Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Calves 2024

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Sold two calves in Kilkenny this morning, both AA, born mid April.

The heifer weighed 46kg €130

The bull weighed 60kg €220

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

AS we approach the end of selling calves and I noticed it was no bother selling calves this year.it wasn't that we made our fortune with them but there always seemed to be people looking for them and the gas thing is except for the fr bulls most stayed in the parish.every year we start the season thinking is this the year it goes wallop but the same lads keep coming back.we ll see next year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They are going to show us how to do it again. Nearly a million spend. 277 acre farm between Maurice O Regan and Coolmore probably some of the best land in the country. Stocked at 170-200kgsN/HA. This is probably behind a paywall it will be in tomorrow's independent.

https://m.independent.ie/farming/beef/close-to-a-million-spent-new-demo-farm-in-tipperary-is-going-to-considerable-expense-to-answer-the-question-is-dairy-beef-profitable-in-the-real-world/a209585318.html

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Hard to take it seriously when they set themselves up with every type of infrastructure imaginable, endless labour, the best land, and access to the best genetics.

It’d have more credibility if they set up a part-time operation and ran it alongside 15 sucklers and 60 ewes.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

They probably want it to mirror your average 277 acre fragmented holding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Nothing wring with running beef demos at scale. Sure if they did what you said then some lad with 14 sucklers and 50 ewes would be saying its not representative.

Went along for a look today, its an impressive farm. Stock were healthy and thriving but plain enough and will not be to everyone's taste. But reality bites, its about margin not notions. Good to see some economics in beef talked about too. 40k profit with all labour (70k) paid. Give me that over fancy 4 year old roan heifers at 5k a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Well the fancy 4 year old in calf heifer lark is a pyramid scheme. Have seen a few heifers bought by lads at it including one of my own. You would see them in Elphin or similar a year later making €4,000, but they don't say they gave €2,500 for them and then take all the risk including TB testing. If that went against you at that game you are in big trouble..

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭visatorro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The project is been subsidized to the tune of circa 170k a year with free land and nearly a millon spent on the unit that hasnt to be paid back, if the above was costed in the farm would of lost 110k this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Jack98

Has there been figures from the day published anywhere? Was the 110k excluding payments, all I saw was that figure and 320 animals to be finished so that would be €343 margin per head?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

talking to lad that was at it …..it was like they were trying to put words in lads mouth so they’d buy in to it ….figures presented were fantasy ….really trying to drive calf cbv value ….stock that were there were plain out …they were thriving but doubted many beef finishers would of been impressed

From agriland, teagasc covering land rental but get to retain any biss payments, farm is in deroagtion too, just on the 220 at current stocking rates

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Jack98

So going forward on their figures if a farmer had around 120 owned acres, given that it would be decent land finishing 100 cattle a year and with payments maximized they could clear the past part of 60k be nothing wrong with that but a lot of variables still. Do you know if they’re buying the calves weaned from milk?

Killed 5 culls yesterday 4 holstein cows came into 1300, at 4.10 a kilo, butterbox jrx cow made 750 at 3.60 a kilo, they all needed more feeding, but i'd love to be sat down and be educated as to why the obvious bias of hammering non irish genetics breed hols animals is plausable and why are they doctoring the figures, and lying whats the point…

In their reckoning a high cbv bull used on a high ebi irish cow maybe weighing 500kgs will produce a much superior beef calf to a calf of the above holstein cows

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There’s lots of work in calf to beef that seems to have been brushed over in this new demo farm.

Calves themselves need lots of attention and no matter the cleanliness or feed protocols, some will get sick. And some will die. In my experience, you need to divide them into 3 bunches post-weaning: the flyers, the average, and the small/weaker ones. There’s plenty work managing 3 different bunches, drawing meal to them and keeping them all on good grass.

Not huge work after they hit 9-10 months, but you start to see then which will leave €300 and which will leave €50. Slats and/or outwintering costs too if you don’t have an existing shed.

Finishing them is another time for managing several different groups as they start to come fit and they’ll need different levels of meal along the way. Pick out 10 (at most) at a time and finish them and hope the factory aren’t pulling prices at that stage.

And that’s assuming nothing goes wrong along the way with TB, poor weather, price of fertiliser, etc. and decent calves are reasonably priced when you buy them first day.

I’m not trying to poo-poo the demo farm. All I’m saying is there’s a world of work that big boards and figures/stats inevitably gloss over.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ginger22

Ah shure its another PR exercise by the meat factories trying to get lads to supply them with cheap beef similar to what the milk processors were at a few years ago. Lads are easily led.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I thought they were getting the calves at great value, but I suppose they are in the heart of dairy country.
    I wasn’t at the event unfortunately but had a good read through their booklet. They obviously have a shorter winter which is a help. If their figures are achievable on every day farms, there is definitely thoughts to be taken from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

from what I gather calves came from west cork area as it’s a joint venture with west cork coops

They havent even slaughtered the first batch of cattle, they've forcasted their value

I reckon theyll be in for a nice landing, its a greenfield style project only more dillusional

First page of booklet n rate of 100kg/ha

Than for 2024 theirs already 150kgs/n spread

Why cant they just present the actual factual information without the fairytales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Very good article, we're the aubracs performing a lot better than the Angus?

They are not allowing for farm setup Investment. The setup cost of 900k+ is not included. Yards and roads take up 7HA. They cleared 423/HA not acre. I do not see a breakdown for the labour cost that worth another 550-600/ HA I am not sure. Evenincluding that you are looking at 400 ish per acre.

I think the calves are purchased at28 days

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

Is the place in limerick still doing the oven ready calves or is that banned now.

It 40k of deprecation that is equivlent to about 320k in investment. For the amount of money spend depreciation should be in the 120k/year mark.

Transposing this down to a 40-50 acre farm where the lad is working part time is hard. Stocking at 220kgs/HA is tough going. I know that part of the reason of this is to justify the labour input but once again we have a demo farm in beef that is not related to where beef farms operate. This is the third farm so setup. If your farm is wet haiw applicable is this.

The Carcase projection is 275kgs at 4.7/kgaverage. That a fairly decent average weight for the calf type they say they are dealing with. Will this unit end up with 10-20c/kg higher than thr average farm. Because the animals they buy are genotyped they are suitable for the ABP advantage scheme. However trying to source such calves normally is very hard.

The reality with beef is are you justified hitting those stocking rates. The investment is crazy, it literally the price of another 60-70 acre farm. Now admittedly they did not have access to TAMS. But transposing there investment down to a 40-60 acre unit is 140-200k+. Admittedly the farm would probably have infrastructure already in place and access to TAMS which should reduce the investment back to sub 100k

The real issue is how you manage a disease outbreak. The farm will have back up from Teagasc in such a scenario which could defray costs.

Slava Ukrainii

How would it go for a farmer retiring from Dairying or child taking over part time. The level of investment would be practically zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree what your saying and when you see them heifers you wonder where is the room for the calf to come out behind instead of a zip job, these heifers have to be costing fair money coming in and all expenses to come, lots of lads got into that game now.

Advertisement