Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Soc_Alt

IMO

Yuki should replace Perez now on a 2 year contract and Lawson and Hadjar brought into Racing Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

For the past few years Merc haven't even had an insight into where'd they'd be the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I thinks it’s wishful thinking that Max will leave to go to Merc. He is still leading the championship, Red Bull are still on it, going to Merc would be a step back at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I don't care much for Mercedes. I only want Max to be in the quickest car at any partiular point in time, and i think he'll be there come 2026.

Toto has basically said he'd love to have him and if they can gaurentee him of a car that can win some more world titles, then you can be sure he'd go.

Wages wouldn't be an issue anyway

• Advertisement

Toto is playing a political game. Despite merc winning the last 2 races, it’s not on pure pace, they needed a clash or strategic errors to win, they have a long way to go.

No one has a clue where anyone will be in 2026. We have rumours about the PU development, Red Bull have hired dozens of workers from Mercedes HPP so they might be starting new, but it’s not without experience.

I can only see Max leaving Red Bull in a very long time. They are still top of the championship by a canter, and the recent race showed how slick the track side ops are on Max’s side.

There was a reignited rumour that Merc are still interested in Sainz, that would be a strong move for him.

Ye, i know there has been a lot of luck in Mercs wins over the last couple of weeks. And this is only my opinion with regards Max as it is yours that he'll stay, but i'd also factor in that no doubt Max has fcuk all time for Horner.

Anyway, who knows what will happen. Neither of us do regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I think your comment is short-sighted. Since you posted this Lewis has proven he's still got it. Don't get caught up on what's happening right in front of you. It's important to take a wider view on things because saying George is better than Lewis just because he's outqualifying him at the moment is very shortsighted. Lewis and Max are Champions and Lando, George and the rest of the younger guys still have a lot to learn. That's very obvious across an entire weekend.

I’m basing mine on the fact he has said he is staying, and has a multi year contract, and is still winning races.

How does Max have no time for Horner? What does that even mean?

• Advertisement

Max will 100% move to Merc and I think he will do it sooner than later too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,844 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wonder if Lewis is regretting his Ferrari decision. Looks like Merc could end up being a better bet for 25, and 26 is a gamble regardless. Newry linked to AM, who have also just taken a Tech lead from Ferrari.

I am sure Lewis knows a lot more about the trajectory of both teams, but its not looking like a good call right now.

Are you serious on the Max and Horner point?

I'd say it is VERY obvious what he thinks about Horner

As pointed above, so do i. I don't know personally if he will join for 2025, or wait until 2026.

Would make sense to join in 2025 imo

I am serious, please do tell. If it is VERY obvious then fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

should be interesting to see how he gets on there, he probably needs it, think the sport does to, nice way to end his career, nice few quid to, so happy days…..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I fully believe Verstappen will stay at RedBull till 2028 then retire from F1 then go on to another racing series, he'll probably have his own racing team at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If Max was in the Horner camp, and his father doing his best to unseat Horner, surely Max would have quietly removed Jos from the picture. He didn't do that and basically supported Jos in his position.

You could therefore only conclude that Max is not Horners No 1 fan.

Not sure your math adds up there.

His father doesn't run an F1 team, the leading F1 team at that. Horner does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

By all accounts there's no moving Jos anywhere be it quietly or not. And definitely not by his own son. Read enough articles/watched body language that gives me that impression, the man has a very inflated opinion of his importance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭quokula

Max has been given ample opportunity to support the stuff coming out of his dad and he’s never done so. And he’s honest and direct to a fault, if he had a problem with Horner he’d make it known. He can’t choose his family and he probably doesn’t want to disown his family either, that doesn’t mean he has to agree with everything his dad says.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you need to check your math because you point only adds to my argument.

Jos Doesn't run the team. Horner does yet Jos is in there trying his best to get rid of horner and at best upset the team, at worst destroy it and max allows Jos to continue attending gp etc so how does that suggest that max is in the Horner camp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sainz I imagine won’t make a decision on his seat next season till Merc decide who’s replacing Hamilton and RedBull make a call on Perez, and he’s certainly right to do so IMO as annoyed as the likes of Alpine/ Williams might be with him not deciding yet.

