Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

but that isnt a good thing. Guys at that stage should really be limited to coaching new refs. Helping that way. Really hard to expect guys that age to be keeping up with players 20/30/40 years younger

Post edited by Lost Ormond on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah I get that - but if there was an abundance of younger lads doing it, then we could have that conversation. There isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I was refereeing an underage semi final in the LGFA the other week and the abuse I got was unreal.

No markings between the goals and team A felt they got a score. No reaction from the umpire and the keeper got the ball. In my view there was not a clear goal so I played on. They were shouting and roaring from the sideline about it and even had a go at the umpire because he didn't indicate a goal.

Less than 5 minutes to go, team A are 1 point behind. Team A's player was coming out with the ball and spilled it and fouled a player on team B clear as day but won the ball. I gave a free in for it and and one of the coaches exploded. Called me fucking disgrace because "She won the ball" and continued with such a tirade of abuse I had to stop the game to deal with it.

After the game he said "You're a wanker". I'm usually thick skinned about this stuff but I'm not giving up my time for this nonsesne. The issue was reported and the girls on the pitch didn't seem to surprised by it, but some people need to seriously cop themselves on with the way they behave at underage games. Honestly it'd be a great game if it wasn't for the adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

Honestly, adult ladies and you get the same from the players. I just packed it in because, well, fcuk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I took up LGFA refereeing last year and hand on heart I’ve had more hassle from sidelines in LGFA than men’s football and I’d referee less ladies games. I don’t know what causes it, to be fair to the Meath board when a mentor is reported they implement bans but it doesn’t seem to deter it. My most recent one was putting a mentor out from the sideline for a challenge match. I even gave him the out of saying to him first to cop onto himself as it was a challenge but he kept at me and enough was enough. It’s obviously not every team and every line but it’s certainly more prevalent for me. On the other hand I find the players grand to deal with which makes the issues on the lines more puzzling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Many issues from the sidelines in LGFA stem from a lack of knowledge of the rules, particularly the difference between LGFA and GAA. At almost every game I get asked why I'm calling a foul for a tackle - "it was near hand ref!" or "I got the ball".

From ignorance comes the belief that they know better.

I believe that if every lead mentor was forced to take a rules course each year it would massively reduce the issues coming from the sidelines

Yeah, ignorance in the rules and just ignorance in general. Referee's are always wrong.

Some of the doozie's I've had include a coach telling me that shouldering is allowed, it's a fair challenge when they're pulling on a players arm, one screamed "Ah ref" when I disallowed a fist pass into the goal. Constantly shouting "four steps" but not complaining when his own team got the same leeway.

I had a final there where the coach was on the sideline going mental. Not at me, this guy isn't abusive. I imagine it could be wrapped up as "passionate" but with all the instructions he was barking at the girls they hadn't clue what they were supposed to be doing. One of the girls at one point said, "Will someone tell him to shut up, every time he opens his mouth we get a free against us"

I rarely have a problem with a player and with them it's usually just out of frustration which I can understand. Players are much easier to deal with than the sidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I think you’re right Leroy. Had to pull a coach up last year for giving out to me over a girl crossing the line on a sideline kick. Absolutely wasn’t having that there’s no provision in the rules for it like in the men’s game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Getting coaches to do rules course could help but just make coaches have to do coaching courses every 2 years with a component of that course on rules. Too many start coaching and think because they played for years and grew up with game that they don't need a coaching course. Rules can follow through from the coaching course. Penalising coaches as well for their behaviour if it breaches the standards that you as a ref set down at start of game also helps.

Rules is only one aspect of the problem. Perspective is another.

Like I mentioned earlier on, I get shouted at for a fair challenge. I'm one side of the players and the coach is the other. From my perspective I can see the pull on the arm and they can't but they still think they know better. It works the other way too, from their perspective they can see it and I can't so I'm obviously blind / biased to not see it. Same for things that you don't see. They fail to understand that you can't see everything, and that you can only go on what you see, not what anyone else says.

One game during the national féile, the ball was stopped for a sub. I was paying attention to the sideline watching the sub on / off and the supporters of team x were shouting that something was going on on the pitch. I turned and saw their player retaliate with a shoulder charge to the chest. The girl she hit was hurt and as it was deliberate it was a straight red card. I explained it to the coaches who, to be fair, understood where I was coming from. It was unfortunate that she was the one to get done for retaliating since she was being fouled first but I could only go on what I see. I even explained to the girl that I knew there was some goings on before the incident, but again I didn't see it. Can only go on what I see. Naturally that makes me the problem for a lot of people because I didn't see things, but again - you can't see everything!

As for sanctions, there's not much you can do on the day. Take their name and submit a report to CODA with the details and let them deal with it is about all you can do. You can confine them to the dugouts and threaten to abandon the game if it persists. Sometimes you can't order them outside the enclosure as there's a possibility that there would then be underage kids on the sideline with no adults which becomes a child safety issue

• Advertisement

Do you ever talk to the coaches before games to lay down the law? Or specifically, bring the two of them together and just explain that you didnt come here to listen to the two of them roaring at you for 70 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

Tried that. Works for about 8 minutes I'd say.

