Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's not about skin colour - I believe it's meant to depict perpetually angry middle aged or old men, complaining about everything (and as they are constantly angry, the caricature is that they would be red in the face most of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Shoog

I said, if gammons didn't walk this earth then I wouldn't use the term gammon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭yagan

On your last point about demographics I wouldn't take it as guaranteed that younger voters will be less insular than the older boomers. Labour and Libdems only picked up an extra percentage point each in this election whereas voters tend to get more conservative as they age. That middle aged bulge in England's demographics suggest that that conservative insularity will be around for another while yet.

It could be viewed that Blairs 43% vote in 97 became Johnson's 43% 22 years later.

On the gammon moniker I wouldn't ascribe specifically it to race, although in the Brexit era it does appear mostly white bald English males. We have our own Irish versions of that hand to mouth bad habit lifestyle and they'll be clogging up the hospitals for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I see that Charlatan Cameron has no interest anymore. Thought he was some big shot on the world stage.

He'll no doubt compose some "Memoir" about his last however months of soundbites

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It isn't remotely morally equivalent, no matter how hard you try to insist otherwise and it has the side-effect of negating or reducing actual racial prejudice in attempting to lump in what amounts to mockery of a specific type of red-faced bigot, with any kind of actual racism against BAME. Pretty shameful really.

Bigots should be mocked ruthlessly, including those whose rhetoric and similarly blushing anger can be seen on our own shores with the likes of Sammy Wilson; no redder Gammon on our shores really; but trying to frame this in terms of an absolutist position only reveals you as affecting superiority for cheap points scoring TBH. If you feel genuine empathy for the targets of bigotry, then don't worry yourself unduly for the terms of insult thrown at the bigot.

My touchstone is the Paradox of Tolerance: I feel no guilt, shame or moral anxiety that referring to the permanently outraged and angry as Gammons reflects on anything except their blush response - not their race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

References to blushing, going pale or being tanned are also references to skin colour, but nobody imagines that they're racist, do they? This one isn't either. It's a reference to the incessant unjustified outrage that characterises Faragism/brexitism (and indeed Trumpism) — they're always cross. The term stereotypes them as angry at loss of privilege; angry at loss of status; angry that their fantasies and delusions are not made reality for them; angry that others refuse to see the world as they do. Gammons are not gammon because their skin is white, but because their faces are constantly flushed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not. Fact is that most younger people who did deign to vote voted to remain in the EU. They tend to be concerned about things like inequality and climate change. If the Conservative party wants to grow, it will need to craft a narrative that appeals to these people and align that with Conservative values.

There's a long tradition in the UK of mocking people. It's where the trope of Napoleon being a short man came from. It's gas that the gammons who wail about the demise of English culture are happy to try to kill it themselves when it suits them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bingo. As always Peregrinus, you cut to the quick when it comes to the overall issue; or in this case, a non-issue reaching for false and affected indignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Seemingly boils down to - our mob have decided that this particular group of people are worthy of contempt, so behaviour that would otherwise be unacceptable is acceptable if directed towards them.

It's descending to the sewer-level of discourse that the likes of Farage love. If that's what people want to lower themselves to then knock yourselves out. But it's not something to be proud of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wish this site had a save function for posts like that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

If you insist on framing explanations of a harmless point of mockery of the permanently flustered as that of a "mob", and some tedious equivalence to actual racism, then you truly are revealing this as nothing more in an exercise in flexing superiority on your part. Perhaps conduct some reflection on your own moral centre before judging other's as being in the sewer; lofty perches aren't particularly admirable either.

And to be clear, others have tried framing this as racism against whites, so dispense with this charade on your part

But a voter bloc could be described as a mob. I was really despondent during the Bertie era because I was surrounded by family and friends who were very much of the property bubble mob.

In England that's a hard nub of insular reactionaries who think everything bad is imposed upon them and never as a consequence of their own actions.

Telling someone to reflect on their moral centre because then think childish name-calling is not something to brag about…….

