Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The idea of subtracting FPTP wins from the list section is intended to make the overall result proportional. This is why in Glasgow the SNP got zero list seats. In 2021 they did such a clean sweep of constituencies they only got two top-up seats in total.

I am surprised there has been no serious attempt to game the system though. In regions where massive over-representation in the FPTP section makes it practically impossible to win any top-ups the list vote becomes in a sense almost pointless. I thought a load of SNP list vote would bleed off to Alba but it did not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sure — and vice versa; it's possible to think overall levels of immgration are problematic and also think that nothing you do about unauthorised arrivals is going to address the bigger isssue in any meaningful way.

But people tend to conflate the two issues (and some people seem to encourage this conflation). And that's a problem; much of the UK's public discourse about how to address the issue of unauthorised arrivals is constrained by the fact that people want to do this in way that sends signals, or reflects concerns, about overall immigration rates. And that's probably the main reason why they have failed to find any effective way of addressing unauthorised arrivals.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I see Suella Braverman is setting out her stall in Washington. Seems like the problem is that, according to her, the Conservatives were almost too woke and things like the pride flag and unconscious bias training is the problem here. Not that you need the pride flag and unconscious bias training in modern times to make it a bit fairer for people, it's that they are allowed to be displayed and show the problems still prevalent in the world. She really seems a bit thick, like Sunak, to think that the people she appeals to will not throw her out of the country if she allowed them that power.

If the Conservative members think the solution is Braverman then they are doomed for even longer than I thought. You will not be able to even more populist or racist than Farage and all you will do is alienate the moderate Tory voters. Let us remember this is the same person that told people there would not be a Brexit divorce bill with absolute certainty and we know this was not true. Surely at this stage the biggest danger she presents is not to Labour but to the Conservatives. To think that she was Attorney General at some stage. Amazing to look back at how bad it was under Johnson.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the Conservative members think the solution is Braverman then they are doomed for even longer than I thought. You will not be able to even more populist or racist than Farage and all you will do is alienate the moderate Tory voters. Let us remember this is the same person that told people there would not be a Brexit divorce bill with absolute certainty and we know this was not true. Surely at this stage the biggest danger she presents is not to Labour but to the Conservatives. To think that she was Attorney General at some stage. Amazing to look back at how bad it was under Johnson.

You'd have to wonder if the Lib Dems are watching all this with grinning teeth and salivating lips; as you note moderates and centre-right voters are gonna take one look at this obsession and lunacy & think "no thank you", and where else can they go except the LibDems (assuming there's a credible candidate in their area oh hello FPTP).

To see the Tories' most noted figures shedding their skin now and outright embracing homophobia is a fairly sickening bit of regression; really does go to show that for all the strides we have made, the slide backwards is never that far away. And we see as much with similar chuds with LePen or Meloni hovering around across the water.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is hardly unsurprising, there was always going to be a campaign push from this direction. The only question now is whether the rump of the party is willing to let her into the final two in the election, because if they do then she will likely beat any One Nation type Conservative. It still feels like the projected path many forecast for the Conservatives of spiking right before devolving further into chaos followed eventually by a central realignment is well on course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Her as the Tory leader would be just something else. For the sake of sanity and their destruction, I hope it comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's a bold move, I'll give Braverman that.

While the headlines will rightly be about the anti-LGBT message of the speech, it acknowledges - like Truss has - that they were all completely useless in their jobs.

They had no control, no idea what was going on and why. This is from someone who wants to lead the party, and thus the country.

So useless was she that despite being in charge she was powerless.

IImagine hearing that in an interview from a prospective employee? It beggar's belief that these people are so brazen that they actually think calling out their own incompetence is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The 'right' in England are clearly in major trouble. There is a big divide between the Reform / ERG type loons and the more traditional right wing conservatives. One wonders if this divide might keep them out of power for the next 10-15 years.

The right wing press are not going to help things one bit either, as they are firmly in the 'loon' camp, not so much with the ordinary traditional conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It seems rather blindingly obvious that the Conservatives need to split into two parties at this stage. The gap between most "one nation" Tories and what even Baroness Warsi referred to as "toxic, mad fascists" when describing some of her Conservative Party colleagues seems an utterly impossible one to bridge. I do wonder if the only thing keeping them together is the perceived value of the brand of the party's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Shoog

The only problem the Tories had with regard to there time in government was their secumbing to their Euroskeptic fantasies. Fairly much everything else they proposed was right on message and would have resonated with their Tory core. The problem was that that same core were often business people who frequently travelled to Europe for business or pleasure and they could see the disaster that was Brexit from a mile off.

Ultimately it was the arrogance and naked chronyism which destroyed their government not what they represented.

People misunderstand the right wing in the UK, Braverman is right on message to what the core Tory voter wants, she is not some loony fringe element. The core Tory voter has drifted away from one nation conservatism into a geratric nasty xenophobic -"I'm all right jack" party. They still believe that Thatcher and all she represented was the ultimate Tory incarnation which dooms them to follow failed economic models which have dragged the country to a state of oblivion. They are captured by a demographic that is out of touch with the UK as a whole.

The problem for them is that the country has drifted more and more liberal and away from the Tory parties values as they now are. If the Liberal Democrats could really mobilize they are in fact the natural party of the British centre right not a reformed Tory party.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

People misunderstand the right wing in the UK, Braverman is right on message to what the core Tory voter wants, she is not some loony fringe element.

