Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is everybody broke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, you d find most households would simply come to a stand still without the car, you dont seem to be able to understand this, again, modern society is completely built around the private car, public transport options simply arent an option for many of these households, and in many cases it just simply doesnt exist…

…again, its great that some such as yourself can live without a car, but a bit compassion for those that simply cannot, some policy makers also dont get this reality……

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I honestly don't know anybody who is doing fine in today's business climate. Everybody seems to be struggling with something else. Mostly it's about housing, the cost of living, high childcare cost, not getting doctor's appointments in time, etc… If somebody has a bit of money left it's often spent quicky, on tatoos, or going to concerts like Taylor Swift, or travelling somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Great if it makes financial sense for you. Your schedule sounds very punishing. If you are looking to reduce your costs and have more time I'd recommend taking a serious look at ditching supermarkets, people waste hours a week in those places. And have a look at e-mobility for some trips, a fraction of the cost of car usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Gary_dunne

You say that but when people give you legitimate reasons why they need a car you come back and tell them why you think they're wrong despite not knowing or trying to understand their perspective.

Would you be cycling with your kids 30km return to bring them to football training or a music lesson twice a week?

I'd say it would be more unhealthy physically, mentally and socially to tell them they can't join the GAA/Football team because you don't want to drive them to it and it's an hour cycle each way.

…how do people return their bottles and hence get refunds? if they go to supermarkets for this, they might as well do their shopping, whereby the get to chose their own groceries…..

e-scooters? are they really all that safe, would you feel safe moving yourself and your family towards this transport type?

e-bikes? are they really all that cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Completely effin broke. Earn good salary but only making ends meet.

I don't agree that most households would come to a standstill. Lots of people are just brainwashed by the movies. A car is the second most expensive purchase of a lifetime, it should be carefully considered but it often is not.

What are you talking about compassion for? You'd think I've kidnapped your firstborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I can do a week's shopping in less than half an hour, physically going to the supermarket means I can pick things with a longer date and ensure it lasts the week.

I've only used online shopping once when I had Covid and I wasn't impressed with the quality of some things or what they considered a suitable substitute. Online shopping is only an option with Dunnes and Tesco where I live (a large town in a commuter county) and would cost a lot more than a quick trip to Aldi or Lidl.

You're making out that the weekly grocery shop is a mission, it's really not with a car.

The CSO also indicates that irish households are saving tonnes of cash a year. Most people will not tell you if they are doing OK, that's the issue.

…as others have rightly stated, you dont seem to be able to understand life from others perspective, which is actually a considerable problem for you, and i suspect is causing you issues in other aspects of your life, particularly offline!

…again, many households would simply come to a standstill without the car, period, this is due to the fact modern life is completely depended and designed around the private car, this is not the ireland of the 70's and 80's, whereby there was far less cars in ownership, therefore our society was far different, and it was possible to be without a car, i.e. we lived in a country that was designed for far less cars…

during this period, most households only needed a single income to function, this is not the case now, as many households now struggle on two incomes, this also means theres far less time available to parents to preform household needs, this is where the car is critical, i.e. moving to alternative modes of transport, if they even exist, simply isnt a reality, due to this time constraint…..

• Advertisement

You've misunderstood, I've only offered suggestions for lower cost alternatives to consider. All are free to live as they choose.

To answer your question 'would I cycle 30kms etc.' TBH I wouldn't have arranged my life that way in the first instance, but that's just me personally. I get that people don't pre plan and then find themselves struggling after, I'm just suggesting alternatives that may be helpful.

Some people take offense to that because of the psychology of habit forming and emotional connection to machines.

…yes ireland currently is experiencing record deposits, but again, devils in the detail, we re not privy to who exactly these people are, and dont forget, averages dont mean everybody is saving! as the saying goes, if bill gates walks into a bar, everyones a millionaire!

…its also important to realise, a large proportion of those deposits are being saved in order to purchase property!

…you re coming across as being condescending now, that your decisions are superior!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Can you not accept that people may have preplanned to live in a rural area for their quality of life and are happy to drive when needed?

Can you not accept that people preplan but are limited by their budget?

Here's a 72m² house (from a thread in AH) in Cabra, you'd manage without a car but, and it's a big but, the bidding is now at €560k. Not everyone can plan to have a budget of over half a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most households?

Some, for sure.

But the majority don't live in rural areas or have children so young that they need to be taken everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

I dont know your personal circumstances. I would imagine though that you dont have children or your children are grown up. You dont seem to realise the challenges facing families if they dont have a car if they live outside of Dublin where public transport is very poor. As I said earlier a car is a necessity for most people not a luxury!

We're a family of 5. It is not possible to live near everything we need. There is not enough hours in the day to cycle everywhere we need to be - I would never be off me bike 🤣. For most people what you are suggesting is unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I think someone mentioned it to you already but the poster was talking about a politician who on the late late show mentioned how difficult it was to manage on a huge salary to run a few houses…beleive it was Padraig Flynn

apologies, i shouldnt have included that generality, but its probably many, particularly younger generations with or without young kids….

