Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options
1294295296297298300»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It looks light and shoddy like garden centre standard light planking.

It's patently obvious people would stand on them so something more solid should have been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I think that's exactly what it is, standard garden centre decking.

However, a slight disagreement with you: the dopes on St Patrick's day were well out of order. Adults behaving like children (worse, really). On the day, I didn't understand at first why every bus shelter was fenced off, but when I saw this happen I understood why. They stayed on there even after they broke it. We're talking about middle aged adults desperate to see the parade. Pushing forward to the barriers, with small children behind them unable to see. Honestly it was pathetic. I am more than happy to criticize our own local bad behaviour, but this was "well-to-do" tourists acting the gowl. Over by Merchant's quay there was no crowd then.

TLDR: my opinion is that nothing's going to stop a group of 15-20 grown adults behaving like chimps (it must have been more than a tonne put onto it), so yes it needs to be repaired now and council needs to get the finger out but it just needs to be fenced off when the next batch of simpleton adults arrives to see the children's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not defending their behaviour, at all, but street furniture should be able to cope with people standing on it.

The behaviour that offended you is irrelevant, they should have been of sturdier construction. Penny pinching by council.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

You build for expected behaviour. That's reasonable expectation

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

I disagree with you all, no wooden furniture is going to withstand 15-20 adults jumping on it, they just need to fence it off for the parade is all, same as they do with the bus shelters. I fully accept it should have been fixed well before now and that the council may well be of a penny pinching mindset, I just disagree that it should have withstood what I saw breaking it is all.

I know it might seem like I'm clutching at pearls but I honestly don't care what people did on the day, I just thought it was embarrassing behaviour. At the time I didn't feel for a second like the wooden construction was at fault. I went from thinking the council was heavy-handed in fencing off the bus shelters to thinking they needed to fence off more things!

But zero argument they should have long since fixed it by now.

It's in a city, visited by and populated with people who do stupid things, who drink and take drugs.

This should hardly come as any great surprise.

If one of them fell through it, they wouldn't be slow to claim real or imagined damages over it. The onus is on the council to make such things sturdy enough.

Ah yeah but it's no different than a car crashing into it IMO, I feel like the fault here is in not fixing it, rather than not making it withstand the abuse. Anyway we only barely disagree, and we agree on the general topic: it's a shame the upkeep of the city centre isn't better.

You edited your comment, and I think I understand why we disagree now. It's the tree roots and earth that are underneath it. You actually can't fall through it any more than those people did. That's why it's wooden planking suspended over the gap, you can't support it directly in the centre. They could use perforated metal or brace it with steel or something like that but that would make it harder to modify when the tree gets wider. The planking there is lying on the earth and root of the tree. They could maybe just top up the soil and rest the planking on that or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This is behind a paywall but you get the gist. interesting they went against the inspector.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41438386.html

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

It was either use the small spaces available or continue as a vacant building. Common sense prevailed I think.

Advertisement