled into a few pages by editors and we went about our lives ignorant of much of what went on in the world.

Now we get all the world's bad news all the time 24/7 and it's creating unprecedented levels of anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

The absolute f**kwittery you read on comments sections of the likes of the Journal, twitter, boards and social media in general shows to me that it is a long long time since people in Ireland have been so ill-informed of the country we live in and the world around them.

I think everyone should read or hear at least the balanced headlines of Irish and world news delivered by a reputable news organisation every day. In fact, I know it's not realistic, but I genuinely believe that in order to have a vote you should be able to prove some kind of level of knowledge of the world around you and what you are voting for. Take for example the fact that Derek Blighe got over 25k first preference votes in the European election. Did 25k people actually decide, yes, I actually agree with the raving loon conspiracy theorist or were they just badly informed morons who bought into the anti-FF, FG & SF the-country-is-f**ked BS being spouted on social media and tick a box beside a name who wasn't mainstream without knowing remotely what he stood for. Obviously I don't know the answer to that but I believe it's the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why read them then? Genuine question.

Like, I never get why people think they're clever by promoting social media hacks who are unaccountable for what they say but dismiss the, admittedly deeply flawed, but accountable print and television/radio media.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

In general, yes.

I used to commute a lot for work - still do a bit of driving but nowhere near as much.

I was constantly listening to news radio. It occurred to me after a bit that the vast majority of 'news' was designed to cultivate clicks/texts or generally increase anxiety. I realized that my stress levels were being affected and I took the decision to stop.

I switched to podcasts instead - listening to subjects that actually interest me such as history, sport, music and movies.

I stopped watching any news programs or reading daily papers - I buy one Sunday paper a week and that does me perfectly.

The media's primary goal is not to inform you - it's to keep you tuned in and consuming their product. Having you in a constant state of anxiety is advantageous to them.

I'm definitely happier since I stopped consuming so much news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

One of the reasons that Hitler was able to kill 6 million Jews is because good people did nothing, ignorance is dangerous. Its very important that all serious crime gets reported and its important to know about some of the horrible things that human beings have done in the past. Yes it's depressing and no worries if some people decide to avoid depressing stories/news, that's fine but if everyone were to avoid bad news is would do more damage than good as more people would be ignorant about important things. Yes most people will do nothing about the bad news but it can cause people who have some power to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Even before the now widespread distribution of "news" by social media a friend of mine had given up on many mainsteam media journalists, saying for him news was being given the facts upon which he was quite capable of making up his own mind rather than reading the often biased opinion of someone else.

He, God rest him is long gone now, but for me it`s a wisdom that just gets stronger with each passing day.

I never said rape cases should not be reported. They should as part of an open justice system but they don't all need to be read. What's the argument for reading most rape cases? Ain't going to stop it. That's naive

I do think cases where sentencing is a joke need to be read. That's fair

A balance needs to be struck You obviously need the media to report scandals etc but it does not require you to wade into pages and pages of the stuff.

A lot of the nazi crimes were well known but a lot of countries still refused to take in Jews. Britain and Ireland included.

So internationally not sure of the value of reading about various international trajedies.

I deal with this in the article.

The world knew about Rwanda and did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

RE why read them…… I could try give you a "clever" answer and say it's important to try and understand the f**kwittery that's out there influencing peoples opinions…….. but I have to be honest and admit, the real reason I read/watch them is more of a car crash type fascination.

They were astounding in the run up to and aftermath of the recent local elections. Twits on Tiktok in particular who were going on about the revolution that was going to happen for weeks barely skipped a beat once it turned out they only got 100 odd votes. They generally went quite for the day or two of the counts to lick their wounds but were back on the train very soon claiming how they represent the people of Eire and how the election was rigged because the voting booth in their local center was picked up by a Garda with yellow socks instead of blue etc etc hence making the whole election invalid and how court cases are on the way etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

News is bad news and I think people are depressed because of it. There is an oversaturation.

20, 30 years ago news were still bad but in comparison they were mostly local news. Today it comes at us from all corners of the world and it's a permanent barrage of it. New deadly virus from permafrost in Siberia. Jungle hacked down in Papua-New-Guinea 300 more species extinct since last week. Another covid strain. Another river dead in India people pissin black. Gulf stream breaking down next week for sure. Civil war with atrocities in Kenia. Bomb in Gaza. Stray missile in the Ukraine. 13 year old rapes and kills 8 year old in Canada. 50 young students killed by militia gangsters in Mexico. And so on and so on. Never stops only becomes more and worse.

I mean how does anyone deal with that? I dont think human minds are designed for it. No wonder the young people are checking out or else have any number of disorders or both. I mean they dont even know of a time before all that, its all they know they grew up in that. Its mental.

Me personally I read my daily paper or two so I dont miss World War 3 and I know who's in government and thats mostly it. I have a small number of subjects I follow 'cos they're close to my heart but I have no twitter, insta, news websites, any of that sh1te. I never watch news channels, ever. I mooch around on boards a little, visit reddit but not current affairs and what I mostly engage with is sports. One needs to find a balance or else deep down you just want to top yourself every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The news is a bit like cod liver oil.

You might find it hard to take but you know it's good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Headlines only for me just to know what is happening then I turn the news off.

Advertisement