Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2024 AH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭shockframe

Impressed with the Dutch tonight. Went full frontal from the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

The Dutch and the Turks are trying to play football. I don't know what the Brits are going to do when they have to face up to which ever one wins in the semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭archfi

Wou;dn't mind ET here

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

What a save by the Dutrch goalie

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Dutch hanging on here

Great block by Dumfries

NL v England!

Hoping for a Dutch win there because England are awful to watch.

Hard luck Turkiye, very entertaining side.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

So three former champions (and England) in the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

hard on Turkey , but decent game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Dutch Gold

• Advertisement

VVD will have Kane in his pocket

I see a lot of people say this is the worst international tournament they've seen, 2016 was worse than this.

Spain are new favourites to win the trophy with bookies

England v France final would be a fckin nightmare to watch

Either of them in the final, ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,616 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In FIFA Rankings…

France (#2) v Spain (#8)

England (#5) v Netherlands (#7)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

Itv is going with the sequence

Man-man-woman in post match commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The Dutch will take care of business in the semis.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

England finally have to play a tier 1 team before a final. Panic stations ready!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Turkiye were great this euros, unfortunate not to scare there they looked like they would every time they attacked. England should beat the Dutch but you never know. Hup Holland!

…>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I see Pickford isn’t liked on this thread. I find Bellingham insufferable as well, after he scored against Slovakia he roared who else smugly then did that celebration that got him fined. His general disposition is arrogance personified. Has an Irish passport out of convenience for himself as well. Plenty of knobs in the Portugal and England squads. Not often I’ll say this but I’m orange on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

These big football tournaments are becoming harder and harder to watch. Very boring games.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭shockframe

2010 World Cup was the nadir for me.

Though you could blame the ball which was like a kite in that event.

All things considered Euro 2024 is a strong contender.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah it's been going that way for years. I always thought it was because the players might be individually very talented but they don't spend enough time training together as a team compared to with their clubs, so the easiest solution was safe, but boring, tactics. International football is just like competitive testimonials

This is very much it. They are coached to a very specific way with their clubs. Think Mann City and Liverpool for example.

It’s almost impossible for players then to gel with the way the current clubs are coached.

I also think that come big tournaments in Summer time, the players are fcuked after a long season with not far off 70 games

A cohesive, fresh England team with proper manager will already have won a tournament in the last 6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Caquas

I can't believe how hard it is to communicate two simple points which are widely understood by people who you might be slower to accuse of ignorance.

Firstly, EURO204

is arguably the most lopsided any international knockout stage has ever been

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/euro-2024-knockouts-favourites-spain-france-england-b2570616.html#

Secondly, this problem arose from the system UEFA uses, not from a series of upset defeats (which could unbalance any seeding system). Of course I know the pots are designed to keep the best teams apart in the group stage. The problem is nothing is done to ensure the draw is balanced after the group stage (and well done to any underdog who upsets those plans!).

The result was that we had the real Final on Friday. The problem will be crystallised if Spain is beaten by under-performers like France or England who scraped through on penos after wasting two hours each of our lives (which even Saka's flash of brilliance could not redeem).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,679 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

UUm... the NFL and NBA don't have draws at all, let alone fix them.

They have seeded placings which almost sports do. Wimbledon is seeded. Darts us seeded. Snooker is seeded. Pretty any sport that has post-season playoffs uses seedings.

Euros is mo different. If a top.team finishes lower in their group, they're seeded lower.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Gusser09

England will win it out now. Leave them off. Its been dire. Probably wont watch much more of it.

You're not "communicating" your proposal very well, in the first instance because you initially raised the concerns because of the impact the loss of Germany would have on sponsorship markets. Is this a factor in how the draw should be re-balanced? So what was its relevance? It is not a factor in how the NFL approaches its seedings.

This is what you posted:
    "Why do the NFL and NBA fix their competitions to keep the strongest teams apart? The same reason they do anything- money."

Nope, it is not to do with money. The San Francisco 49ers and Dallas Cowboys are much bigger franchises than the Seattle Seahawks. The seeding has nothing to do with the size of the market the franchise plays in. The 49ers and the Cowboys cannot play each other in the Superbowl no matter if they are the best 2 teams in the land, or the biggest i.e. based on how much 'money' their markets would bring. Because they are locked into the same conference.
    And if the smaller Seattle Seahawks has a better regular reason record than the Cowboys, even if they both topped their divisions, it is the Seahawks who get the higher seeding. It is not re-drawn to take into account that the Cowboys are more popular or if they are the current Superbowl champions.

In the second instance, you haven't explained what would be the fair and transparent system by which the draw could be balanced after the group stage, and how that would have consistently avoid lop-sided draws. Simply looking at how many points a team gets in a group would not be reliable, because it could just mean the group has a tougher composition of teams.

The articles you linked certainly don't attempt to do so, and the NY Times calls attention to the complexity that UEFA are running an international competition in a short space of time, in a host nation, having to balance stadiums and accommodating international supporters to attend - which limits options to suddenly redraw things.

There are 16 teams in the UEFA playoffs, to be run off in 2 weeks.

The NFL for example had 14 teams in their playoffs, to be run off over almost a month (January 13 – February 11) with every match except the Superbowl as a home game for one of the teams involved. The NFL rankings are based over 17 regular season games.

Euros are different. The groups are seeded but not the knockout stages.

