Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Well in fairness, ye have offered both cheeks up to Cork for most of hurlings history. Why change the habits of a lifetime? The champagne hurlers are coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

We ll see on the 21st. All Cork have to warm yerselves is ancient history. The champagne 🍾 might be more 19 euro cave than Dom Perignon. It could be 2013 all over again. As the great Dublin manager Heffernan always said about Cork..'Their Hubris gets them in all sorts of needless trouble'. Shur by the time the 21st comes around Cork will be challenging Limerick and Kilkenny as the best team of all time. The only thing missing will be the titles

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Look worry about your own team and we can worry about ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Tradition won't win you the game of course. At top level sport mentality is everything and believing you can win is half the battle or maybe even more. Clare had a much better team in 2013 than Cork and but for a referee playing on from a puckout would have lost it.

As for this final Cork are a much stronger team than when we last played Clare especially defensively. Of course the sending off had a big impact on that game too. Cork will get goal chances and the winning of the game might hinge on whether they take them or not. Curtailing O'Donnell will be crucial too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Clare have several players with All-Ireland medals, while Cork obviously have none.

Clare beat Cork already this year in both league and championship.

Is it 4 Clare wins in last 5 championship meetings ?

Maybe tradition will be a factor here 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cork players have all ireland medals just not senior ones! If you want to judge Cork off the game this year fair enough but much stronger now in my view and the sending off was crucial too. Clare should have won by more than 2 that day but some late goals kept it close. Beating Limerick twice since who are the benchmark is proof of the improvement in Cork.If Limerick were playing Clare they would be quite rightly expected to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

you're up for an all-star in trolling and WUMing

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

People do realise TGM is not actually a Corkman, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

No idea but he's said on previous threads he's from up the country somewhere, not a traditional hurling county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Any tickets out on the loose yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Montys return

You'd have to be treating that claim with a fair dose of scepticism from reading his posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Initial ticket allocation of only 16000, very disappointing. I'll do my best but I'm trying to prepare myself for disappointment. Only missed one game this season so it will be gut wretching to miss the final. And I'm sure there will be quite a few like me....

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

No luck in the club draw tonight.. only missed the Wexford game in the championship.. is there any other avenues I could try

Unfortunately it'll probably be a case of "who you know"...…or enter one of the myriad of social media raffles/ fundraisers and get lucky.

I wake up too see club Clare touting tickets for a preview brunch in Dublin with a ticket for 300. That gets my back up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Clubs usually get more tickets next week. They'll eventually free up and it's very rare you'll hear of any genuine supporter not getting a ticket. This is the hardest week though when you haven't got one and you're searching like mad.

I hope you're right buddy. In fairness I think it was Thursday or Friday before the final in 2013 before I was blessed to get my ticket. Fingers crossed again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Heffo was talking about football there! The Dubs last beat us in championship hurling almost one hundred years ago! I'm expecting a close game, and as the cliché goes whoever gets the bit of luck on the day will win.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Discussion of ongoing legal issues against someone is a MAJOR no-no in Ireland (not just on boards), thanks so much for the respective way it was mentioned in passing in a couple of posts but I had to remove a couple of posts "just in case".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Tickets will free up next week, I didn't get any in the club draw and hearing loads of lads going mental (WhatsApp is great at times), but in reality it'll be Saturday week before people have tickets, I remember lads in 2013 having pick of tickets before sending them on, the new legislation againsting touting mean genuine people will get tickets.

If you find yourself with a pick of tickets next week would you mind keeping me in mind for 2. I think I've every raffle in the country entered at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Entered some raffles and social media competitions. Hopefully one of the brother in laws come through for a ticket. Looking forward to the final. Maybe we are beginning to peak a bit now with a good performance against wexford and second half against kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

how are Clare going to handle Barrett at center forward?
    Conlon even with Malone dropping back won’t have the pace.

But at the same time, dramatic changes to the Clare setup aren’t really possible at this point, would do more harm than good. Play the game on your own terms.

Really, I expect the final to be a complete shoot out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

what we need to do is contain cork early , they haven't changed in anyway since the game in pairc ui chaoimh in April , they started like a train , barrett and connelly had hayes and hogan in 6s and 7s , last week kilkenny done the same it was a combination of our half back line getting caught out in the build up play or the half forwards not tracking their men

we were 7 points down 5 minutes into the second half that day , we were 6 down against kilkenny , the difference between both fixtures in April and next sunday is fairly simple , cork got a defender sent off and it upset their rhythm for the rest of the game we went from 7 points down to 6 points up in that last 30 odd minutes before hoggy caught us asleep for the late goal

the key ingredient is to contain cork early , they ambush teams in the first 40 minutes of games , but they do die off , and we have been the opposite all year , even in the munster final we were terrible but were still in the game in the 67th minute ,so its vital we contain them from the word go , the best way to stop this is to stop messing around with short game plans that put the backs under further pressure , and give plenty of 50/50s into the forwards

if you look back at the first half last week , we hit some terrible balls into the inside line but the backs were able to cope most of the time when kilkenny countered , it was when we went short and got overturned we had problems , maybe dont be afraid to go a little bit old school and get stuck in early on , turn it into a dogfight like kilkenny would normally do , slow them down and hope our fitness , our bench and our forwards can see it out late in the game

same as if cork were in the same situation , i have too much time for cork and what pat ryan has done this year to think this game is easy though

i heard what happened and it was blown out of proportion

one person left the panel , because he had his own club commitments and had a limited role in the panel

the other fella taught he was running the panel when he was only carrying the hurleys

romar apparently got into a heated row with darragh lohan , darragh mentioned it at home after the session but said very little , his mother pressured brian ( his sister in law) for answers brian said he had a strict confidentiality between the squad and couldnt reveal anything that happened at training

young lohan's mother turned up and thore into romer at caherlohan apparently , but the poor hurley carrier couldnt help himself and took on the woman as if she was any other man….🙄😲

After bad mouthing his nephew and saying god knows to his sister in law in the car park lohan called the worlds greatest hurley carrier to one side to set the record straight , the kilmaley native initially wasn't happy but is happy to work in an advisory role as hurley carrier for the rest of the year …..

the real noise came from the clare times page , where romer is rumoured to be a source for the page, so hence all the noise ,

it was sorted weeks ago before the wexford game apparently !!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭td1

Realise this is probably a long shot but if anyone has a ticket that they no longer need, I'd be glad to take it!

• Advertisement

There will be very few Clare supporters at this. most people i usually go with or meet at matches haven't got there hands on any. I don't know the situation in Cork but must be similar.

Ive resigned myself to watching it at home on the day unless a miracle happens

Advertisement