Whilst Mercedes last two wins were fortuitous they are certainly on the right trajectory, maybe they might want a proven driver like Sainz next season to drive for them instead of Antonelli if they have a challenging car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Joeface

I think Mercedes would benefit from signing Carlos Sainz a lot more than some of their other options, Just in his team Radio in race conversations he has shown to be very good at feedback and strategy discussion . He is decent as Qualifying as well. He has already driven Mercedes power and has a wealth of experience, not all with the current car rules but he has driven Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari powered cars and throw in all the Different Aero teams and experience. he has driven very well with all those teams also.

Actually Any team would benefit . Taking his time is probably the right thing to do.

it is not that Audi Sauber shouldn't be taken serious , but when you look at the signings on a techinal side Aston have been making , Audi probably need to be more public with that as it would add to the enticement if they did want him.

Willams have done some of this in showing their new roles recently . The have shown some flashes of progress but it never seems to get comfortable into the top 10 like any where from 7-9th place for like 2 or three races in a row .

Apline on the other hand "Flavio some how returned" , and rumors moving away from their own Factory engine , very strange. Oddly The Car seems fine some weekends . Gasly can be quick but I don't believe you can develop a car with him.

Ocon to Haas , I thought that was a done deal even not but he will probably do ok there as he has done with Alpine.Despite the over blown hate he recieved after Monaco in all the teams he as been in he has a decent set of results

Ricciardo for me has never recovered since leaving Redbull . It is like he can only drive one type of Car . He was still competitive enough with Renault but he was coming from a Renault powered Redbull , then moved to Mclaren & Mercedes engine didn't seem to suit him despite the one win . and the same now under Honda power. It may not be a factor but it always seemed that way to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Willams have done some of this in showing their new roles recently . The have shown some flashes of progress but it never seems to get comfortable into the top 10 like any where from 7-9th place for like 2 or three races in a row .

I saw Vowles say in an interview at the weekend that they have all their best people working on 2026 regs. That's their aim, they don't care much about this year or next.

There is substantial evidence suggesting that the Red Bull power unit will not work out. Horner currently appears vulnerable after the challenges he faced earlier this spring. The decision to sign Sergio Perez appears to have been impulsive, likely aimed at appeasing the Verstappen camp and retaining Perez, who supported Horner during the recent scandal. It’s evident that Perez’s tenure with Red Bull will likely end sometime before 2025, which could impact Horner’s credibility. Without Adrian Newey’s expertise, and a competitive power unit, Max Verstappen will consider a move to Mercedes if their 2024 car shows promise in the medium term. Verstappen’s recent statements about potentially leaving Formula 1 are a strategic media tactic rather than a genuine intention. In any case, teams lacking a proper OEM power unit face significant challenges in 2025. Mercedes is likely to regain its status as the top team. Ferrari also has potential, but my bet would be on Mercedes and Aston Martin Honda emerging as the leading teams under the new regulations. The Verstappen camp is undoubtedly aware of this and I think Verstappen will announce a Mercedes move very soon.

Every single line you have written is my exact thought process on how things will unfold. I think Verstappen will be cute enough to wait until he wins this years title before anything gets announced however.

I think a lot of teams and drivers are waiting to see what Verstappen does. If there are 3 teams with equal cars, that changes everything. Mercedes won't sign Sainz because they know if their car is good in the medium term, they can get Verstappen from Red Bull. Mercedes needs a World Champion in that car and I don't see Russell ever being that driver, as good as he is. Also, Russell doesn't sell tshirts like Lewis does. They might move him on in for Antonelli in 2026/2027. Sainz probably still sees a chance of jumping in a Red Bull for 2025 so I'd be very surprised if any driver apart from Ocon and Bottas signs a contract before the summer break. I'd be hoping for the following shake up for 2025.

Red Bull - Sainz, Riccardo (change with Lawson mid-season if he's useless)

Mercedes - Verstappen, Russell

Williams - Bottas, Albon

Haas - Ocon, Bearman

Sauber - Hulk, Perez?

RB - Yuki, Lawson

Ferrari - Lewis, LeClerc

McLaren - Norris, Piastri

AM - Alonso, Stroll

Alpine - Gasly, Doohan

• Advertisement

Perez days are numbered in F1. If he can't do anything in quali in that RB then he has no hope in any other car.

I think Russell is overrated (Is he rated?) Ye, he's won a couple of races but i think he is slightly behind what Sainz is, and i consider Sainz very good but not top class.

When Verstappen goes to Merc, George will be shifted out for Antonelli in two years time

Advertisement