No problem with a team losing its seeding if it finishes lower in the group (e.g. France) but, as I will never tire of saying, the two best teams topped their groups and should never have met in the "quarter"-final, knocking out the hosts (and the largest market in Europe). That was because Germany was automatically put in Group 1 while Spain was randomly put in Group 2.

This won't happen again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yes it will, it has happened before and will happen again. Because nobody including yourself has come up with any real proposal for how it could be avoided, that could be transparently and consistently applied within a UEFA tournament. This is just hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,679 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's the quarter finals - theres always the possibility if something like that happening.

Germany and Spain weren't when the the top two teams coming into the tournament - so unless you're suggesting redoing the seedings every round, this is a random possibilty that sport throws up all the time.

It's the quarter finals - theres always the possibility if something like that happening

This has been mentioned about three times and the poster has ignored it every time

Like he's ignored the fact the article he posted in support of his point made no reference to sponsorship or indeed made any sort of complaint about the current system

Like he's ignored the fact it wasn't even written by an American as he claimed, but by an English journalist.

Like he's ignored that other tournaments work in effectively the same way (including Real Madrid v Man City in the Champions League quarters just this year). Like he's ignored that a big quarter-final draw may even get serious interest going.

Like he's ignored Germany wouldn't even be the biggest global draw. Like he's ignored that sponsorship isn't even done on a country-by-country basis - it's global sponsors for a global tournament.

Other than that though...

And arguably the biggest danger for the sponsors is how poor the tournament has been. Euro 2016 was pretty tame too as I recall. Too many countries happy to sit back, keep it tight, soak up pressure, and then hit on the counter if there's a chance

I think the last thing I want is spomsors having a say in who plays who.

The issue about teams being defensive is a tricky one to deal with.

It seems to be far easier to defend than attack. I think the sides are more evenly balanced at international level, and obviously don't have as much time together as at club level. There's an increasing number of mis-matches at club level but maybe the core issue is still there.

I don't know what would happen if okay was stretched more - say offside only applied in the final quarter of the pitch, or you had to have two players in the opposition half at all times.

These sound a bit radical and Americany though. Maybe it's best to let coaches work it out for themselves naturally

Post edited by archfi on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Took me a while to get that 😁 I’m ashamed to say

Nonsense - I repeatedly said that this quarter-final could’ve happened naturally my point is that it on this occasion it happened because of the system.

I didn’t ignore that the journalist was English because nobody mentioned it . But mea culpa! I assumed a journalist writing for the New York Times was an American. Obviously, if I knew he was English, I wouldn’t have trusted a word he wrote 😇🤣

If you think the global sponsors don’t care that Germany were knocked out in the quarter-finals, you understand absolutely nothing about money in sport. Of course they accept that sport throws up unexpected results but they won’t accept Systems that throw the best teams together in the quarter-final. Sponsors don’t mind if the games are crap so long as the viewership hold up.

So I think that's the fourth time you've ignored the fact that it was the quarter-finals of the Euros - this kind of draw happens. Cannot not happen in fact. It was not possible for France, Germany, England, Italy, Spain, Holland, Portugal and Belgium to all reach the semis.

And yes, it was mentioned that the journalist - whose nationality you made as a core point of your argument actually, telling us to "Educate yourself" by looking at what Americans, who know more about money and sport than anyone else - was not American but English.

The rest of your post is baseless nonsense which has been dealt with elsewhere. Your last sentence ("Sponsors don’t mind if the games are crap so long as the viewership hold up.") rather spectacularly misses my point which was that if tournaments continue to be poor, sponsorship will fall because interest will. Not like someone who knows everything about sponsorship in sport to miss that fairly obvious point.

And you continue to ignore that Germany aren't the biggest draw, that other sports (including the Champions League) work in the exact same way with no issues, that a big quarter-final is actually good for interest and sponsors, that the article you linked in support of your point made no reference at all to sponsorship and didn't even criticise the system.

Who gives a **** about the sponsors? Plenty of them knocking about.

The games haven't been great and there will be sponsors at the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

England and France were clear pre tournament favourites by the bookies. Then you had Germany Portugal and then spain. So it was not possible for all those 5 to reach the semis before the draw was made. It was only when the tournament started that Spain and Germany played the best. How is the system to know that the 3rd and 5th pre tournament favourites would actually play the best in the groups so to avoid them in the quaters.

What happens if france or England wake up and win their last two matches including hammering spain? It is a knee jerk reaction to say Spain and Germany was the real final as spain could get out played in the semis or final and then people will look back on the tournament totally different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think Spain could beat England handily if they perform as they have been, France could too but that would be 50 50 for me with England in a complete bore final.

Tonight's result who knows, France will probably just bore spain into submission.

I think the Dutch will give it a good lash tomorrow but can't see them beating England.

They're crappy enough games

Has to be said lineker is a great host

Ye he is a great host. Him and Shearer on MOTD are alwas good.

For tonight, i actually have a feeling you'll see a better, more attacking French side. I fancy them to beat Spain, only on a hunch. Mbappe is too good a player not to come good at some stage and you know come big games he turns up

They called it when England were playing badly which they usually do😁

There's a lot of fear around calling out England's poor play

They should be doing a lot better with the players that they have and that's always been the way with England

• Advertisement

Will the French finally wake up from their jammy and very boring slumber journey to the semis tonight?

Will they score an actual goal?

The world awaits…😴

Advertisement