Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options
1148149150151152154»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭deezell

The tax take varies depending on which delivery country you select, Ireland or UK but the price with tax stays at £188.99.

Make sure you're not selecting the economy version with no led display of temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Hi all,

Will be changing old boiler to a combi soon as well as substantially insulating house along with. new windows/doors.

Regarding the controls, the system is currently single zone, what would you guys recommend for a smart thermostat? Also, can the smart TRVs talk to the thermostat for better efficiency?

Theres seems to be a lot of systems out there so just looking to get some advice.

Thanks!

The thermostat stat acts as the physical relay to call the boiler and fire it. The smart TRVs open the radiator valve but have no wired connection to the boiler, but are wirelessly connected to the thermostat (or its receiver if it is also wireless). Tado TRVs reduced by 35% at the moment, you will also need a wired or wireless thermostat starter kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

well the UK discounts have vanished..should have pulled the trigger!!

That's pretty mean. I only got the Email on the 7th, tried to order on the 8th, but the shop site didn't list Ireland, but listed every other EU country. Price for 4 TRV's was €208 across the board, and you could see the different VAT take simply by changing the country destination. I should have sent it to family in Netherlands who will be visiting soon. 2 miserable days for the offer. Not to worry, it will repeat. Starter kits are top value in Screwfix still.

• Advertisement

Tado has announced the end from August of IFTTT integration. If you use this they suggest migration to Alexa scripts or the like. Annoying, I used it to automate return to schedule, to close forgotten manual stat adjustments which greatly exceeded schedule temperatures, also to alert Away mode on my mobile. It worked really well. The email message text here, its not on their website yet.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

IFTTT have really screwed up with their pricing and their "legacy customers" v Pro v Pro+.

Wouldn't be surprised to see this more and more and it be a snowball effect. Sucks as well since they actually did a lot of stuff better than Google and Amazon.

Is this a good deal and will it work here ?! The rads around also 129 sterling for 3 on amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B098BKHT3R/ref%3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so buying from EU is better than UK due to opentherm for starter kit ? There is an offer on Amazon and one of the friends wants to buy ? Thanks.

Its a boiler with hot water tank so not sure if modulation/opentherm is at play ? This is the datasheet

https://www.worcester-bosch.ie/support/literature/download/6721874147

When I clicked that link first it was showing about £85, but delivery was to US. Signing in and setting delivery to Ireland changed it to £135, about €165 with the extra vat. They were a lot less in Screwfix, but are now currently in that price region.

• Advertisement

That depends. If you buy just the wired stat kit, the OT terminals are also on it, or were at any rate. If you want the stat and wireless receiver, you need the EU one to replicate to OT terminals on the receiver. Once you configure as OT or other digital driven connection, the electrical relay in the stat or the ext. Kit is disabled. OT boilers don't do S plan and zone valves, at least not with Tado. The high end Evohome does have a solution in hardware for that afaik.

its 85 sterling with prime ! Way cheaper than the 116 euros on screwfix few days back…so its the same kit ?

No, would be the one with HW relay, as would the co.uk one. It's a mess trying to Identify if they're selling the OT equipped ext kit on Amazon UK, I think I may have seen it once as an add on item, or I may have dreamt that as I get senile!

Here's exaggeration in advertising.

The most expensive; €190. The mini version hubless starts at €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Hi deezell,

The trusty eph r27 hw is on the way out after many years if ùse. What would u recommend to replace it with

For single CH zone and HW, the Tado V3 starter kit is leading edge smart, and best value for the full starter kit with wireless stat, ch/hw reciver and Internet bridge. €153 for the kit with black wall stat, a little more for the white. Similar functionality kits are the Hive v3 HW/CH kit with hub, or the Drayton Kit2 . The receiver wires easily in place of your EPH, the wireless stat wall attached in any ideal location or can be stand mounted. If you have an existing manual wall stat, turn up full to keep the connection from the receiver to the boiler, or remove and cross connect the old stat Common and Normally Open wires. I'm assuming your system is a 2 zone system with CH and HW independently timed. If its a gravity wired system with HW heating independent but also when CH is timed, then the Tado receiver (aka the extension kit) can be configured to support this.

https://www.screwfix.ie/c/heating-plumbing/wireless-thermostats/cat4600004

Post edited by deezell on

Yep, 2 zones, one HW and the other CH both independently timed.

Tado seems to be the one to go for

They tried till the end to sell me their boiler and smart automation…when i asked about smart TRVs they said yeah thats par of the quote when it was not..they just sub hire local plumbers to install

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My hot water icon on the tado app is showing as offline so I can't control the water except to turn it on manually.

Has anyone any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

• Advertisement

I assume your CH Thermostat or app control is still connected to call the boiler. Is this the older version 2 extension kit ? This has a small configuration switch to change the relays from CH and HW switched live outputs to a single volt free CH only relay, which may possibly disable the HW configuration in the app if selected. You can reconfigure your system by a series of presses on the main stat to configure HW switching on. It might be easier to request a remote support access by Tado to see if your HW configuration has been disabled.

Should have been clearer. It's been in a year and suddenly stopped working this week. I changed phones and had to reinstall the app. Would a setting have changed to cause it?

@deezell I just changed the batteries in the wall stat linked to the kitchen rad and the hot water is now working. I've no idea why 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you click the right arrow next "Manual control in device ", you'll get these settings,

This detemines how a manual override of the device, the HW control, is ended. Three choices, the next scheduled change, the manual timer, or when you click 'resume schedule' on the app page for the 'Room'named 'HW timer'. Is the thermostat controlling the rad the only thermostat or do you have a 'Main thermostat' if this kitchen stat is also the primary stat it would need to be active as the HW is controlled manually from the main stat after a series of button presses, though few would use this.

@deezell got the V3 today, now just need to figure out the wiring, current programmer below

Advertisement