Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

In a survey of build costs released this week 2 cities on the same island 150km apart came top and bottom of the table

Are we striving with taxpayers money to make the problem worse or better?

If we agreed to stop making the situation worse that would be a significant step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

Election year, time to make those stats look better than they actually are add in a 5billion spending and tax cut budget. Inflation, How are you

Source Sunday Business Post

finance officials told McGrath that figures indicating that there were 53,000 commencements in the twelve months to April 2024 were “highly skewed and of diminished usefulness” for measuring the level of housebuilding in the state.The spike in April was “very likely” due to the high level of submissions of commencement notices ahead of an April 24 deadline for builders to avail of a development levy waiver and water connection charge rebate. The deadline was subsequently extended

How are prices continually increasing when significant costs are removed. Electorate taken for fools

Dejavu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

deleted

Post edited by combat14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you are asking why the selling prices are increasing even though costs are lower, I suspect the answer lies both in demand, and the number of people who continue to be able to afford new houses. I haven’t seen any property remaining unsold, have you?

If you are asking why building costs remain high, it is because there is more to building than development levies and water connection charges.

Comparing costs in different jurisdictions is never a precise indicator, differing economies and construction sectors are of course going to through up price disparities.

And datadude’s viewpoint is a fair one to make, a new build so close to the centre of any capital city is going to be more expensive. Consideration should be given to the relative affordability for the location and proximity, rather than just affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

People see Coolock from a subjective view and lose the plot over the price, in reality it's relatively close to the city centre, and a lot of the people buying in places like Coolock are not from Dublin, or even Ireland, and don't have a pre-conceived notion of what price point that area should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Close to the city center of any city in of itself doesn't mean property is in a nice area and deserving of a high price. Plenty of areas much closer than Coolock, within walking distance of inner city cores, are poverty riddled. Most of Dublin 1 being a prime local example.

In a fully rational housing market it obviously shouldn't be this way - all the property within walking distance, or a 10min commute, of a city center should be prime real estate. But thats not how things work in the real world. Killiney has, is deserving of, far higher property prices than East Wall for example.

I would have thought a fully rational thinker would understand that inner city areas are not immune from social problems. Where would you move those poverty riddled occupants to if Dublin 1 was redeveloped into an affluent area for high income earners?

Make no mistake, the inner city area you refer to is indeed prime real estate, the problem with making it what you think it should be, is getting all the current inhabitants out, so those high price homes you think should be there, can be built for you young guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

You know when people are trying to justify people earning hundred grand a year only being able to afford a gaf in Coolock that we are near the top of the market.

Dublin 1 is empirically not prime real estate in the housing market, as the current property prices per sqm vs actual prime real estate in Dublin show very cleary.

The social problems are exactly why its not prime real estate. And why neither is Coolock.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

It's 2024, the country is not the same as it was in 2007, there isn't a hope this is 'the top' and there is some impending collapse coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Keep telling yourself that. Property, like everything else, goes in cycles. If you look at price history from 2012 to now you can see the accumulation phase from 2013-2021 and then the bull trap from 2022-2023 you can even see the “double top” with the first peak in 2022 and we are about to make the second peak now. Housing supply hit an all time low in March 2024 but is rising steadily now. It’s an 18 year cycle. You’d be a fool to buy now. Unemployment is rising and more supply is coming to the market next year. Potential buyers should be patient, conserve their capital and credit. And their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Nonsense. Until we see people on 150K a year struggling to buy a fixer-upper in rural Cavan, we won't even be scratching the top of the market! I think another few hundred billion in funny money and maybe another lockdown is what's needed to fatten up those pension funds.

Jokes aside, we have to be close to some sort of an asset bubble. Twenty years ago, money was generally discussed in the billions, but now the word "trillion" is being thrown about. For how much longer can this continue before something breaks?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

I think you're right in the sense of viewing this through the lens of traditional asset pricing, technical analysis, market cycle, fundamentals etc, but I've learnt that none of that applies to residential property in Ireland.

People will continue argue that 500k affordable houses in Coolock makes total sense for some time to come, based on very little other than a herd mentality.

If you get caught up in the herd mentality on something like bitcoin, or gold, or stockmarket etc and buy at the top you'll get your fingers burnt when it bursts.

But with property you're likely to enjoy some sort of protection to the downside on the grounds that paying 500k for a house in Coolock was not your fault, sure didn't the government explicitly state that was the benchmark for affordability.

It's just another variation of the logic that paying very high prices in 2007 was nobody's fault but the banks who lent the money.

I think this could underpin prices for some time. Obviously eventually it will break but you'd be a brave person to call when that might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is supply actually rising though? I've seen no stats to suggest that, other than cyclical (and minor) summer rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

We are clearly in stage 3 but the cycle could be 20 years. Would you wait another 4 years to buy and probably another 2 before they had dropped enough? Then the narrative is they'll never stop falling, those same people won't buy then either. I certainly wouldn't wait and didn't.

