Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Figured as much!
    Although he can’t help himself sometimes.

Desperately needs to be seen as the Smartest man in the room.

Ireland so lucky to have Farrell, O’Connell and Joe before that.

POC is going to have a rough week ahead without Sheehan.
    At least Herring will be rock solid with his throwing coming off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Shehal

You forget, any player that wears a SA jersey is automatically considered a god regardless of how they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Bit of a silly comment when irish players are viewed that way here. Any suggestion that an irish players not perfect and people get slated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just watching back the Snyman take out on Casey, it really should have been a red card, he missed the ball and then took two steps before driving through on a vulnerable player. It's dangerous, and had a severe outcome. The referee completely bottled it. It was a hitman job, he didn't care about the ball he just targetted a hit on the player, a bit cowardly really, he didnt' attempt that on a player his own size. This qualifies as dangerous play, and pretending it's part of the game is complete rubbish IMO. It's an off the ball hit, deserved a red card.

• Advertisement

no they are not, jus read this forum and other and it’s critical comment after critical comment on players

You claimed Kleyn was better than every second row in Ireland apart from Beirne, that’s a certain level of nonsense nobody can take serious.

it’s not a red or even a yellow but it should have been an Ireland penalty

Andy Dunne had good take on it, he was trying to leave something on the 9 like a lot of players do, stop him getting to next ruck and slow Irish ball, he just hit him too hard and his head hit the ground, his head doesn’t hit the ground and nothing is said about it, apart from him been offside anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Shehal

Yeah because its an Irish rugby forum genius.

Just look at Rugby twitter, an SA player only needs to have 1 or 2 good games to be considered world class whereas an Irish player needs about 1 year of a similar level of performances to get anywhere near the same level of gratitude.

Plenty of positives the negative in this case being i think mccarthy didnt have a better game than etzebeth ... and then you call saffas touchy

And i stand by that kleyn comment because hes an actual tighthead lock and not an 8 masqueradeing as one. Rysn i lime more than most i just dont think he was an impending lions captain like some did and i think kleynis better as specific aspects of the game ryan was a phenominal light lock as a young player that got forced into a roleset out of desperation for ireland to have that bit th lock and has stagnated a bit with it

So your gripe is that everyones not biased enough? Super

Twitters awful dont go looking for honest opinions there everyone assumes bad faith at the begining

• Advertisement

It qualifies as dangerous play under the laws, and the severity of the outcome of his dangerous actions deserved a red. He had no business doing what he did, he should have paid for his decision to take out a player in the manner he did off the ball.

It was a dog shot but nobodys ever giving a card for that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm not sure anyone is going to call a late tackle as dangerous play though. I don't particularly disagree with your sentiment, I think he knew full well what he was doing, it was deliberately late and he deliberately landed on him to "send a message". It was an insanely long follow through on an already late tackle. But under the current laws I'm not sure there is a ref in the game who would look at that and call it a red card, and few enough who would say yellow.

Maybe the laws need changing, maybe WR need to highlight what is done about "egregious" late hits or something, I dunno.

Don't try to defend the indefensible, it doesn't make you seem any tougher. This is dangerous and should be reffed out of the game.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/9
    Section 9: Foul Play

Sub-section: Dangerous play

13. A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.
    14. A player must not tackle an opponent who is not in possession of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

My Guess:

South Africa: Team named today at 11:30am.

Willie le Roux; Kurt-Lee Arendse, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Cheslin Kolbe; Handre Pollard, Faf de Klerk; Ox Nche, Bongi Mbonambi, Frans Malherbe; Eben Etzebeth, Franco Mostert; Siya Kolisi (capt), Pieter-Steph du Toit, Evan Roos.

Reps: Malcolm Marx, Steenekamp, Vincent Koch, Moerat, RG Snyman, Kwagga Smith, Grant Williams, Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu.

IRELAND: Team named Thursday?

Jimmy O'Brien or Osborne; Calvin Nash, Gar®y Ringrose, Jamie Osborne or McCloskey, James Lowe* or Stockdale (gulp); Jack Crowley, Conor Murray; Andrew Porter*, Rónan Kelleher, Tadhg Furlong; Joe McCarthy, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (capt), Josh van der Flier, Caelan Doris.