No. Not all coaches are problematic and it's not fair to tar them all with the same brush. Most of the ones that I deal with are no problem at all, but like everything else, there's exceptions. Usually I'll leave it until they say something and then I'll go over and put them back in their box. Most of the time that works as they just get a bit carried away. That might be useful for the ones that are known to be mouthy though.

I don't mind coaches shouting from the sidelines, so long as it's encouragement / instruction etc to the players. The odd "steps" or "push on the back" is to be expected. I have found recently though that I use a whistle in my hand rather than keeping it in my mouth during the game. Makes it easier to answer them in real time. IE. "on the ground ref" - "no, she played it away" and there's no argument. "steps ref" - "No, she had enough time" (I even heard the coach say "ah, ok" after that)

This I would consider the norm. It's the exception to this that is the problem. They're the ones that will do it regardless and they usually have form for it and no amount of talking to them or removing them form the enclosure will make a difference. CODA is the only way to do it.

Yeah - I coach u16 & u14 and thats generally been my experience, I actually cant think of any opposing coach that I thought was bad to deal with. I think there is a recognition that we are all trying to do the same thing. Our biggest problem is actually discipline, we have a few hotheads and they tend to feed off each other. We have had a good few red cards, everyone of them was deserved.

What annoys me most though is the parent who just wont stop shouting, usually nonsense, and by that I mean constant stating of the obvious "take a shot' 'have a go' "mark up' 'get back' 'put them under pressure' - and for some reason it seems to be worse with the girls football than with the boys. Whenever you see this type of parent - they always locate themselves far side of the field from the coaches.

Another gripe - again worse with the girls than the boys - is coaches encroaching on the field of play - that they position themselves 10 feet inside the sideline, and thats where they shout their instructions from. Especially when its younger kids. Very unfair on players. Annoys me no end.

Post edited by Tombo2001 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I see that with Ladies Management too, far too much. Often (even in Championship) then there's no line umpires to enforce a rule to get back behind the line. In Camogie especially they'd be right on top of the action. It's so stupid

Sideline encroaching generally doesn't bother me so long as they don't take the piss. That said, if an opposition coach or player complains to me about it then I would send them back to their sideline. Same with people umpiring and coaching. I generally don't mind it so long as it's not too disruptive. Again, if the opposition or the players complain about it, I'd send them back to their sideline. Coaches on the opposite side of the pitch to the dugouts is another one.

Again, if I need to speak to the coach about their abuse they will be told to zip it and confine themselves to the dugout for the remainder of the game as an added bonus for the mouthiness.

But you do make a good point and you've explained how as a coach it bothers you. In your situation I would say it to the ref and see - they should sort it.

I suppose I'm guilty of the old "ah shur that's the way it's played" attitude. I should be better in that respect for the benefit of the players. I'm there to apply the rules after all.

The issue is two-fold

(i) why is it wrong -

You are a 13 year old girl, you are soloing along with the ball - one of the opposition is tackling you. Opposition coach is on the pitch, shouting at the defender 'You have here Izzy, into her, get into here thats it' - so on the ball you are not just contending with the defender, you are also dealing with this adult who is on the pitch and shouting.

Its intimidating, and its making the pitch smaller for the players.

(ii) as an opposition coach - once you raise it as an issue, then there is tension. They think there is no harm in it (or else they wouldnt be doing it). And you are the problem for going to the ref complaining. Sometimes though, it just needs to be done.

One other point - at a younger age, when they have 16 year old refs - there should just be a blanket rule of coaches are not allowed talk to the ref, about anything - unless a player is injured.

You're points are valid but I would add one thing about raising an issue and causing tension. PersonallyI wouldn't care less about it - It's a them problem and not a me problem. As a coach my priority is to the safety and welfare of my players both on and off the pitch so I would have no compunction about raising an issue with the ref if I felt it was necessary.

Underage referee's are not permitted to referee anything above go games. Competitive games are >18 only.

Our GAA county board has implemented a silent sideline for underage games, so it's only a matter of time before the LGFA does.

Thats a fair point on player welfare.

GoGames aren't competitive in that the results arent published or anything, but you can still have coaches giving out if a decision goes against them.

Which county board are you incidentally?

I am in Dublin and there is certainly no such thing as silent sidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

I think Mayo are the only county with silent sidelines. Its only in place up to u14, it has no place in competitive football. It works well with go games IE U8 & U10, but it gets ignored at u12 and u14 more times than not.

• Advertisement

Sligo.

In my experience in go games (I do some of them for my club) the home team provide the referee's and most of them are underage yes. However the adults on duty - IE the coaches of the home team in that instance have a duty of care to step in if anyone is getting mouthy towards the referee and put a stop to it.

Silent sidelines in the sense that you don't shout criticism to either the players or the referee's. The only thing to be heard should be positive comments only which i think is fine. Kids already know they made a mistake, they don't need the sideline shouting it at them too.

Advertisement