We're not allowed to point out that Faragism and Trumpism are the politics of anger? That they confect anger and seek to incite anger in others? We're supposed to politely ignore this?

Why?

The logica end result of having the media controlled by half a dozen people and a dysfunctional voting system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Oh yay a culture wars argument.

I'm sure it will be insightful and riveting.

Question: where and when was I ever bragging? Specifically at what point did I gloat?

I made a passing comment-cum-joke about how some people appear to find it an offensive term … you're the one affecting moral outrage over what amounted to a by-the-way about the nature of, as referred to above, the Politics of Outrage. Again I point you to the Paradox of Tolerance here

So you say I was bragging when I wasn't, not in the slighest but you seemed ready to pounce all the same. Yes, I think you should consider your position and attempts to frame this as either morally equivalent (it's racist against whites!), or a launchpad to tut about sewer levels because we choose to meet the vulgar with vulgarity.

Kinda done here 'cos I don't believe you started this from good faith, but a desire to chide, and intentionally misread a small aside and you continue to affect superiority. As others would say, we're done here.

That's not what I've said at all - why strawman?

My point is that descending to the same level as them with pathetic childish name calling isn't the appropriate response.

It's amazing how many people are outraged by the idea that childish name-calling isn't the world's greatest behaviour.

In one way it reflects a triumph for the Farage's of the world - they've successfully pulled political discourse down to the depths that his ilk love to troll.

• Advertisement

The level of personalised opprobrium being thrown because I pointed out your less-than-ideal behaviour is something else.

Farage and his ilk can be roundly criticised without dropping to the level of stupid name calling. There's nothing in that statement that says they need to be tolerated - it just means that dropping to their level of idiotic discourse isn't the right response either.

But please - let's have another rant about my morals, or my lack of good faith, just because I don't think the way to tackle hate-mongerers is to descend to the same level as them.

I'm sorry, but informal political labels are a thing, and they have been for a long time — Provos, Blueshirts, Stickies, Tories, Whigs, Wets, Dries, Trots . . . the list is endless. And they're often an attempt to draw attention to the aspects of a political group that the group concerned would rather not have attention drawn to. I'm not sure why you'd think that Faragists or Brexiters should be exempt from this, or that the failure to exempt them is some kind of new low in politics.

I could see why a Faragist would think so, of course; it would be just another manifestation of his outrage at not getting special treatment. But why would you think this?

Gammony is definitely a lot easier to say than erythrocytosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭PommieBast

He came back into politics because his involvement with Greensill killed off business prospects. There is no way he would have accepted the compliance rules that comes with Lords membership otherwise.

IMO it’s more than a political label that describes their politics/position.

Despite the desperate denials, it’s very clearly a pejorative based on appearance and, in-part, skin colour which none of the “normal” political labels are. That’s the drop to a lower level.

We rightly condemn when Farage and his ilk behave in such a manner - why on earth would we want to drop our standards to the same level as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Shoog

Gammon is an identifiable subgroup. It is nothing like throwing out casual racist insults such as paki. Everyone can identify the type and it says nothing about white males as a whole.

All this outrage is pure performance - a bit gammon really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It's a but hard to take you seriously when the pejorative you have a problem with is applied solely due to how a person's color changes when they are outraged about something ridiculous, ie it's their own actions that cause them to be called a gammon. Next you will be saying we can't call people who have committed crimes criminals.

Decribing someone’s actions, politics or uniforms is a hell of a lot different than throwing a childish insult based on someone’s appearance and skin tone.

The mental gymnastics to try and justify acting like schoolyard bullies is really something.

It also says a hell of a lot that so many posters can’t even defend their behaviour without resorting to attacking the poster.

• Advertisement

Just for context gammony can apply to any political viewpoint. It's descriptive of the high blood pressure reaction in the visage of a an incited person. I've seen similar flushes from Green party types when their clock is questioned.

Advertisement