Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

NATO should send a package to Ukraine tonight with the specific purpose of taking down the Kerch bridge. You target a children's hospital we'll take down the bridge. Next time you target defenseless civilians we'll provide the means to wipe out every military asset in or around Crimea.

Make sure the the message is given directly and clearly. Fcuk around and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thatsdaft

There’s no need to firebomb cities, target refineries, pipelines, rail bridges, ports and ships instead

Hard to fight a modern war with 18th century technology, especially as only place to get tech is China (and they getting jittery), greatly marked up via third countries or … the tech paradise that is…. North Korea

Post edited by thatsdaft on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

It is not a game being played by allies of Ukraine to fight on Ukrainian soil. Ukraine has its own army that is defending their country and skillfully eliminating putin's armed forces. putin's continued use of terrorist tactics demonstrates the desperation they now have in trying to look like a genuine military. The only thing they can target now is civilians as Ukraine is such a large country it is almost impossible to provide air defense for everywhere. putin wants to draw in other countries to the conflict and that would just fuel his deranged desire to go down in history as some sort of great leader when it is becoming clearer every day what an embarrassment he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thatsdaft

“Between 462,000 and 728,000 Russian soldiers were killed, injured, or captured by mid-June, The Economist reported on July 5, citing leaked documents from the U.S. Defense Department.”

😯

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭20silkcut

That’s an incredibly high number. Up to 728,000 !!!!! That could not be possible. No way could any leader in the present time or at any time in History burn through that many of their own citizens in a war of choice for such lackluster territorial gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭rogber

I suspect the high end of these figures is nonsense. The Russian casualties are very high but if you believe every claim made by Ukrainian media sources the Russian army must be down a million men by now and it obviously isn't. Closer to 500,000, including injured, sounds plausible

Post edited by rogber on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭rogber

Another day, another step closer to Stalinism:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Both sides will exaggerate the opposite side's casualties and downplay their own. Any figures need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Russia does care far less about their disposable troops and take their cannon fodder from areas far from Moscow and St Petersburg to keep the middle classes in their comfort zone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The author Zeihan has his moments and appears to know what he's on about and sometimes does. However when he starts to talk on subjects we might be more familiar with in Ireland/Europe it's pretty clear he's a man of Big Statements© that sell well on Joe Rogan, but realities not so much. Divining the future is an inexact science, so when someone claims it's not, well… He's also obsessed with demographics and there can be a large element of if all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

You give a good example at the end. Pre this war Russia was apparently going to be alright, then magically wasn't. Why? Because that's what his audience now wanted to hear so his script changed. He's been claiming China will collapse next year for over a decade because that's also what his audience wants to hear. Like many commentators, but particularly American ones steeped in their culture of sales, it's all about selling to their audience. Wrongly attributed to Napoleon England was once simplistically described as a nation of shopkeepers in a sideways compliment on how their empire grew and sustained itself. I would equally simplistically and for similar reasons describe America as a nation of salesmen, so tend to ask what a particular American commentator is trying to sell and to what market.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If it includes Wagner, mercenaries, conscripts from the 'annexed' regions it seems possible … we have seen how they've been used as cannon fodder.

There were figures posted earlier in the thread on hundreds of thousands of extra Russians appearing on disability welfare lists. The figure is for deaths and severely wounded.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

I do wonder if they'll materialise on RT as talking heads. I don't think so somehow, as desperate as the Russians likely are for anglophone supporters to stick infront of the camera, they seem to have at least some better options currently than Daly or Wish.com's answer to Worsel Grummidge.

Specking of Wish.com, I would guess it's more likely that they end up doing something for CGTN / China Daily. Beijing aren't particularly picky when it comes to their European propagandists and their pickings of native English speakers has been slimming lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder what this new military agreement between Ukraine and Poland will mean in practice https://www.euronews.com/2024/07/08/poland-and-ukraine-sign-unprecedented-military-agreement

"Kyiv has committed to exploring new ways of shooting down all Russian missiles and drones in Ukrainian airspace that are headed in the direction of Poland together with Warsaw,"

I wonder how they define "heading in the direction of Poland". Can Polish forces only shoot them down within a certain distance of the Polish border, or can it be done in Eastern Ukraine even?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Paddigol

What about the rest of them? McDonald? Holly Cairns? O'Gorman? Leo? Was Paul Murphy asked for his thoughts on the attack? Any media clips?