She is absolutely not. She is right on message to what (many) Tory members want which is a completely different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's a tough one for Tory members. On one hand she is saying all the things they like but on the other she is "brown".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. What's keeping them together is FPTP. Splitting into two would mean a rump Tory party and some sort of 21st century BUF obsessed with nonsense. Labour would just win with no effort in this scenario and we all know it.

I can't see it. The Conservatives are now the official opposition. Ignoring the impending change in leadership, they will enjoy a natural increase in support due to being out of power.

Standard response when you adopt any ideology wholesale. The ideology can never fail, it can only be applied insufficiently. Therefore, they're going to pivot further to the right simply because the Parliamentary party has been hollowed out and because the membership is incredibly toxic.

This is the person who got called out by an actual Holocaust survivor btw:

That's a good point. Much depends on the next 5 years. Will there be a national crisis to damage Labour? What might happen on a global level? If there were only two parties, I would expect Tory support to trickle up but the Lib Dems offer a respectable alternative to your moderate (I loathe how toxic that word is now) swing voter, particularly if their new MPs can actually help achieve real change.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's very difficult to imagine any scenario where the Conservatives return to power in 2029. They are simply too divided, plus the calibre of MPs and former ministers they have currently in Parliament is incredibly low…..rock bottom to be honest. They do not have a look of 'party of government' about them in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Lee Anderson proving yet again why he is unworthy of being an MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The term to use, which gets a small minority very upset when it's deployed, is Gammon.

I still grip to the potentially naive optimism that Farage is gonna find 5 MPs doesn't amount to much in the House of Commons & it's much harder to drive the narrative from inside the tent as a noisy malcontent in the corner.

It'll all be about whether the media continue to fluff his ego & profile; it's insane that he curries so much airtime yet good luck thinking the last tie you saw Ed Davey dominating the airwaves - yet his party has nearly 15 times the MPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There's something very odd about bragging that a term referring to someone's skin colour upsets a small minority.

I despise Farage and the various neo-fascist groupings he's been associated with. It still doesn't make me think that pejoratives based on skin colour are acceptable just because I don't like the group they are targetting.

Because I don't subscribe to the idea that intolerance to the intolerant is some kind of failure of progressiveness. Red flushed outrage merchants can take it, and don't require Knights declaring prejudice on their behalf. All they need do is calm down.

I don't believe that behaving in the same manner as Farage and his bigotted fellow travellers for acting is something to be proud of. All is does is drag discourse down to the level that Farage and his ilk want it to be at.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This tired old trope gets trotted out from time to time. The term "Gammon" is based on behaviour more than anything else. People pretending that it's some kind of racial slur need to grow up, honestly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I don't believe Gammon is a pejorative so TBH you're starting from a false premise. You can't claim moral absolutism just because of the convenience that it pertains to a specific context of a skin's reaction to emotion. It's about skin therefore racism?. It's inane and a blatant attempt to play the superiority card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭yagan

The Tory's may be the main party of the opposition, but in reality the Boris majority got split between them and Reform, and so in essence there's two separate political circuses in motion; the government and opposition, and the opposition against itself.

I'd imagine that Reform picked off a good lot of the those switched to Tory from Labour back in 2019.

There is opportunity for the Libdems to siphon more old Tory's by making the sensible business case for closer alignment to the EU, more so in with the backdrop of a contest between the Tory's and Reform for who can out loony the other.

Gammon refers to a certain type of sweaty, red faced, cauliflower neck skinhead which is a definite type in England. It very descriptive but quite offending to gammons.

It's explicitly a reference to skin colour.

Those engaging in childish attempts to pretend otherwise - just so they can engage in a bit of the behaviour that they'd condemn anyone else for - are the ones that need to grow up.

Why on earth do some people, who are generally otherwise sensible, think that lowering themselves to the same level of behaviour as Farage and his followers is something to be proud of?

Incidentally, Johnson has written a 10-point guide on how to dismantle Starmer's majority. Baffling that they threw it away in a single term. It took Iraq, the expenses scandal and the global crash to do for New Labour.

There's another element that the Tories are missing. Time is not static. 18 year old potential Tory voters in 2016 are in their mid-twenties now. Anyone 80 is now approaching 90. They need to replenish their voter pool and so far, they've done nothing to this end.

It's not a whole lot different to people who try to apply the "angry black woman" trope to Diane Abbott.

If that's the type of person you want to emulate, then off you go.

It isn't. If you want to equate this to the racism endured by BAME people in the UK on a regular basis because of people like Farage, be my guest. We're done here.

I foresee that a resurgent Lib Dem party been the pathway back to EU membership, not the Labour party who will see it as a diversion to getting their agenda implemented.

The main fly in the ointment will be the constant cacophony from the billionaire backed Tory press which will never let up in their cheerleading for the millionaire class. They will be the siren call that will see the Tories rehabilitated without changing at all.

• Advertisement

I see them being a big player but we're only going to rejoin the EU once three conditions are met: The EU 27 being unanimously in favour, the Conservatives becoming sane and the Labour leadership seeing sufficient political and economic gains (should be easy enough on the third point).

The press will fight any form of progressive change hard be it voting reform, abolishing and replacing the House of Lords or action on climate change.

Advertisement