Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options
1483484485486487489»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Randycove

it is only a red herring in a conversation about immigration or for people who have a major problem with immigration.

It is possible to see the illegal trafficking of people across borders, which a lot of this is, and not have a possible with immigration per se.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Obviously you are right.

However, to look into the latest election result, it would appear the only way Labour could have returned the massive majority on such a paltry popular vote would be the widespread tactical voting where people voted AGAINST the Tories rather for the Labour parties. This is not an accepted feature of FPTP as it is hard to identify which candidate should be voted FOR to achieve the result of voting AGAINST the target of utter hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The only way I see electoral reform happening anytime soon is if at the next election Labour find themselves with their majority gone (at the least this implies SNP retaking Scotland) and the only reason they won at all was Reform still tearing a chunk out of the arse of the Conservatives. Reform and Conservatives then doing some sort of SDP-Liberal type deal, scaring the sh!t out of Labour.

At best highly contrived sequence of events.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And you won't think the same will happen again with a more complex system?

Don't get me wrong, we need it. We needed it decades ago with the emergence of a pluralistic politics but there's no point in Labour spending political capital on a doomed referendum. FPTP can be changed with a referendum or an Act of Parliament. There is no need for structural change. The requisite change is cultural and political and we're just not there.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,766 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People forget that first past the post "is British" and all other forms of voting are "foreign".

Stop and talk to the English for five minutes about inches and miles and you will see just how protective they get of anything from the days of empire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Greens once again showing their elitist NIMBY credentials:

Bold action on climate change, housing and inequality but on nobody's backyard. Absolutely disgusting party and almost an argument for keeping FPTP along with Reform UK.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

There almost seems to be two completely different Green parties over there. One modern urban environmentalists and the other rural conservationists.

It doesn't really matter. I found Carla Denyer to be likable enough in the debates but the mask always slips at some point. To be fair, the Lib Dems ran a very NIMBY campaign in the Uxbridge & South Ruislip by-election but on e could argue that that was a tailored campaign for a specific constituency.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Any MP has a very easy path to getting their views in the press: issue a press release. Zero requirement for them to be paid for a newspaper article. The British public are already paying them handsomely.

All MPs (and indeed TD's here in Ireland) should be forbidden from holding secondary jobs and I'd go one further: they should be forbidden from actively investing: any shares/stocks/bonds etc should be locked into index funds or similar vehicles for the duration of their time in office. You can be damn sure most of Boris's mates made far more from their investments than they ever did from their salaries as MPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭drury..

Well that was mostly my point when the idea of banning double-jobbing came up

It just seems mostly unworkable overall

Where would u draw the line on a second income

Another poster had a much more reasonable idea of using the broadcasting laws to shut Farage down

And i 100% agree that Farage needs to be shut down. I spent my childhood in the UK and there's so much to like about the place.

It's sad to see its current predicament and it's at times like these people like Hitler and Farage step into the void.

• Advertisement

does that mean no more MPs on “have I got news for you”?

Where do you draw the line on a second income? Pretty straight-forward: on a second income. No other form of employment allowed while holding office and any financial assets to be managed by a blind trust for the duration of the term.

Jimmy Carter voluntarily did exactly that almost 50 years ago when he signed over control of his family's peanut business before taking office. Anyone not prepared to do likewise is unworthy of holding office imo.

There's a very good argument that this would be no bad thing. For all of Boris Johnson's many, many faults and failings, it's undeniable that he can be very witty. Providing him a platform where he could make light of the many scandals he was caught up in almost certainly helped his political career.

It's a point that's been made many times by better political minds than mine but the British (and Irish imo) propensity to satirise or make fun of governments incompetence and / or corruption acts as a societal pressure valve that results in laughter at actions that could, and often should, result in righteous anger.

Contrast us or the British with the French: when government acts against the wishes or interests of the Franch people, they take to the streets. When they do it in Westminster, the most likely reaction is a biting cartoon on the cover of Private Eye, some memes on Twitter and a roasting on The Last Leg / Have I Got News for You etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jimmy Carter was President of the US, it is not comparable to a backbench MP who fits in shifts in the NHS when they can for example. Or indeed a backbench MP with a family business who now has to hand over control of it to a blind trust!?

It's a far, far too broad restriction and it is not going to do much for improving the calibre of MP.

I'm really struggling to see why someone is so keen to defend second incomes. I don't see why MPs should be above everyone else in this regard. There's also the issues with corruption as well. George Osborne is a great example. Why should he be editing a major newspaper while serving as an MP?

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There is, to my mind, an argument that Johnson, Mogg and Farage's careers were given huge boosts thanks to HIGNFY's deployment of those policitians as an incorrect assumption the audience was laughing at them. Hohoho, aren't these toffs so funny, so innocent etc… when turned out all this time, all three men simply cultivated & boosted their media profile in playing to the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As far as I know, sitting MPs aren't paid for HIGNFY, Lembit Opik had to film the show the day he lost his seat in 2010 and commented about how he could finally get paid for it and not take the abuse for free.

That is a long enough time ago now, though.

so no paid TV or radio appearances, no guest speaking, no newspaper columns and definitely no writing of books?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

A very impressive start and I'm envious of this "Change" the UK has and wish we had something similar

Jess Philips seems to be the biggest recipient of fees from them, earning £5000 as a guest and £15000 for hosting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭drury..

Very hard to ban all second incomes but it shouldn't be hard to ban MP's from developing second incomes while sitting as MP's. Getting offered jobs while your an MP is way too open to corruption.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly..

Very significant difference between someone maintaining an interest in their own pre-existing business after taking office vs. the multitude of highly paid "consultancy" roles that only appear after they take office.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Some English regions were given the opportunity to have Regional devolution and they voted against it. Tough as the man says.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The imposition of PR-STV on Ireland was also British. Thank God eh!

That's interesting. What part did they have to play in us choosing PR ?

It was part of the legislation to set up the Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland home rule legislations basically. Designed to stop exactly what its promoted as doing in GB - letting a party with ~40% get a huge majority.

NI used it for Stormont for one or two elections before the Unionist majority changed it to reduce the number of Nationalist MPs; we kept it despite the IFS not being the same as Southern Ireland.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
Advertisement