Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Would James Woodlock be worth a chance? I’d expect he’ll probably move up to Tipp U20, but if Cummins was to remain at U20 and Woodlock was available he’d be an interesting appointment. He’s done a very impressive job with Tipp minors over the past few years.

Whether he could translate that to a county outside of his own and especially at senior intercounty level, would be interesting to see.

Saying that, I fully expect Derek McGrath to get the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

A lot will depend who will want the job ie who will apply for it

Where are we really at now? Is there an All Ireland in this team?

Over the past 5ish years people might have looked and thought, I could get an All Ireland out of those lads, would they think the same now?

If it's someone outside the county they will view it as, if I could do well there it could place me well for my own county.

If it's someone within the county they will view it as trying to get to an all Ireland.

We can all speculate and list who we would or would not like to see manage but at the end of the day it will come down to who applies for the role, and it might not be over stacked with applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Lads with Shefflin available suddenly there is a clear and obvious candidate available, if he wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

He doesn’t. He said so on GalwayBay FM

I also don’t see what makes him a clear and obvious candidate. Nothing from his time with Galway anyway. His time with Ballyhale, possibly, but then we have Darragh O’Sullivan who also won a club All Ireland.

I agree with this, people will jump to appoint someone from another county based on either club or underage success but then will say the likes of Sean Power or Darragh O Sullivan don't have the experience or credentials for the role.

That always baffles me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Christ Brian Flannery was dire on Lar Na Pairce. Was very 'ehh, ahhh'

Not John Mullane on the indo podcast level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

unlike DOS he is currently available and actually has intercounty experience. If your willing to dismiss him because he didn’t do anything with Galway then your writing off every other Galway manager of the past 35 years bar Donoghue aswell, I’d be happy to give him the reigns there are no outstanding candidates but if you say he has ruled himself out then conversation over

Best of luck to the Senior Camogie team today

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Thanks to Davy Fitzgerald for his service. I'm not the biggest fan of his management style and would have preferred him to go last summer, but he did reasonably ok for Waterford this year in comparison to 2023. Credit where it is due.

I have long been amused by the level of animosity towards Derek McGrath's management style on this forum. We got to within 3 points of winning an All-Ireland final in 2017, the closest since 1963 and yet his tenure is reviled. I get it that many people did not like the defensive style of play etc, but no other former manager has as many committed detractors in Co. Waterford. It is as if there is some other sort of resentment behind it…..

The bottom line is that DMG is a really good hurling coach and manager of players and their personalities. Perhaps he could benefit from assistance on the management side from someone who is good at dealing with the co. board, fundraising etc and maybe there could even be a case for a co-manager type situation. But in terms of hurling coaching and knowledge of the game, the guy is well up there. In a Kiely/Kinnerk set up, he could be better in the Kinnerk role. He would also be good to find and bring new young players forward to the senior set up, which is badly needed due to our team's age profile.

I am not that naive to think that the current board would be likely to offer him a role (unless they come under pressure from the public to do so) and I doubt he would ask them for it, only to be then refused. So I guess we will just get whoever is handily available, with some sort of name recognition and stumble on without getting out of Munster.

Having said all of that, I would have no objection to Darragh O' Sullivan getting the job, were he to be offered it. He would also be good at bringing on new talent. I do not see a role as manager yet for any of the management team just gone. Perhaps in the future, but right now we need a safe pair of hands who will also bring in more young players and get them ready for the top level.

Fair play to Clare for getting that result yesterday without firing on all cylinders. If they were to hit peak form in the final, who knows but that they could win it.

The last thing we need is a repeat of 2019 with a Padraig Fanning type appointment. For some reason it didn't work out and if he had stayed on we (which the CB supported) might not of got the Liam Cahill years

Sean Powers time may of gone even with the recent All Ireland Final appearance in the Camogie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

If we’re playing fantasy manager, how about a Seán Power/Derek McGrath ticket? Could they get on? One of them might be more suited to a forward facing role and the other working away from the glare of the cameras. Two of the most successful Waterford managers of all time.

Right, I’ve convinced myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Only for we slipped up against Tipp, Cork would have been out and now they're in the AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭decies

cork wow dead and buried until we coughed it up against Tipp. Rewind a couple of years if you said Limerick would be out in semi maybe it’s our year . Unfortunately next year it looks like it’s going to be tougher in Munster than ever .I hope the search for new manager goes well .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

On the managerial front at least our stock is a little higher than it would've been 12 months ago if Davy walked out then. The few decent championship performances might bring one or two interested parties in that otherwise wouldn't have considered it but I suppose the reality is we'd be looking at the same names anyway.

I don't envy the new man that comes in, he'll have a job and a half on his hands trying to plot a course through Munster next year. This year was set up perfectly fixture wise, next year doesn't look like it's going to be any easier. Even now, most will believe Munster is already sown up next year with the only question being which 1-3 positions Clare, Cork and Limerick will occupy. So from the start the new boss will have to create a bit of a siege mentality.

