Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bite, what would you do?

Options
  • 08-07-2024 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Very long post, so apologies in advance.

Bit of background. We have 2 dogs. A pug x that is 9 years old. We've had her since she was a pup. Very friendly. Rarely barks. Doesn't like being picked up, but wouldn't get aggressive if you had to.

2nd dog is we think, cairn/scottie/maybe schnauzer mix. Around 5/6 yrs. Belonged to my late father, came to us when my Dad passed away suddenly 3 years ago. He came from a rescue as a pup, I don't know his background before that. He had a few problems when he came to us. Wasn't house trained. Would be protective of his food. Could be aggressive, especially with small children. We house trained him and TBH with a bit of work, he's come on leaps and bounds. A lot more gentle, quite affectionate. We do keep him away from small kids, it's not a risk I would take. A different story when he goes to the vet, he has to be muzzled. We learned that the hard way.

So, to the problem. They both sleep on our bed. I had reason to move him this morning early and I went to lift him. And he bit me on the arm. Really dug in, punctured the skin, minimal bleeding. He wasn't asleep at the time so I didn't startle him. I got a terrible fright, got very upset. I didn't react when it happened, just went downstairs to my husband.

My question isn't what should I do, but what would you do? It's the second time he's bitten me, first time was at the vet when his muzzle slipped. It just reinforces the fear that he could do someone a serious injury. He's a small dog, and I absolutely adore him, especially because he's a link to my Dad. But I've found today that I'm nervous around him and that's not good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Shouldn't be sleeping on the bed. He thinks he's top dog now i.e. your dog think it's equal to you in the 'pack'. This happens all the time when people humanise animals, animals that need to know their place in order to thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tme to put the dog down. Once bitten twice shy. If a dog bites a human it needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Recliner

We're 100% guilty of humanising both of them,but is it too late to move them downstairs to sleep.

I'll be honest, that's why I asked what would you do, as opposed to what should I do.

I'm just not at the point where I can make that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I disagree - you worked on him in the past you can do it again - quite simply he bit you- there’s been no consequence of this bite- he’ll do it again - I think it’s mad the two dogs are sleeping with you- they should be downstairs - it takes effort and time to break a habit but if you want to keep your dogs you need to change your habits- you’re the problem right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 PENPEN500

Sorry to hear. You're lucky he didn't bite someone outside your house or you woukd have to him put to sleep. I'm not an expert but was told that positive reinforcement training can work well. Try that. Maybe muzzle when out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I don't intend to be insensitive here, but you are being terribly weak and careless here. It's not a question of if the dog will bite again, but when.

You allow the dog to sleep on the bed, sending a strong signal that it is at the same level as you. To make it worse, you say it's too late to change that now. NO IT IS NOT. The dog should be put down, but as you won't do that, the very least you should do is stop it sleeping on the bed. Stop it sleeping in the same room. Let it sleep downstairs. It is both selfish and dangerous for you to continue letting either dog sleep in the room.

This is not a once off event. The dog should be put down, but failing that, you need to move it out of your room. I have always had dogs as part of my family. We have lots of animals here, but if there is a proven danger, I wouldn't hesitate to take action and neither should you.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭headtheball14

first I know how you feel I also have a rescue who has come on so much and yet still leaves.me despairing every now and again. fair play for bringing them on so much. it's normal.to.lose confidence and feel you can't go on but it's possible to rebuild the relationship .

My dog doesn't bite but is aggressive to other dogs again it's about managing the situation. I also don't trust them with kids. I am able to manage this now but it took some work.

First thing they are resource guarding , so I wouldn't let them on your bed and that's fine . I think most dogs shouldn't get used to sleeping in your bed..I let mine on my terms only .you can absolutely manage this situation. They can sleep downstairs fine .

I would recommend a trainer or have a look at the dog academy tv show for advice.

since they came.from a rescue if you don't want to keep them then you should contact them to rehome but a bit of training for you and them will give you some peace of mind . The rescue may even help with their own trainer or recommendations, mine did and I definitely wouldn't have kept her without their support

I would say you should probably get them checked by a vet that they're not in any pain or injury as some times that can be the issue too.

Good luck with them

The difference a lack of a punctuation mark makes.

I meant to ask if it was too late to change the sleeping habits, I didn't mean to state that it was. I simply forgot to put in the question mark. I was wondering why I was getting quite heated responses.

Anyway, mods, can the thread be closed?The question has been answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I meant to ask if it was too late to change the sleeping habits

Of course it's not too late, as someone else said here, you've already invested work in to the dog in question, which is great, so you can do the same again. Personally OP, I don't think letting him sleep in a bed is a problem anyway. Putting him down as some suggest wouldn't go down well with me either, if I was in your shoes. If it was me and any of my dogs, I would try to find out what's the cause for his behaviour, talk to someone, dog trainer, behaviourist, firstly to my vet. It might take time tho and patience and money..

When you mentioned the second incident, are you sure he was awaken? Dogs can have eyes open, even you can see their eyes do follow your movements and still be half asleep.

Anyway best of luck to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If the dog is around small kids he must be muzzled. Don't risk that.

Get both dogs off the bed.

There must be training advice out there.

We had a dog the nipped everyone. I don't think he broke skin but it was 20 years ago ago. It can happen.

Give it a few more months

Advertisement