Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Basically this chat started with the rumor that Delta had a deal with Cork for 5 routes and I can categorically say that was not going to happen! Maybe a route 5 times a week?!?🤷🏻‍♂️

As of now they don’t have any aircraft in the transatlantic fleet that can operate a route. When the MAX’s come online they could do BOS/JFK but as of now they’re earmarked to be used for domestic and Central American routes*!

*like anything that’s subject to change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

So we can safely conclude that with the current Aer Lingus fleet, technically it is not possible for them to operate t/a from Cork.

That should therefore address that part of the rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Operationally it’s just not viable no. Especially when they operate to the east coast unrestricted from an airport an hour or so up the road already. One route will just cannibalise the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Rome is swapping from Fiumicino to Ciampino in October. It's a much smaller airport and a lot closer to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fjr13

Venice also moving out to smaller Treviso airport for Winter schedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

Route has chopped and changed between the two venice airports for the last few seasons. Wonder if its a Ryanair tactic for reducing landing fees as with each swap they are servicing a "new" airport (new routes have heavily discounted fees)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Top 10 routes in Quarter 1 for Cork as per CSO Stats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

So do we think there will be any takers for the reduced fees announced?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0708/1458808-cork-airport-economic-analysis/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'd imagine Ryanair and Aerlingus would be the major targets but Ryanair seem intent on using Cork and Shannon as pawns in the debate with the DAA over the cap and Aerlingus have more than enough going on at the moment to be moving routes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

And honestly, we have more than enough FR and EI at the airport already. What Cork needs is more airlines, especially year round, to weaken that duopoly and make Cork Airport more resilient for the next time O'Leary throws a tantrum!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

Yes I'd like to see more variety and not just depend on Ryanair. Maybe extended service on some existing summer routes. Would like to see them attract others like TAP, Lisbon has great potential not only as a destination for Irish holiday makers but since AL last ran it we have a lot more south Americans living in the region. TAP have recently announced significant expansion in Brazil. Maybe get Iberria back in the madrid route. Will probably take 12 months or more to see an impact of the proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep more KLM, Air France or Lufthansa would be nice. I appreciate they're simply feeding their hubs but hopefully they're enjoying general route success in Cork too.

Munich, Berlin with Lufthansa for instance, or some of Air France's many hubs would be nice.

Not sure how much more KLM could do but maybe using the same Schiphol aircraft they could do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Maybe Turkish to feed their network. What other big players are capped in Dublin? The middle eastern airlines? Surely a lot of their traffic aren't Dub based all week

With regards to Lufthansa, I'd settle for year round service and/or equipment upgrades on the Frankfurt route. The CRJ-900 might be economical, but boy is it cramped! The same goes for Paris, having a year-round CDG route would be a quick win.

Beyond that, I think TAP is a good call, as it would not only serve the "shovel & bucket" summer flights, but would also allow for easy onward transfers to Brazil. I'd also love for one or two Eastern European airlines, ideally the likes of LOT or Smartwings, to start serving Cork. Connections to Warsaw and Prague would be a real boost. And we nearly had flights to Prague back in the mid-2010s, with the moribund Czech Airlines, no less. They were cancelled mere weeks before they were to start, so someone's already crunched the numbers, and if CSA was willing to take the leap with their inflated cost base, a low-cost carrier like Smartwings should definitely be able to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I saw something online about Lufthansa using a A319 for some of the Frankfurt service this month, which is good to see.

We could be getting a lot more from Aerlingus imo. The likes of Bilbao, Lisbon and Prague would be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Berlin is #1 on my list. Dream route out of Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ryanair used to fly to the old Berlin airport I'm sure. Great city

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Everyone uses the new airport now, including Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

Iinteresting on the same day this appears on the independent .list of airlines impacted by cap already

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/low-cost-airline-jet2-squeezed-out-of-dublin-airport-due-to-passenger-cap/a1246179366.html

• Advertisement

To be fair, the new airport IS the old airport. The terminal that Ryanair and other low cost carriers used for their flights was the old main terminal from back in the day when the airport was known as "Berlin Schönefeld" and was the main airport of East Germany. When the decision was made to consolidate the three Berlin area airports (Tegel, Tempelhof, Schönefeld) into one, it seemed easiest to just "bolt on" a new runway and terminal complex south of the existing runways, rather than converting a greenfield or brownfield site.

Basically a who’s who of dream operators for Cork. Imagine if they had extended the runway during Covid, would be so well positioned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭melchior1951

I flew out of Cork Friday on LH A319 and back Sunday on wet leased CRJ1000 by CityJet. A319 definitely better experience.

AFAIK Lufthansa is phasing out CRJ900 anyway and replacing with A220. Have only been on A220 with AF but that's a nice and modern plane, probably more economical than the older CRJ900.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭melchior1951

Only from Kerry AFAIK. As much as I'd love a direct flight to Berlin since I go there every few weeks mostly with KLM via Amsterdam, I think it's unlikely. Lufthansa only flies to their hubs FRA and MUC with their Eurowings doing all other short haul routes with not many flights out of Berlin. Don't understand though why Aer Lingus doesn't set up a flight once or twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Berlin is quite a thin route, not much business traffic - poor enough yields. Good for getting a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not too long ago KLM were doing 3x Amsterdam rotations, so lets have that back please, or use bigger aircraft. Every flight I've been on is stuffed. Though Schiphol have its own problems with a stupid government angrily trying to restrict its movements.

(While we're at it, maybe KLM 2x Shannon - Amsterdam too)

Air France should be year round - thats the easiest win of them all I think

Ryanair - more Gatwicks, one at varying times of the day is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

I think you might be a bit off there, started as 1x daily in 2020 and increased to 2x daily with the nightstop added after the runway reconstruction opened in Nov 21, has remained as such since.

Aer Lingus have been 9x - 11x weekly depending on the time of year since covid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nah, I definitely remember there being three flights with KLM to AMS at one stage a few years ago. It went down to two and then to one for a while (which was a right PITA) but is now back up to two with the later flight into Cork pushed right back to one of the last departures out of Schiphol.

Its hard to compare the KLM and Aer Lingus offerings. Most KLM traffic is feeder traffic to their network, which is exactly what we need from Cork I think and I use them all the time for heading to European destinations. Aer Lingus is not transfer traffic, it is "visiting Amsterdam".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Anyone used the Aer Lingus evening before bag drop at the airport recently - work ok? I wonder, must you drop all of your bags at the same time. Going as a family of 5 soon with 2 x 20kg bags and 5 x 10kg bags and ideally would drop, say, the 2 x 20kg bags and 3 or 4 of the 10kg bags the night before....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Deleting. Thought I was in the DUB thread.

Post edited by lordleitrim on

Advertisement