Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bog master

Have to be a bit cynical here-do we have to be bribed with a gift of a deposit refund to collect litter? Thousands of people including myself have participated in clean up days/schemes and would not think of being compensated!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You're not really being all that cynical.

The likes of you and me and all those thousands of cleaner uppers/litter pickers,while doing our bit, were always a minority.

A sizeable and hopefully growing minority it must be said through initiatives like Tidy Towns and Spring Clean.

As you said we never expected payment in any way and just did it out of civic spirit.

However the way I see it is if the bribe/bonus of getting a little cash attracts more people to join our ranks and help clean up it's a win win.

Plus I'm not averse to collecting a few euros for my own efforts either 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joebrosaysno

Out of interest is there a link to a discussion anywhere on the forum related to the negative impact this scheme might have on companies who recycle these bottles and where these bottles in some cases may have made up a considerable portion of their revenue? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you go back a few pages, you see posts linking to and discussing Irish Independent articles where a figure of €15 million is quoted, and losses of €700,000 a month.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nothing too wrong with system, but for fact there will always be a certain percent never returned, and it adds up to millions that are lining the pockets of those running it, when those millions should be paying for more and more bulk return points, and manual return sites……….. if it is really about returning items, as at the minute it seems to be about making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They are aiming to collect 90% of all containers sold by 2030.

I suppose they reckon the other 10% will go missing one way or another.

I looked it up and posted before about the legal structure of a Not For Profit Company which Re-turn is.

I can't see any legal means for directors to draw dividends from such a company.

It's sort of obvious that they want containers returned because they keep saying they want to reach that 90%.

I agree that bulk return sites would be a good addition. They would divert people with large numbers to return away from the RVMs. This would leave the RVMs for domestic users and reduce delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

It is obvious that there are people either directly employed by Return or associated with them posting in this thread. No one is that casually invested in the uptake of this awful regime.

As mentioned last month, I have boycotted this scheme. There is so much wrong with it. It's almost as if the drinks companies want to keep justifying the use of single use plastic or something.

Earlier today, it was comforting to see that there does not appear to be much of an impact on the can banks in when I went to recycle my glass bottles. I must confess I did have a few drinks cans to recycle as not everyone in my household has boycotted DRS. What I do now is ensure that I crush each can when I put them into the container, just in case they somehow end up in a DRS machine. I now even deliberately stand on discarded drinks cans (and leave them there) so they can't be used by anyone else for DRS. Before I would throw them into the bin. That's how much I detest DRS.

Only by non-compliance will we see the end of this scheme.

I'll give it a year. 18 months, tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

I personally have managed to avoid DRS to date but within the house I've seen it creep up, to my annoyance. Even though we are not big consumers of drinks, Re-turn has quietly become part of our shopping routine.

So we took a trip up north and returned home with just under 200 items that would be in-scope here. Total cost was around £90/ €105. [The cost here, including MUP on some of the items, would be around €170, plus around €29 DRS.]

So, some welcome savings on the cost of the items themselves, but the true benefit of shopping north is not having to engage with re-turn. The €29 deposit we avoided is not huge money, to be fair; but we have probably 15 weeks worth of beverages now bought, the advantage is we avoid 15 weeks of storing old cans and bottles, carting them back in, finding a machine that works in a shop we want to buy in, all to get €1-2 per weekly visit back.

Instead, from here until October I know I can simply dump into our blue bin any can or plastic bottle and not worry about DRS. And then plan another trip north.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Its here to stay just like when it was bought in elsewhere. You need to get a gun to shoot yourself in the foot. This idea of crushing cans and bottles that have a value is stupidity you are handing the system money to run itself.

Unless you are very bear the border its not an option. You should really be printing off bar codes to collect the DRS.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Actually not at all close to the border but we would be up there for other reasons maybe 3 times a year so it works for us.

I know eventually the UK will have their own scheme but until then I'm happier doing things this way.

Re: the labels, I am not interested in that as all I want to do is to use my own recycling bin without penalty. FYI There are actually some items sold in NI with re-turn logo so in fact a new label may not even be needed ... But it's avoiding the scheme altogether is what I am trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MagaBot

It's very strange that you say with glee that you intentionally destroy the cans to prevent someone else from potentially recycling them. It is incredibly petty and childish.

Anyway, I will say that going out of your way to fund a scheme that you dislike is an odd way of "boycotting" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Still haven't engaged with this scam since it launched, but then I had already accepted it as a glorified price increase/stealth taxation designed to make it as awkward as possible to avoid. The only ones winning are those collecting the interest on these "deposits".

As I mentioned though, I don't pay for a bin collection service either (all of my rubbish goes into the local landfill compactors for about a tenner per boot load - 8ish black bags) so I'm saving there as well.