People who are paying attention and doing some legwork, which I would hazard includes the vast majority on this forum, will see the signs occurring well in advance of any actual drop. So far new builds are at 100% occupancy long before completion. So we're not quite there.

Somewhere in the midlands some time from now there will be an estate built that won't hit 100% occupancy, perhaps 95%, not a big deal, shortly followed up by another, and that will most likely be the first bell tolling. If some eagle eyed hawk spots this they will of course be told sure that's just the midlands. Who knows, maybe the foreign workers start going home in their droves from the tech jobs and nobody notices. Whatever it is, it most likely hasn't happened yet.

I don't it's anywhere near demand, and that won't change short of something happening outside of Ireland to arrest the population rise here. I can't see what that would be.

Besides this, even if a crash is on the way, it may not arrive for years. Housing isn't like bitcoin or shares. For most of us, it's not an asset at all; it's a place to live. I bought in 2022 because waiting for me wasn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

that is the most brainless post since all those people said the top was reached back at the end of last year, and then that prices would fall during covid and thered be a recession 2 years ago

Housing supply is not rising , it is going down, what are you even basing this on? The number of houses on the market?

You can go back a lot further than that for predictions on this thread, some were saying “don’t buy, prices have to fall” years ago, anyone who did that has, in all probability, paid a small fortune in rent up to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

’keep your powder dry’ was every second post for a while.
    10 years of prices rises was often cited as a sure thing ‘the cycle’ had to end soon…ignoring that prices have only registered 4 annual drops in the last 50 years and there was a 37 year upward only ‘cycle’ from 1970 to 2007. I’m sure it was probably increasing before 1970 as well but that’s as early as CSO have data!

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-ieu50/irelandandtheeuat50/economy/residentialpropertyprices/

Thats all true, but theres one other very fundamental fact of the current Irish property market.

The population of Ireland is increasing by 100k+ per year. While we're building approx 32k housing units per year. And the average numbers of humans in a housing unit in Ireland is 2.7, and falling.

On top of that yearly worsening of the problem we already have a deficit of circa 250k housing units, and need thousands of units per year to replace existing older stock.

We're not building enough homes (approx 40k required) just to house the yearly population growth, nevermind anything else.

We're never going to have a crash (or even mild drop, or even price stabilization) while the population growth is so much higher than the housing unit completions.

• Advertisement

This. The bucket is full, but the tap hasn't been turned off. Until that changes, there will be no correction in prices. To put it another way, we're not building our way out of a housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

thats why i put a time limit on the stupidity

at least with covid we were staring into an unknown, potential financial disaster, made some sense

people just can't get their heads around the simple fact that prices aint going to fall in such a tight market

new housing is more expensive than the existing stock and thats the only source of new supply, even the prices of second hand houses is just covering the real costs when everyone is putting 100k plus into these houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Ive been in and out of this thread since 2017, and people have consistently predicted that the ar5e was about to fall out of the market any day now.

History is littered with markets underpinned by strong fundamentals until all of sudden they weren't. And that tends to coincide with sentiment.

Yes Ireland's population is increasing by 100k a year - that's a fact. But it is also a fact that our recent population increase is one highest incidence of population growth recorded by any country in history.

Whether or not we sustain that rate, and for how long, nobody knows - it's an assumption not a fact.

The idea that we have a deficit of 250k houses is disputed by both the Central Bank and Housing Europe. If there is not broad agreement on the size of deficit, if any, it cannot be regarded as a fact.

And even a cursory glance at the methodology used to calculate the 250k deficit shows that it is underpinned by some pretty shaky assumptions.

The point I was making about traditional asset valuations, leading indicators, fundamentals etc is that Irish property is different so the strength of these assumptions.

If you were going to drop 500k on any other asset class you'd take a deeper look at the fundamentals and make a judgment call on whether or not the population growth assumptions are sustainable or whether or not the deficit maths stacks up, and probably conclude that they don't.

But it is not so important on a 500k house in Coolock - a) you're probably a forced buyer and b) as long as the government is telling you it is an affordable house, they'll have your back if the assumptions they're relying on turn out to be wrong.

TLDR - As long as people believe (market sentiment) that the population will continue to rise at the same rate it has done recently and that there is a deficit of 250k houses, I agree prices will not fall. And there is certainly no indication that anybody is likely to question these assumptions anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

I agree that our political parties are not going to solve it because, unfortunately, due to a number of factors which mainly revolve around willpower (ie to see "affordability" achieved together with increased supply necessarily involves hits to rents and house prices), the appetite is not there to "fix the problem".

At the same time, I don't think it is all or nothing; house prices and rents do not need to plummet and nor should they in order to achieve better supply and affordability. Unfortunately, people who are happy with their housing situation are also guilty of thinking that any talk of their house price declining means a crash in their house price; in the same way that those exasperated at the current situation are craving a collapse in house prices and rents. Ireland seems to be great at doing extremes; there is either way to much or far to little, when it comes to housing. While there is never an equilibrium, the swings in supply and affordability are ridiculous.

Focusing on the size of the housing deficit is rather irrelevant given the more glaring population growth issue. It could be a deficit of 5k, or 500k, but either way we're not reducing it by a single house every year at present.

Our natural population growth is approx 30k per year just from births over deaths, thats not going to change any time soon. We're projected to take in 30k asylum seekers this year. That number is also unlikely to go down, given the global push factors (climate change, easier access to travel, rapid population growth in the source countries) or pull factors (our government's proven inability to control the borders, people like Roderic O'Gorman literally telling people to come here, none of the 6 major political parties currently having an anti-immigration platform).

Those two sources by themselves are a population growth of circa 60k a year, or enough to take up approx 25k new housing units a year. ie the vast majority of what we're building.

The remainder of the population growth (40k~) is down to legal migration, which is admittedly the most fluid yes. If we had a major economic crash that resulted in high employment it would likely collapse. But we've had a total of one of them in the past 30+ years, and the state is currently banking billions of euros a year into a stability fund because it can't spend whats coming in fast enough - a level of financial surplus unheard of in Irish history. So I personally would not be betting on an economic crash big enough to destroy the economy any time soon anyway, were I a renter debating if it was the "right time to buy" and hoping for a substantial downwards price correction.

Those two sources by themselves are a population growth of circa 60k a year, or enough to take up approx 25k new housing units a year. ie the vast majority of what we're building.

So thats forecasting for a household size of 2.4 - the euro average - I am fully aware of the assumptions that we will converge with the euro average by 2050, but given that our household size is currently 2.74 should we be budgeting for next years growth to be covered by an AHS 2.4 or 2.74, or somewhere in between and should it be closer to 2.4 than 2.74?

It makes quite a big difference - if it is 2.74 it makes for a requirement of 22k houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Supply alone cannot increase or decrease prices. This is why I think it can be reckless to state, unqualified, that purely due to demand far outweighing supply, that prices won't drop. What good is massive immigration if those immigrants are not working in FANNG, Pharma or Finance jobs and they are earning only average salaries (which is probably the case in the last two years as MNCs have cut back on new hires)? Supply might be low in general but within components of the housing market, supply might actually be picking up as the demand within that component could be falling versus the supply increasing).

For one, people need access to the money in order to pay high house prices; it could be the most depressed housing market in living memory for supply of homes and yet prices could be falling because people can't afford to pay the prices. The government is spinning plates with all the different schemes that aim to horse first-time buyers into the market and today it was written in the news about asking prices rocketing again that the CBI has been the cause of this via its increase to the leverage permitted for FTBs.

My own search alert was for north Wicklow within a price range of €400-600k and it is getting a good level of hits recently for second hand homes which are most likely to be FTB homes. I think that supply versus demand might be shifting as the pool of FTBs with €40-60k in savings is potentially dwindling for homes outside of Dublin. However, for people looking to trade up in SoCoDu, with a budget of €700k-1m, demand is definitely outstripping supply!

The household size for the country overall is 2.7 and dropping currently yes, but the household size for immigrants is significantly smaller. The majority of asylum seekers arriving here are single males, and most immigrants over all are young single people. Very few are in 4+ person household family units to balance out the average.

2.4 being a floor is also unlikely, given significant number of European countries are at 2.0 already - and all are still falling.

But again, the exact numbers for future forecasting here are largely irrelevant. Because the key fact is we're not constructing enough housing units to house the yearly population growth as things stand right now, to a deficit of thousands of units a year. We're nowhere close to overbuilding.

Even with the literal most optimisticly high, unrealistic, household size assumption (2.74) our current 100,000+ population growth a year would require 36,000+ housing units a year entirely by itself - more than we're completing.

• Advertisement

I take your point at 100k a year with 70% from immigration that is likely to accelerate a fall in household size. So it does prudent to allow for a much smaller household size than our current average, even in the next few years.

As regards our current household size of the people who are already here - 2.74 at Census 2022 - the ESRI recently interesting research that contradicts the idea we are higher than our euro peers because of housing shortage, or even type of housing.

They found it is almost entirely down to demographics, principally the fact Irish couples on average have more children than other european countries. And the demographic make up of the country means we have a far greater proportional population of children under 18, this graphic shows the difference:

We're high but not crazy outliers in terms of number of adults per household. We are very high crazy outliers in terms of number of children per household.

So this explains their findings:

We find that Ireland has a high average household size on a cross-country basis. However, this appears to be strongly influenced by demographics, with high fertility rate, younger population and thus high share of households with children important factors in explaining the cross country trends. Indeed, a majority of the differences between Ireland and other countries disappear in a regression setting when socio-demographic and basic economic factors are controlled for.=

The economic factors they controlled for included housing supply. High household size is a result of high fertility rates not low housing supply.

For sure I think it's possible, even likely, that in future we'll have less kids per household so future housing assumptions should factor that in and calculate demand projections based on significantly lower household size.

But it is not a fundamental fact that our current high household size is due to housing scarcity. Any calculations about the present or the past should reflect this.

https://www.esri.ie/publications/household-size-in-ireland-stylised-facts-and-cross-country-trends

Advertisement