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Ye as stated above you clearly don't seem to be able to understand life from others perspective.

TBH I wouldn't have arranged my life that way in the first instance

This just stinks of entitlement. People now a days have to make sacrifices in where they live whether it be for financial (can't afford the urban/suburban town they want) or logistical reasons (they're job has moved to a different area of the country). What if the local GAA club has closed down as the demand isn't there and like a lot of others merge with another village 15km away (which is happening a lot in rural Ireland).

It seems that you had an exact plan for your entire life and no circumstances could ever change that could potentially impact you because you "pre planned" whereas others are simply idiots for struggling in life due to reasons that could be no fault of their own.

Anyway this has gone completely off topic and there's probably better threads to discuss this.

To answer the OP, no most aren't broke, some are doing very well, some are struggling but go into Dublin any evening even midweek and most bars and restaurants are full, suburbs flooded with 241 jeeps, Dublin airport at full capacity and 2 bed houses in Cabra with an asking price of 420 has bids currently at 560k.

The boom has well and truly been back for a number of years since COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭csirl

Its very easy for someone who has an expensive Tesla company car given to them by their employer to advocate that peiple dont buy their own cars and to give out about those who cant afford to get rid of their "unfriendly to the environment" 10 year old hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

• Advertisement

Are you asking how I do it personally or how people ought to do it? Personally I walk to the shop and give the cans back and buy something. As for people generally, I'm sure they can organise that themselves.

Escooters are a great invention, I generally use it as an extension of public transport. And yes e bikes are very cheap, a fraction of the cost of a car and even cheaper on bike to work scheme. More people should think seriously about this type of mobility to save time and money.

Regarding safety, yes, there is a risk posed by car drivers that should be factored in your decision and a key part of that is the type of road you'll be using with one. Most urban roads you're fine, but there's still car drivers going around using Instagram so have your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fierce bang of "I'm alright Jack" off these posts.

Fairplay. I can't cope with them generally.

The online shop is indeed a bit of a dark art in terms of what you get but once you get used to it you know instinctively how to work it.

If you decide to give it another go i would recommend as a general rule to use it to stock up on frozen, canned, dry goods and cleaning products. And use the favourite list, saves so much time. Personally I use the online bulk shop once a month. Then for meats or fresh vegetables I pick them up in the greengrocer or butcher on the day or day before I intend to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,855 ✭✭✭billyhead

In relation to the car debate, why do people need these huge SUV gas guzzlers taking up half the road? Unless you have 4-5 kids to transport around or you live in the country pulling trailers etc there's no need for them. Is it some kind of status symbol which to me is a lack of confidence or do people feel safer in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

Been reading this topic for a few days now and this comment above really jarred with me… "Completely effin broke. Earn good salary but only making ends meet."

I'm the polar opposite - earn a BANG average salary - always have. But, that's the career I chose (design & print). The wages just aren't great. However - before meeting my wife, I had my own gaff and no loans (other than mortgage). Always had plenty for myself. No new cars. No designer clothes. Do all my own DIY, etc. Bring a lunch to work. It all adds up.

That gaff is now sold and we (married, I'm 45) now live in an obscenely big house in the country. I say that - because it's just us 2. She earns a very decent wage. And we live like millionaires. Well, maybe not millionaires. LOL

WHY?

Because we have (a) a very VERY manageable mortgage and (b) no kids. Reading back across this thread - it seems that kids (and ALL the associated costs that they bring) and pissing money away on rent are the 2 big big money-drains.

And believe me… I'm VERY AWARE of how lucky I am to not have money worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

are we still debating cars, been at least 4 pages of it now?

Took the cargo bike to work today, hoping it's dry for kid pickup :pac:

Again you seem to be picking up a few suggestions I've made and stabbed yourself in the heart with it.

If people can't manage without their car fine i wish them well and hope they can afford it. I'm just saying that most can get a long without if they just put effort into planning things out.

Decisions that are well planned are usually superior in outcome, yes. Do you find that statement controversial? It would be considered common sense to most in my opinion.

…and again, you simply dont seem to understand the needs of others!

do you walk to the shops with your kids, in order to return your cans and to make your purchases, how do you do this, with also carrying your shopping?

yes these e devices are great inventions, but again, where does a household, whos probably already paying extremely high mortgages payments or rent, find the money to supply the whole household with such devices, and are these devices truly safe on irish roads? yes these devices are indeed generally cheaper than a car, but is it truly possible to achieve all household transport needs via such, and in a timely manner, so that all household members have adequate rest?

noting, some extremely serious, fatal accidents, have recently occurred on irish urban, well maintained roads on e devices!

• Advertisement

Yes I accept all of that and never stated otherwise.

Advertisement