Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of FG?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

are you actually serious! its clearly obvious why ffg have formed this pact between them, again, it maintains their position of power, of governance, its clearly obvious…..

opposition numbers simply dont stack up, the potential of a sf alternative just isnt truly possible under such conditions, sf would need to have very strong numbers, a majority, or near majority, in order to destabilise this ffg pact, and thats just not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever….

…again, voters only play a part in forming governments under pr-stv, i.e. its not entirely up to voters what governments are formed….

…this means its very likely we re actually stuck with ffg lead governments, and possible indefinitely…..

…they simply will not allow alternatives to be formed…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nothing is indefinite. Especially in politics, ask the Tories.

But the next government will certainly be FF, FG and others. If current polling holds up, FF and FG will get between 75 and 95 seats, both being the extremes of the margin of error. Lets say 85 to be fair. 88 needed for a majority, 100 needed for a strong and stable government.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think history will show that FF opting to coalesce with FG when they did and for the reasons they did led to their ultimate decline tbh.
    One of FG or FF faces decline if this coalition arrangement continues. Even though both are momentarily polling ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭pureza

I think it was a labour politician once said when asked by the late Brian Farrell,why did he lose his seat,it's because I didn't get enough votes

Talk to the voters,the alternatives are there on every ballot paper in the country

They don't get enough votes

Everyone voting has a free sovereign choice,take it up with them if they don't agree with who you want them to vote for

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Advertisement

Whoever is able. Soc Dems, SF, a revitalised Labour, a new party, take your pick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

I really think you’re missing the point here. FF and FG have ‘teamed up’ because they are more aligned politically than they are to SF - it’s not some ploy to spite SF for the sake of it.

As the transfers show, the majority of FF voters have FG as their second choice and vice versa. It would be extremely unwise for either party to ignore their own largely central positions AND the wishes of their voters to join up with a relatively extreme party like SF (I hesitate to call SF left wing as I don’t believe any legitimately left wing party can universally oppose property taxes).

SF are being ‘locked out’ of government for no reason other than their policies not aligning closely enough to work with anyone else and not having nearly enough support to make it alone.

Ireland voter preference is very broadly as c.50% status quo. 25% anti establishment/i want my roads fixed, 25% assortment of ‘free gaffs’, anti immigration, united ireland etc.

For any of the government parties to team up with the one of the very fragmented groups that the vast majority of people despise would be suicidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭65535

For me it's Anyone except FFFGLABGreen

Unfortunately those who think the same also think it's not worth going out to vote.

So you have complainers who complain but wont vote when it comes down to it.

And therefore the solid FFFG voters come out and vote for them.

I also think that FF & FG will never join together offically because then they would lose votes - as things stand they get the best of both worlds and then get together after the voting.

Their policies have no difference and any differences that are amplified before the elections are just electioneering to get people to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Looking at the poll numbers, it doesnt look like its going to be SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think the thread needs to be renamed, as it is out of date. FG up to 24% in the polls, up in the local elections on the general election result.

Even if this was the history forum and you were looking at a longer time period, FG was only on 20.5% in 1948.

• Advertisement

Mindful of your predilection to ignore the polls you don't like and your championing of the ones you get over excited about, I would remind you of the caveat that polls are like interest rates and they can go up and down. FG, your own party were once at 35% during the term of this very government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Interesting, before you spent the time telling everyone how great the polls are, they are a real sign of the population etc

Now you have totally switched.

Flip flopping one might say

Oh, but it's the elections, he says. Sinn Fein got 11% in the local elections.

Oh, but it's the change from elections, he says. Sinn Fein are down from 24% in the general elections to 11% in the local elections

Oh, but it's the change from local elections to local elections, he says. Sinn Fein are down from 15% to 11% since the local elections in 2014.

Oh, but it's the polls he says, the ones I think are relevant. Surprised he isn't spinning this poll as SF up 7% since the locals!!!

Everyone else gives up. Flip-flopping is a nice way of putting it.

Oh the flip flopping at this stage is hilarious. At this stage the opinion is changing by the hour and not the day anymore.

Interesting, before you spent the time telling everyone how great the polls are

For once back something up.
    Where did I say 'how great the polls are'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

2019 local election Vote Share

• FF - 26.92%
    • FG - 25.26%
    • SF - 9.48%

2020 election vote share

• FF - 22.2%
    • FG - 20.9%
    • SF - 24.5%

What happened in between these 2 elections to give SF a surge in votes? Not a whole lot I think.

Ok Mary Lou did extremely well in the TV debates pointing out how the other 2 leaders were destroying the country, specifically pointing out the issues on health and housing.

2024 local election

• FF - 22.9%
    • FG - 23%
    • SF - 11.8%

What's changed since then to give FF and FG the swing they had? Not a whole lot I think

The only real difference you can point to between the locals and the General Election, with full certainty, is that they are different elections

is that they are different elections

There isn't a political analyst or commentator I know of who doesn't see them as 3 separate elections with different concerns voted on and hence differing outcomes.