Cork's win, while great for hurling, only looks like a route out of Munster for us becomes harder in 2025. As decies alluded to above, if only one of our lads rugby tackled that Tipp player out at the sideline a few months ago in the dying minutes, Cork would've been gone. Tiny margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rockable_audio

Derek McGrath was useless as Waterford manager. Do people not forget some of the performances under him? Munster final 2016 we got slaughtered in the Gaelic Grounds by Tipp, Patrick Curran running around like a lost dog on his own inside the Tipp half of the field. Kilkenny in Croke Park in 2016 Mcgrath should have been sacked only for the draw with Kilkenny, a game we should have won only for we dropped deaper and invited pressure on ourselves and they got the goal near the end to draw it. Tipp 2018, Cork in Munster in 2014 and 2017. The Munster final in 2015 setting us up and not having a go while Sean Power played some of the best hurling I've ever seen with u21s. He doesn't develop players he ruins them with his nonsense sweeper tactics. How is running around on your own inside the oppositions half of the field developing a young player? The way he chose to take Brick Walsh out of the halfback line and throw him into the forwards while DJ Foran, Patrick Curran and Stephen Bennet watched on. I'd fear for Padraig Fitzgerald and Paddy Fitzgeralds development if he got the job. McGrath doesn't develop youth he is a cancer in Waterford hurling. I would have given this job to James O'Connor of Lismore but after watching the display from the minors this year against Galway in Thurles playing with a sweeper with the wind in the first half I got flashbacks of the 2016 Munster final and thought to myself we should stay well clear. Sean Power is the only option for this team. Our u21s played some outstanding hurling under him even in 2018 when nearly all the stars of the 2016 u21 team were gone to old to play we put in a magnificent performance against Cork who had Coleman, Kingston, Darragh Fitzgibbon etc. I really fear for us going forward especially with this county board as they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. God help us with our next appointment

Post edited by rockable_audio on

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

God almighty what a rant. Brick Walsh was exceptional at wing forward, winning an all star in 17. Take a deep breath. Players you mentioned watching on all got ample opportunities.

Post edited by cbwfd on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rockable_audio

Brick Walsh was brilliant but why not throw in the likes of the young players I mentioned and keep Brick in the half backline? The same way he stuck with his own clubman Jake Dillon no matter how he performed in the forward line. Those young players didn't get enough opportunities in the championship. I remember against Tipp in 2018 and he subbed both Curran and DJ Foran when they were flying in that game and we sat back and blew an 8 point lead cause he wanted to shut up shop and see it out. That is no good when you are trying to develop players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I think the rogue goal v tipp ruined us that year, Gleeson caught a ball on the goal line that was deemed to have been taken over the line with the tv cameras showing later that it was never a goal. Then something like 5 players getting injured almost one after the other in Cusack park……😡😡😡

re this year tiny margins killed us and let Cark progress. Tipp game followed by the 65 v Clare that the umpire didn’t actually know that to give and another day Tadhg de bourka would have caught the ball and whistle would have blown….😡😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5948ai

The fine margins are a killer and the fact we got on the wrong side again is a sickener. The results at the weekend show the new format is not as equitable. Those not in top 3 in munster being penalised. It's conceivable that it might be many years before we get back to Croke Park. It could be back to the dark old days and will bury the profile of the game in the county again!

Post edited by 5948ai on

• Advertisement

3rd and 4th team in Munster are being penalised? Cork finished 3rd and are in an All Ireland Final? I'm not sure what you mean here?

Mistake. Those not in top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

To anyone who thinks 4 should qualify from a group of 5 just look at the farcical structure that hasn't worked in the football championship.

I would do away with the munster and Leinster championships or keep them as a separate competition. What would be wrong with a group involving Waterford, KK and Wexford. Great local rivals. With this new format we might not play these in championship for years... The format is simply not as fair as what was there previously.

Post edited by 5948ai on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

the snr. Camogie seems to have a format like the above if I’m not mistaken……Munster and Leinster totally separate followed by an ‘all Ireland series’ with two groups of the top teams….would this work in the hurling…?

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

What might change the structures is if attendances suffer and revenue goes down. However the Munster attendances are very good, even allowing for Walsh Park being a small stadium. Despite being a tenner cheaper Leinster attendances are very poor. The distance between some counties such as Galway and Antrim is a factor but even home fans alone should get higher figures than have been seen. It's ironic for those who place 4th and 5th but it is the revenue generated from the Munster championship that may keep the current situation in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

It's the councils that will keep the system in place. We know this well ourselves from the East/West self serving divisional boards and everyone's desire to be a chief that means sensible structures often don't prevail if it threatens the existence of those that serve on the boards. Or even simply diminishes their power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭decies

just go beck the way it is you could be still in the championship early August no matter how Munster went . Now the Waterford flags get left in drawers because the damn thing is over in a blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

The system is the system. Let’s not look petty because it hasn’t worked out for us. Focus on the play on the pitch. Whoever comes in, I’d throw the budget at a **** psychologist.

• Advertisement

But you could also have a group of Waterford, Galway, Antrim and Clare, attendances in that scenario could be hit dramatically, depending on the home/away fixtures.

Advertisement