Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options
1171172173174175177»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Thought a new leaf was going for €21.5k these days? Is the other €2k on dealer delivery charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

The battery on my 192 40KW leaf has given up the ghost after 220,000 odd kms. I was quoted 600 euro from Nissan to determine how many modules are gone. I think they said 3,000 per module replaced, with an unknown number of modules. Does anyone have any ideas where I should go from here.

Either get it towed to an independent EV repairer to repair or if sticking with Nissan, go for the Joe Duffy show to drum up some goodwill. Has the Leaf had a lot of DC charging or Taxi usage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

I would start with hooking up LeafSpy Pro and checking battery health on your own to get some base numbers. The dealer might not exactly be incentivised to save you money by replacing only what's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭glen123

I'd try to have it repaired privately. Are you a member of NISSAN Leaf Owners Ireland Facebook page? There are a few people there that can repair EVs, batteries including. I've taken a note of one guy's name when reading the group. I can PM you his name if you want and you can try him. Range Therapy may be able to help too or point towards the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Thanks for the reply. Im not a member of the facebook page. Yes if you could PM me the name please that would be a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Question on Leafs, Im planning on buying either a 2018 or 19 40kw Leaf later this year or early next year. But was just reading about the Chademo charging system which I understand has little to no support on public chargers. Do the 2018/9 models run on the Chademo system or is it only the older 24kw Leaf model from 2012-2017? Id be mainly charging at home but there is a charger in work which I dont think is Chademo but CCS instead. Meaning thats not an option if I couldnt charge at home for some reason. Also while I wont be doing many long trips if I want to make a 500km spin somewhere I want to be able to charge it, is this getting more and more difficult for those on Chademo? Are there any maps of their charging stations that work across the country?

All Leafs use Chademo for fast charging. You can also use any AC charger to slow charge it (same port you'll be using to charge it at home) - speed from AC charger will depend on whether the car will have 3.6 kW or 6.6 kW onboard charger installed so something to keep in mind/check when buying a car. ACs often installed at car parking spaces around the city or at shopping centers.

All chargers we have installed in our workplace are AC chargers so any car model can slow charge of it while parked for the day.

Download Plugshare app - this should have all chargers around the country. You can use filters to show you only Chademo and AC chargers.

I haven't used a fast charger in 2 years but looking at fast chargers around Limerick and Shannon when I drive, they are nearly always available including Chademo. It's not cheap at all to fast charge or even use AC chargers so that could be why.

Post edited by glen123 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The work charger is very unlikely to be CCS. That's DC combined with AC (CCS stands for combined charging system) and an expensive yoke to install. Much more likely to be AC (Type 2) which is the top part of the CCS plug shown below (the bottom part is the DC bit).

Plenty of Chademo chargers around. Even new charging stations like the one in Carrickmines has an equal number of Chademo and CCS. There may be some other new ones without Chademo, but lots of the older units around. As per above post, Plugshare with filters will show you how widespread they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Great car. We have a 2018 model. They are CHAdeMO, but are Type 2 for AC charging. Plenty of CHAdeMO around for the rare occasion you will drive that 500km.

Your work charger will be an AC Type 2, so you can use it. You would be getting an untethered, or type 2 charge point installed at home. It's a good time to be buying used Leafs.

Use Plugshare and you can also use android auto or apple car play in the car.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Whoever told you CHAdeMO has little or no support on public chargers is exaggerating, that seems to be the norm here to somehow undermine an excellent EV

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks for all the info lads. Just in terms of Chademo going forward, are their chargers something that are being phased out or whats the position? Ive determined that for my own use case of majority charging at home and a little bit at work when needed then a Leaf would work for me. But question is where would I be left in 2027 or 28 when I go to sell it. The worry is the market would be limited to only those with home charging and thus the value of the car would decrease because of worries about public charging. I guess what Im asking is if public Chademo charging is here for the long term or are new units no longer being installed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

being phased out. No new esb chademo chargers being installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I wouldn't worry about and I've put my money on it by buying a 2018 only a couple of moths ago. In 2028, there will probably be more CHAdeMO than there are now. ESB are the dregs for charge points anyway. Other companies install CHAdeMO points.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They install some. But not as many as CCS. The likes of circle k and AG have one chademo plug (or no chademo plug) where there's multiple CCS plugs. Source: I'm a 2011 leaf 24 driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Still a lot of Chademo chargers in planning stage. Obviously not as many as CCS, but there are still a hell of a lot of legacy ones out there. ESB still have at least one planned in Airside (8) and obviously just went live in Carrickmines with another 8.

You can see the planned ones on Plugshare if you filter Chademo and coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Is it possible to hire a Leaf for a few days or a week to get a good feel for the car and a few tests?

No, best bet would be to convince some Nissan Dealer to give you an extended test drive over a long weekend or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I would have liked to test one out for a week on a few trips to get a good idea on suitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Goldmark

Looking at purchasing a 2018/2019 Nissan Leaf 40kW. Seeing posts here and there with people experiencing battery module failure as the cars get older. I am aware that a lot of Nissan Leaf's sold and that people with issues are more likely to be posting looking for solutions. Our climate should suit the Nissan Leaf with its passive cooling and lots of Fast charging should be the major risk but it can be assessed. What do people on here think about about the batteries on these cars should they as an average be good to achieve 250,000km or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was delivering a '12 Leaf to its new owner (a boardsie) from Dublin to Galway yesterday, I find the fastest to do a long trip with a very short range Leaf is with frequent CHAdeMO stops and keeping the SOC very low. I stopped 5 times

So, the last 2 of the charge stops were on the old EFACEC triple head chargers and they started with 51kW and 48kW (readout from the display near the bottom of the charger). Is that real or way overstated? On the more modern ESB chargers, the highest I saw was about 35kW

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭teediddlyeye

For anyone using leafspy what kind of OBD adaptor are you using?

Seems to be anything from €10 to up to €90. Might be overthinking this as I'm used to dealer level/OEM gear.

Just assuming a €10 job is just as good?

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Advertisement