Lads are just on an over excited poll-roll here.

In the local election SF rightly got kicked out of the likes of DCC when they had got a majority in 2014 based on building units. SF led DCC managed to end up with less units in 2019 than when they started in 2014 promising to build. Also a 300m+ fund was handed to them by the government which not sure if used.

As I said, come general election a lot of the vote was revolt, excellent example is Violet Anne getting in as a TD, then the people of Clare wondering who is this person and why have they voted her in? her abusing people on facebook etc. Will people be so careless this time with their votes?

The run-around for excuses to explain Sinn Fein's current abysmal performance in both polls and elections continues. However, as that is off-topic, I'll say no more.

There's less housing in 2019 than there was in 2014 in Dublin? That's surprising considering nearly everywhere you looked in the last 10 years there was a new apartment block being built. i understand how other things like businesses and shops need to be built as well but I never thought there would be an actual reduction in housing since 2014. €300m does sound like a lot of money but in fairness for a city the size of Dublin it doesn't add up to a whole lot. The opera centre in Limerick is going to cost over half that amount at €170m for example

Not overly familiar with Violet Anne myself but presumably she was a paper candidate and rode the wave of high party popularity based on the leaders debates. If MLMD stays as leader there's no reason the same thing won't happen again when the next round of leaders debates will happen. Arguably MM and SH will be more ready for her this time so it will be interesting none the less

• Advertisement

What he means is that Dublin City Council under the leadership of Sinn Fein and the left from 2014 to 2019 sold off more social housing than it built, despite leaving huge funds provided by government sitting in the bank. We had councillors objecting to their own projects!!

This is more about the demise of FG but it's hard to compare one political parties performance without also talking about the performance of another one

Not being smart but the 2 civil war parties haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in the last 4 years on a national level. But on a local level maybe they have helped to fill potholes or something so get the votes that way

Ok but the physical number of units built, have they gone up or down in Dublin and by a lot or by a little? Also why do you specifically mention 2014-2019? What were those figures like between 2019-2024?

Who is making excuses here blanch?
    Seems to me the people making stuff up are yourself and Clo

I agree to a certain extent. It is difficult to stay on topic in a thread about the decline of FG, when there is no decline. One inevitably has to talk about something else.

DCC look after social housing, yes DCC ended up with less units available in 2019 than SF led DCC started in 2014

So when you ask why SF had a poor local election, you can see with results like that they would never hold a strong position to get reelected. The announcement on SF website saying how great it was they got voted in, control of DCC, and would build units was one of many embarrassing links deleted by SF. 300m in 2015 was a lot of money.

Also in terms of rental they managed to get the rent arrears to over 40m with one person evicted during the period

IMO this was clearly the start of SF strategy to making housing a huge issue in Ireland, this happened during population growth in Dublin and the repercussions then moved out of the city as people struggled to get housing. As we can see today SF still block every housing project in Ireland, even if they don't stop it they delay for years and drive up the price of units. So this plan is 10 years or so of SF blocking housing. Some people have copped onto this now.

Violet Anne is just one who pops up because of a number of issues, she was also dumped afterwards by SF. But she and others got voted in and people then left to clean up the mess. It was well reported at the time, it had nothing to do with Leaders debates, people just didn't wanted to piss of FF/FG, the likes of Labour etc had dirty bibs after previous partnerships so SF was last one on the list. Hardly a glowing recommendation for voting for them again.

Again this was a question you asked, I answered. It has been discussed numerous times on other threads.

The numbers are available, between 2014 and 2019 DCC ended up with I think from recollection 1400 less units in 2019.

Have DCC more units now? My understanding is yes they do because SF are not in control.

Are SF still blocking? yes they are.

ANyway it is off topic.

This thread is about the claimed demise of FG.

This comes after the many threads saying FF was in demise and nobody supported them anymore.

Needless to say I am still waiting for either party to demise

Ok so as I am not familiar with Dublin I had to google this… The bit of the story I was missing was that SF lost control of Dublin City Council in 2019 to (what I can only assume looking at the numbers) to be a coalition of FFG and a few indies?

They are back to being the 3rd largest party now behind FG and SD so obviously the people have somewhat forgiven them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭pureza

Btw,why wasn't this thread started 2 years ago when it would have been relevant? Why was it started by a SF supporter when SF is in freefall and FG on the rise and rise,does it make sense at all? The title is misleading and there is a thread discussing the current government already,a government all of whose parts are responsible for the topics being repeated here & discussed ad nauseum elsewhere

Daft

It was started because someone started a thread with the exact same name only SF in title.

• Advertisement

That is a rhetorical question.

We all know the reason it was started - deflect, distract, hide - from all the trouble that SF are in.

The title is nonsense.

Advertisement