Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our immigration policy

Options
  • 09-07-2024 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭

I hate starting a thread like this because i don;t want it to be taken out of context & i don't want to be seen as racist or seen as prejudice against other religions that is not what this post is about, Id seen myself as very middle of the road , i like everyone until they give me a reason to dislike them & am normally level headed & open minded ,

The issues i'm having is i'm starting to genuinely starting worry about our immigration policy & I don't want to be one of those people , i want people who have to flee there own countries to have a new beginning & chance at life, They have children to worry about just like we do & every child is as important as the next, Its not the new people that is the issue its how we deal with the cultures mixing

I just find myself starting to worry about how we are handling it we seem intent in going down the road of putting all the immigrates in massive camps together & as we know that just leads to no assimilation into there new country or culture, which in turn cause massive social issues down the line ,

On top of that under privileged families have a history of having more children leading to explosions in numbers & Is Ireland big enough for such difference's in cultures to exists side by side without major issues,

People as a singular are rarely the issues , humans tend to get one with one another on a personal level , Like i'm sure all of you guys have friends and colleagues of multiply different races & religions like myself, The issues will be when you have masses of people with different cultures living side by side , its almost like in great number people become too tribal & lose the sense of connection we have with others,

I guess my question is what do we do long term with all these people & what is the forward planning, I'm not shouting to get rid of anyone or stop people coming here, , I'm just looking at it how we can make it work or can we make it work

How will Ireland look to our children's children,

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

Our governments are reactive, not proactive. There's no plan, they will wait till there is a problem, then implement a costly and rushed bad solution. Its how we roll, and the older I get, the more I realise it will never change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You are not actually talking about immigration policy in any of this. Those coming as asylum seekers are a relatively small proportion of immigrants to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 vival20062

Go live your life. Stop worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Their has been a huge rise in the number of them with a projected 20,000 for this year.

While other countries get tougher and we still offer the highest incentive I would expected that to grow year on year.

In 10 years time we will be looking at 200,000 illegals on current trajectory.

We have 500,000 adults living at home, record numbers homeless figures and tent cities.

We will not build enough to support 20,000 people a year without taking into account homes for irish kids who will transition to adults.

Unless the plan is to fill streets and fields with people then something is going to need to change in the policy.

The number may seem small now , but 20,000 a year is not a small number in a housing crisis and into such a small country.

Then you take into account we are not increasing services to match population increase.

If we keep doing nothing and hoping for the best I see us in a decade making sweeden now look like a paradise.

this is the typical irish reaction to everything and the reason we have so many issues with services in the country.

Do nothing and hope for the best, enjoy life and don't worry about the younger generation.

• Advertisement

Yeah like sitting around worrying and starting threads about your worries is in anyway useful to anyone.

People these days don't realise how good they have it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Their has been a huge rise in the number of them with a projected 20,000 for this year.

While other countries get tougher and we still offer the highest incentive I would expected that to grow year on year.

In 10 years time we will be looking at 200,000 illegals on current trajectory.

You really need to brush up on your understanding of immigration.

You replied to a post about "asylum seekers" being a small proportion of immigrants with a figure of 20,000.

But then extrapolate that there would be 200,000 "illegals" in 10 years time.

Illegals are not asylum seekers, asylum seekers are not illegals.

Yes we have people claiming asylum and yes we have people coming over on visas and overstaying and disappearing into the black economy, but they are different.

So now, which one of them is the problem or are both the problem ?

For me the asylum seekers are the biggest issue because they need support, the illegals don't, they actually shun support so as to retain their anonymous status.

I refer to illegals as people who dump passports, come in through the north or in the back of vans and arrive looking for free money and accomadation.

They are breaking the law and are arriving here illegally.

I didn't start any thread and I am not worried for myself.

I am worried for my kid and the future of other kids.

Ignoring problems and hoping they will go away is not going to do any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its not like i sit around all day worrying about stuff , of course lif goes on and you go about your daily routine,
    But isn't the whole idea of sites likes boards is to share some of your thoughts ,

How do i not know how good i have it ? or for that matter how do you know i have it good ? You have no idea your statement is nonsense

• Advertisement

But illegals don't arrive looking for free money and accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What do they look for when they come here exactly?

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You are still not talking about immigration policy and there is a whole other thread on refugee policy which is exactly what this is all over again.

Immigration policy is about how we give visas, who to and who we allow visa free rights to travel and work to. About 140,000 people annually fall under this category from the last figures I saw (though some are returning Irish)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Really, perhaps you should wake up out of your comfortable position and have a look about. The demographics, ethnic make up and culture of this country have changed considerably in the last 20 years and the rate of change is accelerating. It's obvious when you walk the streets of any Irish city or town and increasingly small villages too.