Reps: Herring, Cian Healy, Finlay Bealham, James Ryan, Ryan Bird, Cormac Izuchukwu, Blade, Sam Prendergast.

Score: 28-13*

I've quoted the law above, the severity of the outcome should be taken into account when a player does something off the ball, and the laws are there to punish it. Needs better refereeing in the sport if that gets ignored across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be shocked if a referee gave a card even if the TMO did call it. Snyman walked the fine line of scragging his arm and immediately following through to tackle Casey. It was a cheap shot to bang up the opposition scrum half, he knew what he was doing but the outcome was completely accidental through contact with the ground.

It should be given as a penalty as he tackled the guy after the ball was gone from an offside position but there was nothing wrong with the actual mechanics of the tackle.

I don't think anyone is arguing it's not a penalty (except Jaco Peyper anyway).

I'm not massively a fan of the severity of outcome being a factor, though I acknowledge it is already used in things like tackling in the air. A legitimate tackle could have ended in the same outcome pretty easily. My emotional reaction is that a yellow would have been "fair" but I don't think it's completely straightforward. Doesn't take away from it clearly being a pretty unsavoury thing to do and none of it reflects well on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If ryan or mccarthy were as good as you have them in your head, ireland and leinster would win more things. At some point some of these guys have to be overrated compared to public perception and that is the most obvious gap to me by far.

Ryan looked better than mccarthy.. i didn't see a vastly superior performance vs eben.

A penalty and 3 points(hopefully) would have made him pay at a critical part of the game.

• Advertisement

I'd completely disagree, if you see the tackle it is clear that he slams a vulnerable player backwards flat on his back, that will definitely result in whiplash head off the ground, there was no other way that tackle was going to turn out. And it was late, and the ball was gone, player was not in possession of the ball, the outcome was severe. It ticks all the boxes for dangerous play, should have been reffed properly, that should not be tolerated in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It wasn't a red at all. Hitman job. Don't be ridiculous. Penalty yeah but not much more

Outside of the lineout, I didn't much see Eben's performance full stop…

We lost one European final precisely because Ryan went off the pitch, however that is utterly backwards thinking anyway (not least as Ireland win many, many things).

Etzebeth is clearly a better player than McCarthy and in his prime was better than Ryan is, he just wasn't on Saturday.

If the South African team were all as good as you have them in your head they should probably be beating Ireland at home by more than 7 points after Ireland made so many uncharacteristic errors. And should probably be able to beat them in a neutral venue.

The ability to win collisions is honestly something that you are more likely to be elite at early. Its mostly an athleticism, and physicality thing. He is extremely athletic, he just doesn't have good rugby IQ imo.

I don't get the last question.. elite players for ireland?

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Beirne, JGP Keenan is the short list. You could probably add Doris in there.

Post edited by ulsteru20s on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If ryan or mccarthy were as good as you have them in your head, ireland and leinster would win more things.

Ireland have won the last two Six Nations.

We didn't win the RWC but then again, Ryan got injured and McCarthy hadn't broken into the first XV yet.

By your logic that second rows are the winning and losing of tournaments, it's Beirne and Henderson's fault that we didn't win the RWC. Seems harsh, I have to say.

It's the only way to describe it, he targetted the player for a body slam after the ball had been passed away, he had enough time to take two steps before crashing into the player and driving through on him. Don't for a second believe it was a legal tackle, and the penalty for that tackle should have been a red card. I'll leave it there now as I've made my point and can see many people disagree or want to downplay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If slamming a vulnerable player backwards, flat onto his back is the threshold for a dangerous tackle, we're going to have a dozen yellow cards in a game.

I mean, McCarthy did blow the clear out that ended the tournament for us. Technically.

If he had the possession of the ball it could be considered a legal tackle. Once a player is not expecting a hit after the ball was passed away it becomes a much more dangerous thing as the player is not prepared for it.

• Advertisement

You lost a european final when the whole team melted down. Its possible that Ryan would have stopped that but its also possible he wouldn't have. Like if JGP had of went off after that amazing start, we probably wouldn't have predicted how bad the second half was.

South Africa have won two world cups in a row. They are the quintessential winners.

Advertisement