"I'm not saying target a whole city like UK did to Hamburg but we should do to the Russians what the UK did to Hamburg"

Fantastic logical argument there fella. PC-gone-mad rant thrown in for good measure. What are you, 14? School holidays?

Again, just to be clear… its not 728,000 killed, but includes wounded and captured. Is there any breakdown given? Who do they count as wounded - shrapnel wound? leg blown off? If a soldier is wounded on a few separate occasions over the past couple of years, is he a multi-casualty?

How many are Ukraine claiming as killed now, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭zv2

Well, you have to add on suicides, accidents and the ones shot by barrier troops. That might come to thousands more.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Ah come on now. Don't be implying that anybody not seen on TV loudly condemning this is somehow condoning it.

The Irish position on Russian brutality is pretty clear and consistent, and similar among all the main parties.

The only ones who would even consider condoning the strike on the children's hospital would be possible extremists like Daly or Wallace, but who cares what they think. Are they even elected representatives anymore ? And I doubt even they would condone this.

That's my exact point. The poster I quoted selectively picked a few 'left' candidates and implied that they won't condemn the attack. I agree completely with your statement and was just highlighting how he conveniently left off every other political spectrum to suit his agenda.

For context, the Soviet Union 'only' suffered about 10m killed and 14m injured in the entirety of WW2.

Even 1/25 of the losses seems inconceivable given that a) they are fighting just one opponent on the battlefield, b) that opponent has effectively no air force and c) it's only half the time period of WW2.

The British had 420,000 casualties from one offensive, the Somme, in WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

d) Russia is a fraction the size of the Soviet Union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭20silkcut

They weren’t really “ optional “ wars for either the Soviets or the Brits.
    This war is a choice made by Putin. He can stop it any time.
    He has nukes. Ukraine will not chase them back to Moscow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not sure where you are getting your figure from, but you might want to check the sources. I've never seen an estimate of Soviet deaths as low as 10m

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Pro-rated for Ireland's size, that would correspond to 25.6k casualties. But then also consider that a significant proportion of those killed were probably released prisoners, foreign mercenaries, or poor people that the rest of their society doesn't care about.

I reckon the number only becomes significant for the average Russian once one of their own circle becomes one of the statistics.

Military casualties are in that range I think, which would be the point of comparison with the figures released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Orwell Road keeping up the nonsense I see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

meanwhile in the real world. There are pictures circulating of the actual missile and its a Russian only produced one. Attacks happened during the day so most likely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

ABSOLUTLY unbelievable and Totally incomphresible. The Irish and other governments of a like mind shouldDOSOMETHING re reorganising their RU embassies / reducing embassy staff or whatever. One idea would be for a number of countries to ‘club together’ and amalgamate their RU embassies into one . There must be a massive reduction in services/trade with a lot of these countries and Russia . Things can be reverted back to normal when are behaves itself- whenever and if ever that will be

Oh well, that clears that up. It wasn't Russia.

Must have been somebody else firing missiles at a children's hospital in Kiev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Roald Dahl

I agree.

There is absolutely no need for an embassy in Ireland. A single embassy for all of the EU in some dreary ex-Eastern Bloc village would be more than sufficient. There is no need to "stay in contact" in order to keep an eye on them because you can take it for granted that Vatniks will only ever be up to no good. That's all they're good for and that's all they have to offer humanity.

I'd also to know more about these notional "Irish citizens" that you hear of still being in Russia; how many of them are KGB goons who were handed a passport after living here for five years or how many of them are useful idiots like that Chay Bowes individual?

Roust them all out, I say!

Advertisement