Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭funkyuser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People managed to be fit and strong with very little in the past.
    But I imagine if you applied that to all your training you'd find quite a few holes in your logic.

TikTok/Insta bro nonsense videos are very different to training/technique videos referenced above. There's absolutely a toxic subculture around training and social media. Not hard to spot though. Some poser recording every single set of every exercise and expecting everyone works around them. lol. GTFO.
    Recording a squat PR attempt after 12 weeks program, check depth etc. Not even remotely the same as the poser.

I'm sure there are elite powerlifters who don't ever record their training. But probably don't need to if they have coaches or elite training partner providing feedback in real time. I'd associate it more with solo training.

Post edited by Mellor on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Filming lifts for analysis has become super common the last ten years but its been going on since the 00s. It just got a lot easier as smart phones developed. It goes hand in hand with more online and remote coaching.

I'm 40+ and I've been doing it for yonks, know a lot of others in the same age bracket doing it so I don't think it's 'generational'.

...Tik tok, fitness influencer content, that's generational alright.

Anyway- another bag carrier here, on lower body days anyway.

Wraps, belt, logbook, wedges,water, phone, straps etc. It's a no brainer. That doesn't mean you leave it where someone's gonna trip over it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A lot of people that powerlift would record their lifts and look for issues that you cant see when you're squatting, benching or deadlifting, in particular.

Usually on the heavier sets but if you're changing something, you might record earlier sets to see if you're getting it right and it's consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Recording your lift to study and improve your technique is absolutely normal and should be done by everyone now and then. You don't have to be a powerlifter to want good technique; lift light till you get the technique right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Theres a nappy arse in my gym lately. Every now and again there's a bang of **** off every machine. I'm well sick of it now. If you've a problem wiping your arse please stay at home you disgusting pig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Ah ffs, that's rotten.

Turning up to the gym smelly is never OK.

I never go near gym without freshening up first. Clean gym gear, deodorant, I even have a weak but clean smelling cologne just for the gym. Never be the smelly cvnt in the gym.

Nothing worse than being stuck next to a person like that, if you're lifting it's bad but worse if you're doing cardio while breathing in someone's stench. I've given up on cardio a few times thanks to there being a smelly person beside me.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Same same... Sometimes I have to go straight from work and I'd rather shower before I go on the gym floor. I don't wanna be that guy. But honestly I'm sick of it now, once every 4 or 5 times I go there's a literal smell of sh1t off machines, the seats, the handles, on ropes. It's driving me absolutely insane because it's on MY OWN CLOTHES before I know it. It's vile. I've made a complaint to management and they've pointed me to the satitizer spray, which isn't good enough, there's enough staff there to clean machines. They can't physically sniff everyone's arse going in like but they could try cleaning equipment. It's 100% someone who can't wipe their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Christ! That would make me not want to go to that gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dirty bastard he'd be turfed out of my gym for that shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭corks finest

☺️☺️ Awful though

Okay, a prime example of dick behaviour. I'm in the gym, doing my thing. Ten squat racks, all used, gym packed, peak time.

Girl occupying one rack. Empty barbell racked at squat height, bench in rack area about a foot forward, gym yoga mat out beside bench, medicine ball, two sets of light dumbbells.

She does a few squats with the empty bar, rests a couple of minutes, does chest flys or press with DBs on bench, rests, does twisty situp things with ball on mat, rests, does shoulder flys with DBs, rests, couple of other exercises, rests. Basically uses the rack once every 10 mins. Circuits. Worse than supersets for a hey-f-u I'll do what I like behaviour.There about 40 mins. People waiting for racks. Oblivious. Me, fcuking fuming. Take your bench and weights and f-off and do your circuits and leave the rack to people that need it, then come back, get a rack, and do rack work on the rack FFS.🤬🤬🤬

I think staff should have told her to stop hogging the rack.

That really where a member of staff should politely introduce her to a rackless squat variation. No need for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Interesting Video from Clarence Kennedy regards some topics discussed above!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Hold My Hand

The only problem I have with phones in the gym is gym goers talking on them. I’m guilty of bringing mine In solely to stay distracted by listening to my playlists while jogging

He goes full man-shouts-at-cloud at people listening to music and using earphones.

That's a serious mid Atlantic accent he's got going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

One way or another entertainment breeds complexity , one more devise to cause you issues trying to train.Short of doing an hour on one or 2 aerobic machines they tend to cause more hassle over time and just become an annoyance

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I actually agree there's something to the argument we're too focused on seeking the next media stimulation. Smartphones are addictive as ****, so no surprise.

