Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

1134135136137138140»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saw it by chance in CEX. I remember trying the demo ages back and thinking it was fun but not €50 worth of fun, then kinda forgot to keep looking for it over time.

Now, if only I could find a copy of Astral Chain going for an even remotely similar price...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Started up Death's Gambit: Afterlife there last night and JFC. Maybe I played it too tired & strung out but the introduction to the game was bleedin' awful. A tonne of mechanics smothered in lore that smells suspiciously like Dark Souls nonsense, and a really dreadfully weighted gameplay section.

Nice feel to the combat so far, but I'm struggling to make sense of the whole thing. Also not helped by being one of those games not configured for handheld and so the text is nigh unreadable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭eggy81

got hollow night in the latest sale for €7. Just started it last night. First metroidvania to try since dread. Enjoying it so far if finding it a little tough. Gonna take me forever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hate giving up games cos they cost money but if I'm not enjoying them either ... ? Dropped Death's Gambit cos I just didn't gel with it at all at all

So instead, decided I needed a comfort Metroidvania and so fired up Steamworld Dig 2: not the hardest or the longest, but the digging mechanic is such fun, the controls and feel so right. I hope there's room for a Dig 3 sometimes, I know this franchise loves bopping about genres (wish more did!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Took a break from Paper Mario TTYD after 2 crystals.

Playing Beyond Good & Evil. Great port, loving it so far.

The camera is still f-ing horrendous though (especially in rooms with a fixed viewpoint or narrow viewing area).

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Just finished Super Mario U on the switch with my daughter. Took us a lot longer than usual marios as a disproportionate amount of time was spent pitching each other off platforms….

Love the 2d marios. Might need to have another run through Wonder.

Also picked up Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Layer in the eshop sale for peanuts. Looks more Sonic-y than anything else but could scratch the itch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm still annoyed Yooka Laylee 2 isn't co-op. It looked to be scratching the gap left by Retro not putting out any new Donkey Kong for that balls-hard co-op fix, but you've to suffer alone apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's not like a super fast Sonic game. It's like Donkey Kong or Mario with an overworld top down puzzling section bolted on. Very good platforming in the game.

Rayman Legends is probably ahead of most of the 2D Mario games for me, and it also supports multiple players if you are looking for that. Usually dead cheap too.

Yeah, played and loved Rayman Legends, probably on the WiiU. Brilliant, especially the music levels (Black Betty comes to mind), but not quite at the 2d Mario mark, to my mind. More opportunity to screw over your co-players in Mario…

• Advertisement

I presume you've played Super Mario 3D World. It's multiplayer and pretty much top tier Mario. Which means top tier video game.

Yep, great game. Again, played on the WiiU so have never played the Bowser's Fury add-on. May well be worth a revisit. I think DK Tropical Freeze will come first for a replay though

Tropical Freeze is hard, gave up a couple of times, but it's so good I went back and finished it.

The two Ori games are brilliant too. Especially the second one.

Yep, Tropical Freeze hard but not unfairly so. Finished it before but so long ago it should feel fairly fresh again.

Played a little bit of Ori but too Metroidvania for my tastes at this precise moment. Saving all my focus in that area for Silksong, which should be out any day now….

Picked up Bō: Path of the Teal Lotus, which is a game that wears it's Hollow Knight influence pretty plainly on its sleeve. Gorgeous 2D Japanese inspired art style and has a nice feeling to it; controls well and with a nice snappiness to it.

My only complaint is one of those mandatory "keep ahead of the fire/waves/dangerous-thing" sections that suddenly demand split second dexterity out of nowhere. Have been stuck at that for ages now, my fat fingers struggling to get past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm about an hour (and two bosses) into it and I love it. Beautiful and fun game. Love the traversal mechanics, but I feel like I might regret saying once I'm a few more hours into it. 😊

I'm a few more hours into it since my vent & it's definitely an ebb & flow kinda game; fair enough for the most part but then has difficulty spikes that make me hover over the "invincibility mode" in the Options Menu.

As you say though, it is a ludicrously gorgeous game with its art-style; I particularly love the detail of its characters "speaking" in little musical flourishes. Such a nice tweak to the standard approach to have NPCs speak gibberish.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Picked up Arkenoid: Eternal Battle for less than €3 on the eshop. It has a decent single player mode, both the 80s original and a revamped version, and an online "battle" mode, but the real joy is the local competition mode, up to 4 players. Already causing chaos and division in my house…

Music is pretty decent too, 80s electronica type stuff…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Played through 'Thank Goodness You're Here!' over the weekend. Absolutely loved every second of it. Only about two hours long but definitely worth picking up IMO, very unique game.

Only down side was the framerate is a little Choppy on The Switch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement