Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Until the Dems replace Biden the choice is clear. Letting Trump back in would be a disaster.

Do you vote for the old guy who's gaffe prone, loses his train of thought and had a bad debate?

Or the other old guy who's a rapist fraud that continually spouts bullshit and lies every time he opens his fat gob?

Because that is the choice that's facing Americans currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You keep going on about the name of an alternative.

Pick anyone. It doesn't matter who. Give them 4 months of constant campaigning, being youthful, being energetic. We'll know them well by the end.

Campaigns don't need to run for years. I saw somebody on twitter point out that in France they had a snap election, a coalition of the left was formed, agreements were made on tactical voting to keep Le Pen's party out in the 2nd round and that was all done in 4ish weeks.

If the Democrats replace Biden they have 4 months (slightly less now). That's is oceans of time to get the face out there and get the message out there. Someone like Harris would have the benefit of the office of VPOTUS and access to the Biden campaign money. Pick her. Her polling is lower than Biden now, but that's on a theoretical run, and should go up when she's out there running. Biden is a known entity and is (currently) running, and his numbers aren't shifting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Absolutely.

And when it's broken down to that unavoidable choice, MAGA twist and turn and try and make it about something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Stephen Colbert is ripping Biden in his opening monologue right now and ended with calling for him to stand down. Never thought I'd see the day. It's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Jon Stewart just did the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭hometruths

Harris' polling is not based on a purely theoretical run I reckon.

Nobody thinks it's a given Biden can last the term, so right now if you are voting Biden, you've at the very least considered the possibility of Harris having to step up to Presidency at some stage in the next four years, and you're comfortable with that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭McFly85

I really don’t think it’s as easy as ‘just get someone younger’ and it’s an easy win for the Dems. Apart from the chaos of trying to get someone in in relatively short order that no doubt Trump will tear into, what happens if they’re not perfect and have a slip up during the campaign? Will that dominate the discussion instead of Bidens age? Will we be hearing about how the Dems dropped the ball again?

And will it give Trump an edge as he can campaign based on his experience?

The relentless stage of articles about his debate performance and the fallout just seems a bit disingenuous when you consider the opponent has the same concerns and far more worrying issues apart from that, but that’s not being acknowledged.

Should he step down? Maybe, depending on what candidate is out there and willing to go for it on such short notice. It would need to be someone who would basically be able to be universally popular overnight with very few skeletons in his closet.

Does switching hugely improve the chances of the dems winning? I don’t see it. There’s too many unknowns to call that, and I think if a candidate that fit the bill did exist there’s a good chance they’d be running already.

It’s a mess for sure but switching now could easily be a boost for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Indeed, discenting voices would never exist in trump's autocracy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Tell it to the millions of actual Americans who will vote, not random people on an Irish website.

• Advertisement

Biden is going to face these calls to quit right up to the nomination, where if he is still standing, there will be outright panic among Democrats.

And slowly and surely the energy from the campaign will ebb away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

This is already happening.

It's hubris on a grand scale.

They are repeating the mistakes of 2016.

Self sabotage on a grand scale, mixed with Hubris and arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well we've already lived under trump and Colbert was constantly ripping him during that whole time and still existed so..? And for the past four years when Biden was president he was still ripping Trump and never Biden. It's a sea change

I can understand the human impulse, I really can. Biden's entire life has been leading up to the presidency - he clearly has a sense of destiny about it. Which I think must be a prerequisite for even contending for a job with such awesome power. For a normal person, even contemplating the weight and the burden of the office is crushing. So I can understand him not wanting to cede that, even as, deep in his soul, he must know his capacities are dimming.

What I do wonder about is the advice he is getting and where it comes from. It seems like his inner circle is very small and has been with him for decades.

When the Dems lose - bigly, to quote the former creature - the finger pointing and recriminations will be on an epic scale.

It'll make the Republican meltdown post Romney look like a tea party (all puns intended, thank you very much I'm here all week folks 😏).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Trump campaign are keeping very quiet over Biden - they REALLY want him to be the nominee because they know he’s damaged beyond repair since the debate.

OFC Trump couldn’t help himself when he was filmed on the golf course, insulting Biden.

But the official campaign really wants Biden as his opponent.

Just like the Dems know that Trump is their dream opponent - but only if the focus can be kept on him.

The Dems knocked off a sitting President in 2020 by focusing the story of the election on the incumbent.

The GOP are about to pull the same trick. And, just like the previous incumbent, Biden's wounds are self-inflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It surely must be cutting through. People who watch Colbert (and Stewart) would normally be very much Democrat voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think you haven't been watching enough of Colbert so, and Stewart has been ripping into him for quite a while now.

• Advertisement

Interesting and unprecedented op-ed in the NYT today by its managing board. It is basically calling for the Dems on the Hill to tell Biden his time is up and to step aside. I agree with the thrust of the article.

The final paragraph cuts to the heart of the matter:

President Biden clearly understands the stakes. But he seems to have lost track of his own role in this national drama. As the situation has become more dire, he has come to regard himself as indispensable. He does not seem to understand that he is now the problem — and that the best hope for Democrats to retain the White House is for him to step aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭Field east

I suggest that the key question for the US voter when going into the polling booth is ‘ which of the two candidates would do LEAST HARM to the US / World Economy/ World Order. The decision is VERY CLEAR as to what the answer is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭Field east

also if someone is selected to replace Biden , he could go no the campaign trail to support such a candidate. That would be a POWERFUL combination . Biden,if he agrees, would be free of a lot of stuff , he can pick where. And when he wants to show up , etc , etc. and it should go down as a very popular decision amongst the Demos and especially amongst the swing voters and even some republicans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

The sad thing is that if/when Biden loses, I could imagine him or his team blaming the refusal of Colbert, Stewart et al to back him as a major reason why the loss happened instead of that debate performance where he was mumbling incoherently and losing his train of thought mid-sentence.

It's particularly bad for Colbert to be laying in because he was one of those guys who was absolutely behind Biden, even if only for the sake of defeating Trump, so if he can't spin it, you know it's bad. Stewart, on the other hand, was having a go at Biden in that 'they're both too old' way even before the debate.

It's pure bunker mentality by the White House. Surprised there haven't been Downfall memes about it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why only 4 months how about I don’t know, more than a year?

We already had a primary. That’s the wild thing.

That’s why I want to know: who would be named now, who didn’t run in the primary, and what was their reason? And does that make them a viable candidate, does that show “leadership?”

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭hometruths

That's hard hitting stuff.

The living in fantasy land if they think they can win with this election who has lost the support of the NYT to that extent. This cannot be dismissed as a right wing hit job.

So either Biden backs down or the NYT does.

It's a total mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

People didn't run because there was a belief that Biden was capable of being president and beating trump.

Things have now changed to the point where it's obvious to a lot of people that Biden is no longer up to it.

People are allowed change their minds when new evidence is placed in front of them.

Advertisement