Ultimately though, my time is more valuable to me than wandering the town with bags of rubbish to find a machine that might take it for what is ultimately maybe 15/20 quid a month, or the cost of a single takeaway including delivery.

There Is no searching and no time wasting. Small box in the utility room. I pick it up when it's three quarter full and put it in the car, when I go to get a few litres of milk I throw the into the machine collect my receipt and it pays for a couple litres of milk.

In this life you can spend your time looking at problems and worrying about them, or you can just look for the solution.

The solutions are usually pretty simple. Before the deposit return I woukd go for a walk I carried a small bag to collect bits of rubbish along the road I walked. It was mostly plastic bottles and cans. You can already see the drop off in them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

What if you dont have a utility room? Or a car?

Anyway, I was shocked when browsing the fizzy drinks on tesco. 8 x 150ml cans of Coke is now 9.55 including the deposit. Thats 6.96 a litre. Meanwhile, 6 cans of beer (440ml) is 3.79 a litre.

Why is coke so expensive now? Oh yeah, the Sugar Sweetened Drinks Tax: https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/sugar-sweetened-drinks-tax/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Get a Club Card and you can have the Coke for €6.55 including the deposit. Or if you can live with using bigger cans, this is available, without the card:

Coca-Cola Original Taste Soft Drink 12X330ml

€14.00

€3.54/litre

+ €1.80 Deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Toranaga

You presumably have another room in your abode? You can get places by other means than a car.

Again you are just looking at the problem, it could be a bag under the sink or a box in a corner of a press. Put them into a bag and take them to the shop. Biggest failing often is waiting until there is too many. It like the lad that builds up a load of money in coins and tge bank are reluctant to take them. There is solutions for nearly everything

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh let's completely overlook that 4 years ago 24 Diet Coke cans were €12 as standard, often down to €8 on sale. Now you can't even get the 24 pack anymore, the 18 pack is €17, only a euro cheaper than the full sugar versions which the smart among ye will immediately notice that the full sugar versions should be more than a euro more expensive due to the tax… And that's all before this re-scam charge. And people defending prices… ye are the reason this crap comes in and is just accepted. Suits ye and yours fine so feck everyone else. There's another thread on selfishness in the first page ye should post in…

FYI: Aldi selling the 18 packs for €10 presently, full sugar or diet/zero. I stocked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Hard to believe this relabelling out of scope containers carry on has resurfaced. As if people have endless time to run around doing yet more free work to earn their own money back. More than 1 Re-Turn plant in this thread. Its comical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The solution to this particular problem is not to engage with it. Reduce your use of these types of containers and those that you do use fire them into your recycle bin.

Engagement with the system will have you tearing your hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

it's over a month now since shops were warned that they'd be fined 5k if they were selling non-return products. shop i work is still selling them and as are others around, from googling can't find any reports of it happening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Should report yourself to Re-Turn and be promptly told "it's nothing to do with us, now stop bothering us while why count up the millions we're making"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bog master

They palmed off enforcement of that to the County Councils!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭patnor1011

In fairness if you destroy cans and bottles where deposit was paid and present this as a sort of a protest you actually sound like you are working for DRS benefit. Simply because they will then just keep your money.

If you want to protest then stop buying cans and bottles where deposit is charged. That is the only way to hurt them in a pocket as this scheme is directly associated with producers of such drinks.

Go for glass bottles and make your own soft drinks. If enough people stop buying logo'ed produce they would abandon it faster than you think is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So no enforcement then, unless someone has upset the Council for other reasons.

Joke of a scheme being run here while Re-turn get paid a lot for very little.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Do you know where the shops are getting their supplies from? Producers and wholesalers should have stopped supplying non logo stock in mid March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭patnor1011

There are a lot of ways to force them to either improve this scheme or abandon it. From outright boycott of products with deposit charged to little more time consuming but direct reduction of profit this "non-profit" organization is making like printing receipt after every single bottle or can you deposit in the machine. If enough people start doing this watch how fast they will implement some app or mobile wallet as they would not be able to keep up with changing rolls and servicing printers in machines. Also stores will push them towards this as cashiers will be swamped with hundreds of vouchers which need to be scanned one after another. Well, if we have to put bottles and cans one after another nearly perfectly alligned so code can be scanned why not to give them taste of their own medicine?

I have been depositing couple cans and bottles every morning on my way from work. Sometimes more sometimes less, I kept vouchers as I did not need anything from the store that time. Today I was paying for purchase and gave cashier about 10 vouchers and she rolled her eyes as she had to scan them one by one. Funny thing is that it was me who had to put cans in one by one she got it easy yet still, she did not like it. I do not want to make fuss for cashiers but if that is a way to make this unfit system to work better I can easily produce 200-300 receipts a week.

• Advertisement

The Minister is standing his ground against the media campaign by the waste companies trying to justify a price increase.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22414474/

Advertisement