Before smartphones, and media on tap, in your pocket, there were much more periods of time during your day where you'd pretty much have to pass the time with whatever was in front of you, or what you were working on. If you were on a bus, or in a waiting room, you were looking around and you were waiting. You couldn't whip out the oul phone and tap into pretty much the entire history of human knowledge and entertainment.

It was more boring. Was it more virtuous? I don't know, but I probably would have to say I find the addicitive aspect of smartphones, in any context, a bit worrying.

Were people more focused / productive on tasks? I don't know about that, if we're talking about just a bit of background music while they study, or they wait. If it's literally just during periods of waiting I don't think having a phone on hand should matter. We should probably acknowledge though that people use their phones instead of focusing on driving their cars… Instead of focusing on their gym workout at times… Instead of doing their paid work at times…

But in a gym context it's only if it takes away from your training that it's a problem, and that line to me is where you're literally spending more time on the phone than on your workout. If I'm training then, yes, I'd like some music on, for sure. The ubiquitous of personal devices and wireless ear buds now means that there's no reason for anyone not to listen to their own preferred music, rather than having to put up with whatever is being looped through the speakers by the gym.

I've listened to podcasts when training but yeah, I think educational/talky type stuff is best reserved for when you're driving or commuting, and can focus on it a little more. Maybe during LSD cardio is fine.

That's a mad take on the whole thing. Kinda delusional imo.

When he started complaining about with people recording their sets, could only think that he is literally only known due to posting huge amount of training online for years (and his insane lifts obv). To the point where he morphed it into click-bait influencer income.
    Justifies his videos as he used a small camera and doesn't get in the way. That how it should be. But then posts clips of videoing other people like a dick. 🙄

The rant about phone/tech addiction seems to be projecting his own self confessed issues. People do absolutely doom scroll into oblivion in the current world. But apply that to every use of the phone is a bit extreme technophobia. If you have 3-5 mins between sets, then no issue using that time to be productive, or even just random internets - as long as you stick to your time, obvs. Getting distracted and sitting there for 10 mins is dumb, But that happens to easily distracted people anyway.

Rant about changing songs between sets, wireless headphones and denying that gym music can be annoy? lol more technophobe stuff. What is he smoking there?
    I wear headphones to drown out the rest the gym. I'm there on my own, focused on my training. Do I need them, not at all. But I also don't need to listen to strangers either.
    Total different situation for Clarence if he is coaching somebody, or doing a collab influencer training video with somebody. But kinda myopic to not grasp that not everyone is professional gym hobbyiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Cill94

Serious lack of self awareness and kind of judgey comments from someone who makes a living off recording himself.

The worst part was when he makes a snide comment about people recording a 130kg sumo deadlift or girls taking photos of themselves, but then says it’s okay for him to do both of those things because he’s lifting more and gets paid for it.

Some of it was valid, most of it was tedious.

Yes, you can use a pen and paper to log your workout but you should use reed and papyrus like an OG.

"Is music even any good?". Just stop.

Post edited by Alf Veedersane on

"Is music even any good?". Just stop.

😂 That was some real pretentious nonsense

• Advertisement

It completed the descent.

Then came the annoyance at bluetooth headphones, which he tells us is a recent phenomenon as he strokes his imaginary beard.

The comments on YouTube are good for a giggle. "I'm watching this between sets" 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I presumed he was from Newfoundland or some such Canadian place.

It all followed the same pattern.

• Makes a broad statement that is loosely true: We are constantly connected to music
    • Made a strawmany claim that not true: People think they are unable to lift at high intensity without their favourite song (they actually don't)
    • Draw nonsense conclusion: I trained without music and was still strong so you should never-ever use music ever.

He's obviously an absolute outlier in training generally and probably hyper fixates to a degree. Not the best example of normal approach to the gym by a long shot.

You can pick any advancement in technology and go back to a point where we managed without it. In almost all cases, they got by in spite of having the option, rather than because if it. There's a weird mentality out there that suggest that because people were sufficiently able to do something time, that we only need to sue there methods. Obvious some advances are unnecessarily complex, but most are not.

People used to do long hall flights without music/movies. Fk that. I hand a 5 hour flight this week and watch jiu jitsu instructional. That is so much more product than being present in the tech free experience of trans continental flight.

In case you're not aware, he's from Kerry. He's an elite level weight lifter, but doesn't compete. which is insane levels of ability, probably the only recreationally lifter at an elite level in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

with some………….William Shatner mixed in…..too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I just watched the video after reading the above and was expecting it to be a big L from Clarence but, well, i agree with pretty much everything he said. Fight me.

My only gripe is the 130kg sumo deadlift comment. That could easily be put down to someone practicing new technique or any other training related reason, but could also well be a condescending remark to people weaker than Clarence.

He repeatedly said "and I'm also guilty of this" so it's not like he's claiming there should be one set of rules for strong people like Clarence and another for "the plebs". But if a lot if you disagree with him so much, maybe ask yourself if you're also incredibly addicted to your phone and are just in denial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’d say 90% of people have an unhealthy attachment to their phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

There's a whole spectrum between being addicted and using a quill and parchment listening to someone else's choice in music.

Like I said, some validity but some is just silly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I didn’t realise this was a trend. But it’s how I always travel.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I seen that last week. Absolute nonsense. Even worse is the guys posting to socials about the fact they raw dogged 14 hours to Tibet or whereever.

If you need to disconnect and be alone with your thoughts, almost the entire world is a better location to choose to do so than flying through the sky at 1,000kph in an aluminium can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Not disagreeing with the addiction spectrum, but you're just being facetious by talking about quill and parchment. His point being that if you're looking at your phone for your training program, it's just a few swipes away from mindlessly scrolling through another app. Which is objectively correct. Take away your phone and it removes that ability.

Considering a lot of people with coaches get their programs through Excel or Trainheroic or something, writing everything down on paper (or printing) before going to the gym may seem unnecessary, but it is possible. And if you find yourself unable to open your phone to check your program without finding yourself wasting time in another app immediately afterwards, maybe you could try.

I am being facetious because there's a difference between the possibility of doing something and doing something. Therein lies the point. Not everyone uses their phone in the gym because they're addicted but he says "you're probably gonna scroll through Tiktok instead of listening to your super educational podcast". No.

"Music is kinda overrated...is it really so special?"' and moving quickly on to people needing music to motivate them.

It's that he has decided that everyone that listens to music in the gym falls into the category of needing music to stimulate them and motivate them.

Is there some truth in some of his points? Yes. But I think his perspective is skewed because of his own issues with it and has projected that to a whole swath of other people.

Post edited by Alf Veedersane on

Yeah his critique has the same flavour to it of someone who’s just gone on a restrictive diet after years of eating like shite.

Like processed food, it’s more realistic to learn to moderate phone use than essentially cut it out altogether. I can happily use my phone for just logging my training and listening to a podcast while I’m in the gym.

There’s nothing wrong with looking at another app and scrolling while you wait. You’re literally waiting 3-5mins regardless. Looking at Instagram (or whatever) has no impact of progress off you don’t let it impact anything.

The subset of people who need to focus on the next set is far less than 1% of people trainings. All imo of course.

Just to be clear, I'm not really disagreeing with the fact that there are a lot of people who overuse/are over-reliant on their phones and social media.

I mostly disagree with the tone and tenor of the video, the sweeping generalisations (filing a set doesn't inevitable lead to posting multiple IG stories and doom-scrolling) and the videoing of people in the gym to show them on their phones (especially when he gives out about filming in gyms)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭mindhorn

There was a someone today (for the record was not built like the guy below) with a sleeveless camo hoodie thing, but only wore the hood up in between sets when he had to record himself throwing shapes around the gym. Then when he was working out he seemed to be replaying the video he just recorded as some sort of motivation for himself. Absolutely bizarre. I'd normally try to ignore this sort of thing but hard to when he was right next to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Did he havehis oversized headphone on OVER the hoodie for maximum effect?

I love those hoodies, I often find my shoulders hot and my head freezing.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Shein has a lot to answer for!

I didn’t say “cold” I said FREEZING. I’ll have a hat under my hoodie. And hot shoulders

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I wear those tops too…. So comfy! Underarmour do them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

In the gym on Sunday, a group of three dopes next to me in the squat rack. In between a set one of the guys I notice squats down, vape in hand and takes a sneaky drag. Is nowhere off limits for these fcuking vape clowns? I had to laugh at the absurdity of it, vaping one minute to doing a set of deadlifts the next. A bit like taking a bite of a big mac followed by a drink of a weight loss shake…

Yeah that's mad, but the analogy you made isn't really correct: vaping is getting a stimulant (nicotine) into your system, similarly to how an energy drink or coffee gets caffeine into your system, the overall/desired effect being a boost in performance. But it's a very anti-social thing to do indoors; in fact, it's close to smoking indoors, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Agree that's weird. And extremely ignorant obviously.

But also agree with fabhoy, that the analogy makes little sense. It's not like the deadlifts are ineffective due to the vape. Same and working out and vaping on the way home. no like we're dealing with cardio session, and a sneaky smoke mod run.

Big mac and a protein shake. If it fits your macros why not

Advertisement