Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Clare were excellent in the 2nd half, have already beaten Cork in the championship and won't have any mental hangover about Cork as they do about Limerick. Absolute 50 50 game, should be a great final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭C__MC

They played better yes in second half but kilkenny played functional boring hurling. Long ball long ball. Cork forwards are very dangerous in comparison and pose way more of a threat. Although taking down the champions in semi finals hasn't always boded well for a final, look at mayo in 21

• Registered Users Posts: 34,140 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What a game to be at. Ya can't beat the hurling. I will enjoy it for few days before the nerves kick in for final.

Don't know where start with Cork. I dont think I could see many faults in that performance. Limerick did miss 3 or 4 easy scores but Cork had 3 goal chances and soft goal ruled out. I won't lie I was nervous at half time but some second half by Cork. When I saw us at 7 points up I was thinking to myself its going too good.

Just a note on Limerick. What a class team they were to win 4 in a row, you are up there with great teams. But I want to applaud the players after the game. They clapped Cork off field and stayed on field when most teams would walk away. It should not be forgotten by Cork supporters. Limerick fans I spoke to after game were terrific too. Showed great sportsmanship.

It's easy say those things when ya win I appreciate that, but still the atmosphere from both sets supporters was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

since 2013 how many times have cork and clare played each other in championship?? and what is the win/loss ratio at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭French Toast

Be great for the game if we had say 5 different winners over the next 5 years and the likes of Offaly bringing their u20 success to senior level. Exciting times.

🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭C__MC

Off the top of my head

2014 : Cork win

2015 : Cork win

2017 : Cork win

2018 : cork win x 2

2019: clare win

2022: clare win

2023 and 2024 : clare win

5-4 cork since 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'm not from either county. But really enjoyed the match yesterday. Brought my 2 kids to it, and they were in awe of the noise and atmosphere. I've enjoyed the Limerick matches over the years - great players. But it good that there are a couple of new teams in the final this year.

It's a pity that the win is tarnished on here by the likes of the arrogance from Seadin, Golden Miller etc. Nobody likes a sore loser, but an arrogant winner is worse. There was a comment above about 31 counties shouting for Clare in the final. And I think that will be the case. I'll be shouting for Clare anyway - just because there are too many arrogant Cork followers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Cork fans giving us all a sneak peak at what England will be like if they win their semifinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There’s more comments about Cork fans than by Cork fans. Alright lads, we get it 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Every county has clowns following them both in person and online, although Cork seem to have a higher proportion than normal judging by some of the posts here and sone of the hurling chat groups on Facebook...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

The brother in law is from Cork, he's told me many times the the Cork arrogance thing is something that your brought up with. He grew up in a time when they made all Ireland finals every other year, it's hard not to be arrogant with that happening. Honestly it doesn't bother me too much any more. Its just part of who they are really.

I remember walking out of croke park in '13 and any cork fan I met couldn't have been more humble in defeat, now with all that said, they're certainly a crowd of fans that you'd love to hate, sort of like a pantomime villain ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭High bike

What really got me yesterday was the booing and jeering every time Gillane or Byrnes stood over a free,and it wasn't just the usual muppets on the hill either.

It's funny last week it was Cork who were called the "crybabies".

Life comes fast.

I never said Cork will win the final. I said it's a 50/50 game and expect Clare to be difficult to beat. If thats arrogance I don't know what isn't? Limerick have been great team last few years and have given us a few trimmings along the way but it was nice to get a result against them yesterday when it mattered.

Sure yesterday was a historic day as Cork fans were first ever to boo a free or a player. We should be in jail and kicked out of championship for that behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,929 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I actually like em for it. If I was from Cork I would lean into it full tilt.

Limerick city was short of confidence for far too long and could have done with that Cork attitude. Were slowly developing one now thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I don't understand why neutrals would be shouting for Clare or considering them some kind of underdogs. They beat Cork in 2024, won the league final and won the 2013 AI. This one should be very close, and I'm hoping it's as good a game as the 2013 finals.

No if people want to just stick it to Cork supporters then that's a different story entirely, but I don't think any team gets away without having "bad supporters". I won't name names but you can put a lot of counties in the same category!

I agree. I actually read an article on RTE website yesterday crediting John Allen for starting to bring that attitude in to Limerick and John Kiely continuing it in spades.

I guarantee many of that Limerick team will already be daydreaming about the gaelic grounds in 2025. After the game yesterday Kiely said the team wasn't really focused on the "5 in a row", but rather on pushing the standards higher and staying ahead of everyone else. That's the right mindset. "Plucky underdog" is no way to be: lean into the "we can beat anyone" attitude. That's what makes Limerick a great side, they genuinely believe they'll beat anyone, any day, even when they're well behind on the scoreboard. It was the same with the KK team under Cody, they were never beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,836 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't think anyone would begrudge Horgan bowing out with an AI. Like Ciaran Whelan in the football it would be a shame if he doesn't win one in a fortnight. The fans though can go overboard with the level of arrogance and superiority. They have similarities to English soccer fans.

If you're looking for incredible levels of arrogance and superiority, I absolutely promise you there's as bad in Ireland, outside of Cork hurling fans!

And spare a thought for the Cork footballers, who could do with a tiny dose of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

While nobody could begrudge Hoggy an AI, his performance yesterday might not warrant a starting spot in the final. Harsh?

Limerick fans in fairness were pure saints for the few years they were winning and weren't arrogant at all. They were never cocky or in your face either it must be said.

And you describe Cork fans to be similiar to English soccer fans, when is that last time you saw Cork supporters tear up a stadium or start fighting out on the streets after a game? Yes a very good comparison. You dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Thats not too bad. I can remember Tony Kelly taking a sideline at Thurles and getting a bottle thrown at him.

Yeah seems like it might be harsh to me, I thought he was good. If Nicky Quaid hadn't made that superb save in the second half, Horgan would perhaps have been credited as the man who put the game to bed with a goal. Outside of age and free taking and all the other usual talking points, he creates some fantastic scores directly and indirectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,836 ✭✭✭billyhead

I never once mentioned that Cork fans become violent ala the minority of English fans. Cork fans have a reputation for being arrogant similar to the way English fans are. Now some people might think fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Subject to correction, (from us in the stands) it was only for Byrnes frees and it was because he was taking about 30 seconds from the time he set to striking. It was headwrecking, never seen anything like it. He was like a golfer with the yips over a putt.

Advertisement