If this doesn't bother you, fine and keep the head down.

If it does concern you, then do something about it. At the very least write/ email/ phone your local TDs and express your concerns.

Are regards our population makeup we are rapidly heading down the MacDonalds/ Starbucks motorway - the same wherever you go. Apart from those states on guard against this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

policy dont mean squat with out enforcement and there is feck all of that in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Podge says:

You are not actually talking about immigration policy in any of this. Those coming as asylum seekers are a relatively small proportion of immigrants to Ireland.

And Backstreet Moyes replies:

There's 1.15 million foreign-born residents in the State; 20,000 is insignficant by comparison, even if sustained for several years. Seriously, if your concern is about immigration and the issues associated with it, but you focus all your time, efforts and energy on asylum seekers, nothing you do is likely to make any material impact on whatever concerns you have about immigration. You're looking in the wrong direction.

Who?

Illegals or asylum seekers?

Asylum seekers are looking for asylum obviously,a country to take them in because they are allegedly fleeing something.

Illegals on the other hand have no legal rights to live or work here but they do so under the radar.

Illegals don't engage with the authorities, they'd rather not ever engage with the authorities for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

I know the change in demographic in my area is there for all too see and has accelerated exponentially in the last two years.

Like the op I also worry about the future of my kids, from housing to health we are not scaling up to meet demand, part of me thinks why should we ?

we can divert the money for kids with scoliosis but seem to have endless resources for newcomers.

I would dearly love for someone to explain what the strategy and plan is for 2, 5 10 years time ?

Instead all you get is the usual platitudes.

Why does ireland have to bend over backwards just because someone fancies living here?

People travelling through multiple safe countries and coming from safe countries because we are a soft touch.

The current situation is not sustainable any numptie can see that, well except the ones that seem to be making all the decisions.

Unfortunately the

tap has been turned on and will be impossible to turn off.

It isn't going to end well unfortunately.

Now instead of slating me please explain the plan, I'm listening...…

If it can be explained to me maybe I'll come onboard and go handing out tents for the weekend.

Because all are welcome........

°°°°°

People are presenting as asylum seekers without relevant documentation on a daily basis in Ireland. The line between asylum seeker and illegal immigrant is blurred, the dogs in the street are aware of this.

We have no transparency around these people, NGO's are tasked with providing them with tents and moving them into "proper" accommodation while the process of weeding out the chancers takes its sweet time kicking into gear.

Ireland currently has extremely lax processes in place for dealing with people entering the country without passports. Currently the process is to send them to Mount Street and let them go through the tent to asylum accommodation process.

You're arguing from a position that is based on the idea that Ireland currently has a fit for purpose process of dealing with any type of migration which it doesn't, the delineation you're describing doesn't currently exist.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭csirl

According to the CSO we had just under 55k births in Ireland last year.

When compared with this, 20k is a large number i.e. 36%. More than one third.

• Advertisement

It is illegal to enter a country after destroying documentation.

Are you claiming none of these people have received free money or accomadation?

There is no use talking to people like you because you refuse to distinguish between illegal immigrants and asylum seekers and you just use language to conflate both.

°°°°°

Currently there is no delineation between the two thanks to Irelands inability to deal with illegal immigrants posing as asylum seekers.

You challenge others to "brush up on your understanding of immigration" when you're patently ignoring demonstrable facts surrounding the issue yourself.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭suvigirl

'The line between asylum seeker and illegal immigrant is blurred'

No, it's not, except for people trying to blur those lines, criminalizing asylum seekers before their claims are even heard.

no-one believes that 100% of AS arriving here have a genuine case, but what they do have is a legal right to claim asylum, and they are not illegal immigrants.

It's obvious when you walk the streets of any Irish city or town and increasingly small villages too.

What is so obvious exactly?

Like their is no point talking to people like you who deny entering the country without a passport is illegal.

°°°°°

Should asylum seekers present identification upon arrival in a country they are claiming asylum in?

Glazers Out!

What if they don't have any? Or hold false documents? Not all countries are like Ireland, it's not always possible for people to have identification. In an ideal world, sure, but the world is not ideal.

And again, no one believes 100% are genuine cases, but they are not illegal immigrants

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Nope

We are not having ANOTHER immigration thread in CA

Not gonna happen

1. It is not materially different to the existing threads
    2. It becomes a magnet for posters banned from the other threads

Closed - do not start another one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement