Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Lockheed

At this point I would like to point out the fact that the operational management team keeping the airline and passengers moving by cutting some flights is not the same executive management team engaging in negotiations with IALPA…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I have been involved in several significant IR negotiations (in another sector). In our case it was (and is) standard practice to have a negotiating team from the employer's side who operate with a defined mandate from their principals and who are not the most senior people in the organisation. Obviously they keep the key people briefed and, as necessary, seek clearance to move beyond any previously-agreed limits or positions. There is a host of reasons why this works better than having the very top people at the table (and who may not have the temperament or subject-matter expertise necessary for such engagements anyway). I don't know how Aer Lingus operate, but it seems that something similar applies. I've never seen it suggested that, in Ryanair, MO'L leads out on staff negotiations either, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

is there a list of flights yet that will be operated by Ryanair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm aware of that. I'm sure the executive management were involved in the decision and strategy to cancel X percentage of flights, while the finer details were handled by the operational management team. Either way it doesn't change my point.

That's fair enough, and it makes sense. However in this case you have some of the top brass at the negotiating table - remember that Moriarty was interim CEO before Lynne Embleton got the job and Dunne is the COO. When it gets to a point that a work stoppage is called and progress is not being made, it seems right to me that the person ultimately making the decisions should step in.

I have heard anecdotally that during some of the current negotiations phone calls were made to the CEO to either give an update or get approval. She was not always available to take a call as she was commuting to the UK. Frustrating for everyone involved during long days of discussions. If she's not going to be at the table, she should at least be available to take a call whilst negotiations are ongoing. It just seems to me that she is not doing as much as she could to get this resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I would have to say that from an IR point of view it’s better for the ‘top dog’ to stay out of the front line negotiations.Of course be available for consultation and guidance would be important .

I note your information on her non-availability is anecdotal and as I would have no information to either confirm or rebut that I can’t really comment.

Hopefully the LC will come up with something soon as for everybodies sake it’s a bad situation.

• Advertisement

I can see the rationale behind that. I suppose the fact that she turned up at the Labour Court once, though not for face to face negotiations, gave me the impression that she is not unwilling to get her hands dirty so to speak so I expected to see her at subsequent discussions or Labour Court hearings.

Yes, the story is anecdotal so I can't verify it myself. It's true that she regularly travels between Ireland and the UK so it's possible, but I'd like to think she has the sense to avoid airplane mode whilst negotiations are in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭notuslimited

Hi Lintdrummer.

I suspect that there is not an ounce of truth in what you have heard anecdotally. I think your last sentence above is the true reflection of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 StakeholderValue

The CEO has been a largely anonymous figure in the company ever since she was appointed in 2021. The only time she regularly appears is to give a patronising video message thank you to the staff at quarterly results and a very occasional invite for a well rehearsed “coffee and chat”.

I can’t recall any other pilot pay dispute of this sort of significance when the CEO remained so anonymous. Think MOL of Ryanair pilot strikes in 2018 and Alex Cruz of BA pilot strikes in 2019.

Where is Lynne Embleton?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭moonshy2022

Working from home, running an airline of reasonable size, wow I’d like to see that home office set up it must be incredible. Certainly anyway of sufficient quality to persuade the IAG overlords that it’s doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

She’s been anonymous since this started and flew home to London the weekend of the strikes…. On EI and all. For those who don’t know, she normally flies BA!

Noted in an IALPA posting on Linkedin (provided as a translation from the Danish original):

“DAT has had two Airbus 320s in Dublin flying to European destinations for Aer Lingus while the Aer Lingus pilots were on strike.

This means that DAT pilots on a Danish collective agreement may have operated flights during the strike period, and it arouses anger among the DAT pilots' union FPU that the pilots have been put in this situation.

It is a completely reprehensible behavior on the part of the two airlines. We are investigating how many of our members have inadvertently become part of this. Our members were not informed that they were involved in a conflict, and the companies have behaved completely unscrupulously,’ says Thilde Waast, who is chairman of FPU.”

It seems a bit difficult to believe that, over a few weeks of operation, the DAT personnel did not realise that they were operating flights on behalf of a carrier where there was a dispute and work-to-rule under way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

FPU just giving IALPA support knowing full well its meaningless and will not stop the operation.

Very interesting. I wonder though what the legality of the DAT pilots refusing to operate would be? They seem to be saying that they wouldn't have operated the flights if they had been aware of the conflict. If they do a lot of ad hoc lease work, I don't think it's that unbelievable that the individual crews involved were unaware of the conflict, it's the height of the Summer season, they are probably providing cover all over Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Wouldn't hold that against her, better status even if she is not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭notuslimited

Hopefully this will be accepted by the parties. I can see reasons why both might be annoyed with the recommendation but it will be hard for either to say no to it. Let’s hope we can put the last few weeks behind us. Does anyone know what is the likely timeline for the IALPA membership to vote on this?

Depends on what's in the full recommendation really I suppose. Is the document available online yet? If there are working conditions being given away, it's unlikely the pilots will vote in favour of it, given all they have stated in the media.

I'd expect the vote to take a week once it starts, but the union will have to meet to consider the recommendation themselves before the vote can happen.

I wouldn't expect Aer Lingus to issue their decision until the pilots have voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

2%

1st Jan 2023

1.75%

1st July 2023

2%

1st Oct 2023

3.5%

1st Jan 2024

1.5%

1st Oct 2024

3%

1st Jan 2025

3%

1st Jan 2026

1%

1st July 2026

The overnight allowance for Aer Lingus pilots would be increased by 10% from date of acceptance - with a further 5% with effect from 1st October 2025.

Pilots will not be asked for additional productivity or flexibility

• Advertisement

"Pilots will not be asked for additional productivity or flexibility"

Not entirely true. The contentious crewing agreement is being scrapped by the recommendation according to the RTE article. That was described as an agreement that gave pilots better work/life balance so I'd say there must be an element of increased productivity associated with losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Looks like a good, fair recommendation. Also of particular note is that the LC recommended that the "debt" the pilots owed for the 2019 summer crewing agreement be terminated (ie. absorbed by the company), and that the lower payscales for new entrants be reverted so that there is just one single payscale, terminating the 2022 agreement made during COVID. Hopefully this will bring an end to the disputes and IALPA can enter into productivity negotiations if higher is sought. I would not be surprised if this gets accepted by the pilots but now Aer Lingus end up being the ones blocking progress by rejecting it which would be extremely foolish, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Source: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0708/1458716-aer-lingus-ialpa/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It's great to see the labour court move quickly on this. Hopefully both sides will accept and then we can move on and enjoy the summer. The fact that the labour court is recommending a 17.75% pay rise, shows that the pilots were justified in seeking an increase. They aimed high and have a decent proposal by the labour court. Going all out for more than this won't be a good look for the pilots by the public.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

No info yet on those. Apparently it's 2 aircraft and 12 sectors per day.

Starts on the 11th. I'm sure some eagle-eyed person will see the details on the 10th.

As regards the previous posts about hiring in Ryanair. I fully concur that it looks bad from a PR/spin sense. But the airline needs hire-ins, perhaps FR were the only other airline with capacity, or where the most cost effective?

EI can't disrupt/disappoint their customers for the high morale ground. Those customers may be upset/appalled/entertained, but at least they are getting to their destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Assuming there's no productivity stuff in that recommendation, feels like pilots should accept it. Leave it to Aer Lingus to decline then if they're going to hold to that 12.5% mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Cant see aerlingus management accepting the recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

if no productivity changes the pilots be mad not accept it for maybe 1-3% at best

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Open to correction but I don't think that's what it's saying. My reading is that it is scrapping the "debt" element that was implied to be owed by the pilots, hence the 9.25% AL put forward for them as opposed to 12.25%, as the difference there was to cover that.

If the pilots accept it, the airline will too. It's almost unheard of for an employer to reject a recommendation if the staff side are taking it. Also, if either party rejects, the other will want to reintroduce all of their issues again in any further process.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Advertisement