Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,451 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And this entire point is idiotic. The trajectory of both parties has drastically altered since the mid 20th century. So you have to jump back around 80 years before you find a trace of that past. They're both radically different as parties. Hence the fact that the GOP tends to be far more comfortable with their members being openly racist. Happy with Trump pushing lines about blood lines being poisoned. The GOP of thirty or forty years ago would likely be horrified by what the party has become.

Also slave ownership wasn't specific to any party.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/more-than-100-us-political-leaders-have-ancestors-who-were-slaveholders-2023-06-27/

Fyi, the Democrats did not found the KKK btw. Not every stupid tweet or meme that you see is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Stanley 1

Are you kidding, Trump came under the huge influence of a rack rent racist landlord father whose roots were German, they would not rent property to black people.

There was an error displaying this embed.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Stanley 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't believe for a second that one dickhead didn't know that another dickhead said the same racist remark.

In any case, the orange dickhead not knowing that the moustached dickhead said the same racist drivel doesn't make it any less racist.

And he knew exactly who that remark would be appealing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh come on, you're smarter than this.

When someone mentions the "blood" of a nation, they are clearly talking about a racial makeup. It has nothing to do with it being a "nationalist" sentiment.

Trump knew damn well what he was saying and who he wanted to get on board with it. One doesn't even touch a sentence like that unless there are certain types you want to reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No, it is not a hoax. I clearly explained why it was not a hoax with reference to the specific quote and the pattern in Trump's similar comments about the Proud Boys, and now topped up with racist drivel about blood.
    I think the images in Overheal's post convey a thousand words about the "fine people" at that event and who Trump was dog whistling to.

Noted for the fourth time you dodged a pertinent question to the debate. It is obvious to people it was a racist statement by Trump, about "poisoning blood", and the reason you refuse to answer is it would involve you breaking the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil rule about Trump. So your claims here have zero credibility accordingly, when you continually dodge such a pertinent question on the very topic being discussed. Trump's racism. To do so would collapse the house of cards defence you have been maintaining of Trump's vile conduct.

And "not playing laundry list" or nonsense about a "Dem bubble" is not an answer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

Polling wise, in the battleground states, the news is not very good for Biden,

As far as I can see, even if you assume that Biden can take the narrower lead states like Wisconsin and Michigan, he will still need to flip somewhere like Pennsylvania that holds a good number of electoral votes.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I remember the times when Ohio and Florida were battleground states.

Now they are firmly in the GOP camp.

Hubris, ignorance and stupidity from the Dems is the result of this.

Under 4 months out to the election and there is a civil war brewing on if Biden should step aside.

TBH, they deserve what they get.

Unfortunately, others will suffer, e.g. Ukraine.

As ever, it could be that the polling is wrong, but a couple of things about that - one is that this cuts both ways and the numbers could be underplaying the lead Trump has. The other one is that to say the polling is wrong, but then have it turn out that it was accurate to a reasonable degree, i.e. within a couple of points, it will be seen as ridiculously hubristic after the election takes place.

Biden's campaign must make an effort that acts like the polling has them behind, even if this is not the case, in order to leave as little on the field as possible.

Biden being behind in polling may work out for him, resulting in higher voter turnout. Republicans lose when turnout is high.

What do you think Trumpist bleating about electoral fraud has been all about? It was never really about reversing the result in 2020 as everyone outside the hardcore MAGA bubble knew that wasn't a goer. It's really been about raising support for the idea of tightening voting regulations that are really just designed to suppress the vote against Trump in areas where lawmakers are in a position to pass these kinds of reforms.

Now, the only question is how much progress have the Republican party under Trump made with regard to the above? It's a massive question no one here seems to be asking and I must say that I find it rather strange.

I keep posting this article excerpt from earlier in the year, and it seems to get no response even though the contents are rather alarming,

[Michael[ Whatley [RNC co-chair], who embraced the former president's baseless claims of widespread voter fraud, said that the RNC "will be focused like a laser on getting out the vote and protecting the ballot," saying that they "hired election integrity directors in battleground states." Those individuals, he said, are "already recruiting and training tens of thousands of volunteers to serve as poll judges workers and observers who will act as real-time monitors whenever votes are being cast and counted."

"And we will do more," he pledged. "If our voters don't have confidence that our elections are safe and secure, nothing else matters."

It just serves to point out that the Trump campaign is being very organised, here. Maybe more organised than you know, and sitting back and saying that the polls are probably underestimating the level of support for Biden, or overestimating it for Trump, is the kind of complacency that will lead to complete disaster in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,707 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s entirely plausible that dickheads would come up with similar, if not identical sentiments which they know would resonate with other dickheads.

Whether it’s racist, nationalist, jingoistic, etc, I don’t imagine Trump was actually familiar with Hitler having said it (it’s possible his speech writer was though), and it’s equally as likely to have been inspired by Enoch Powell’s effort, which has been doing the rounds on social media for the last couple of years -

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see 'the River Tiber foaming with much blood'

Unsurprisingly, much like Trump got it wrong and his supporters didn’t notice, and didn’t care, so too was the case with Powell (and Hitler):

https://edithorial.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-enoch-powell-got-vergil-wrong.html?m=1

Advertisement