Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a football pre-season for a 15 year old boy

Options
  • 09-07-2024 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

hi

was wondering if you could recommend a soccer press on training schedule for a 15 year old boy? Thx something like a plan per day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ideally you should or he should have an aim or something he wants to get from the pre season and that should lead what the sessions will be about.

Does he have something he needs to work on/improve and you can tailor the sessions around that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

This is my beginner programme. Athletes of this age don't need anything specific. They need to develop a general base of strength in the basic movement patterns. If you have any Qs on the programme, feel free to ask here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭riddles

strength and conditioning and stamina speed etc - skills wise pretty good

That's still very general. Is there anything he is struggling in games that pre season sessions could be tailored to improve. Like I'm a rugby ref and my pre season is working a lot to get my speed better so I can get my positioning better. So lot of speed work to ensure I can get into better positions to make better decisions.

LLike what level is 15 year old playing and what level do they want to reach in the season about to start

S&C for youth athletes is supposed to be general

• Advertisement

You Can still have something you want to work on more. Like when I was playing rugby at that age and was in development squads I was told constantly by coaches I needed to be putting on weight/size so needed a very different programme to other players at my age.

Even At 15 there can be programmes more specific for players depending on what they need/want to achieve....

You didn't need a different programme, you needed an extra portion of dinner 😁

I worked for 4 years in one of the best schools strength and conditioning programmes in the country. Several current Irish rugby internationals as well as pro level at other sports came through it (not a brag for me but rather the phenomenal coach who I worked under).

Until kids were at senior level, essentially all of their S&C was the exact same. Learning basic weightlifting, callisthenics, running, plyos etc. The amount of variance in programming even at that senior level was very minor and shaped more around injury prevention (i.e more neck work for rugby players).

Until the base is formed, they are athletes first and rugby players second.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I'd be really cautious of all strength and conditioning for that age. If he is playing prem or league of Ireland could the club help out with some advice?

Also if he really wants this would be 100 percent checking the background of anyone saying anything to you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I train a u15 football team. Pre season will lots of ladder runs, shuttle runs, burpees, jumping squats and lunges, plank variations, sprints and lots of jogging.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement