Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

OK, a few weeks later - zero complaints. Product has been solid and I've ran into no major issues.

Minor gripes:

It's about 30 seconds behind traditional broadcast TV. Some SD channels should really be HD. Quality on some of the non-mainstream HD channels is only OK, for example Discovery. They should work with the broadcasters to source better streams. It can be done - Virgin Media One has outstanding picture quality for example.

For anyone curious, the platform Eir are using is from a company called Zattoo (link below in addition to a video from a few years ago). Eir made a good decision here on the device (Apple TV) and by working with a provider with experience.

https://thetvplatform.zattoo.com

With the closure of the music channels from Channel 4 (Box/4Music/Kerrang/Kiss/Magic) - the music section on Eir TV is now empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

why does RTÉ only rewind 2 minutes even when you have had channel on for ages?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 done123

Can some music fast channel be added to replace them or upgrade more4, E4 and Film4 to HD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭obi604

looking at getting eir broadband and eir tv

in regard to eir tv, I know its apple tv etc - are the remotes you get the flimsy apple ones (had them before and hated them) or are they proper old school remotes?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭obi604

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just joined Eir last week as had them call to the door with a very attractive 2 year price plan. basically BB & TV for €50 a month and first 3 months free.

Would like to know if the Apple TV box is kept after contract is up?

can the eir tv app be loaded onto other devices? eg onto a smart tv or a fire stick? am just asking this as I see people talk about it for multiroom viewing so if I can load it onto one of those, it will save me buying a new Apple TV box

they were off to a poor start when they turned off my sky broadband and never turned me on at their end. apparently they only did one of 2 tasks! Wife couldn't work all morning and I called after lunch when I got home. I was told (by someone who basically didn't seem to give a f*** ) that it would be fixed in about 24-48 hours. I kicked up a little stink and asked for customer complaints where to be fair the guy was very good to deal with and got it sorted in about 4 hours.

I have my Deco mesh plugged in and everything running through that, even the Apple TV box (despite being told that would only work through the Eir router).

I still have to set up prime, will look at that over the weekend, can't remember if they said it was 1 year free or the duration of the contract.

now they give you a home phone also. but mine won't work. I can receive calls, but can't make any, not even to 1901. I gave it a few days and called Monday. girl said she would update the router and it would sort it out. it didn't. next lad I called said he could see the issue was in the settings and he made the necessary changes. it didn't work. third lady didn't seem to understand the issue at all, till I got her to phone my landline and she heard me answer. then I picked up the house phone and held it to my mobile as I tried to dial 1901 and she could hear "your call cannot be completed as dialled, please check the number and try again". it's been sent to engineers to fix but is still not working. anyone else experience this and if so, do you know how it got fixed? also, there is terrible static on the line.

by the way, mine is all set up through Fibre to the home.

Answers below…

"Would like to know if the Apple TV box is kept after contract is up?"

No, you have to return it.

"can the eir tv app be loaded onto other devices?"

You can load it onto any Apple TV on your home network. No sure about Android - but it also works in a browser on a PC/Mac. You can buy refurbised Apple TV boxes from the Eir store cheaply.

"I have my Deco mesh plugged in and everything running through that, even the Apple TV box (despite being told that would only work through the Eir router)."

Correct. It does not need the Eir router, just needs to be on their broadand.

"I still have to set up prime, will look at that over the weekend"

When setting up Prime (one time task), watch for blocked web browser popups - this caught me out first time.

"now they give you a home phone also. but mine won't work."

No idea about phone. I have a line and a number, never used it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭kooga

just to double check and clarify

I’m an eir customer and still have evision - if I order the apple refurb box for €59.99 can download the eir tv app and use via Wi-Fi as a second box as multi room . I assume I can’t record on it ? Thank you in advance .

• Advertisement

I doubt that would work. Expect you’ll have to transfer to Eir TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

can the eir tv app be loaded onto other devices? 

Yes, I have it on my Android tablet and you can watch on TV via Chromecast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They won't give you both eVision and EirTV simultaneously. I switched recently and they cut the eVision signal about two days before the Apple TV box arrived.

yea I was able to download app on my iPhone

Can’t find tv app for it (I have Sony google tv)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sirbidders

was using (and paying for) eir tv via 5G while waiting for my fibre install. Stopped working. Told that it had to be a wired connection to the Apple TV box. Told them I’d always used WiFi and response from tech assist was no you haven’t. Followed their comment up with “well it’s like Netflix, you can’t just go to someone else’s house and use your Netflix account”. Works well now again, on WiFi, bit of a pain though that the bbc channels are blocked on phone app. Maybe I should have my phone plugged in to my router……. 🤦🤦🤣🤣

at the Netflix point I laughed hysterically at the agent. Don’t like doing it but their customer service is just make **** up till someone accepts something

call me dumb, but how do you plug an Apple TV box into a router to make it a wired connection? is there an invisible ethernet socket somewhere that I cannot see 🤣

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In fact some Apple TV boxes do have an Ethernet socket - the more expensive one that retails at €189, not the cheaper one that retails at €169. I think the points moot though because eir’s own website says you can connect via WiFi.

https://www.eir.ie/helpandsupport/eirtv/eir-tv-and-apple-tv/setting-up-apple-tv/

There was some confusion here. By "wired" they mean on fibre broadband, not mobile.

When I signed up recently, they sent an Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) - the WiFi only version of this. Not a big deal, vast majority of people will use these over WiFi anyways.

no no jdextra, explicitly told that the cable had to be plugged into the box for the eir tv app to work. I understand how these things work. My point was that the staff in eir tech services did not

• Advertisement

IMO eir have the best product with regard broadband and probable non sky tv but it’s unfortunate they are incredibly difficult to deal with as regard all of their services when it comes to customer care. I have always been aware it worked through WiFi as always used via WiFi apart from when moved and house and was using over a 5G connection waiting for my fibre install which took 7 months. It worked over 5G for 5 of those 7 months

lol, I didn't get a box like that from them last week 🤣

yeah I’ve mine a few years at this stage 👍 they are great to be fair

The support you get depends, I phone support to ask can you use my firestick in the kitchen, the guy was very helpful. told me to use the brower go to website tv.eir.ie and use my log in credential, it work like my phone away from home. It slow but does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Yeah, I often used my apple TV over GoMo. I just set the hotspot credentials to be the same as my home WiFi, never had a problem. The UK Channels are not blocked on the phone app (or shouldn't be). Some programs, mainly sport, are blocked even on Irish Channels, for rights reasons. Hence why I used the AppleTV on GoMo.

Some additional info …

"Would like to know if the Apple TV box is kept after contract is up?"

If you dont return it they charge for it. (Used to be €50.)

"can the eir tv app be loaded onto other devices?"

On a browser no app is required, just log in to eir.

There are separate apps for mobiles (Android/Apple) and AppleTV. Mobile devices must be registered and I am limited to 3. AFAIK there is no app for any smart tv or a fire stick.

"I still have to set up prime, will look at that over the weekend, can't remember if they said it was 1 year free or the duration of the contract."

When I got eirTV, over 3 years ago, it was supposed to be only for a year. I still have it. (This might be to compensate for the closure of Eir Sports. I don't know.)

"now they give you a home phone also. but mine won't work."

You may have to pay extra for this, depending on your package. It works fine, I use it with cordless phones. (Less so since support for VoWiFi was added to Pixel phones.)

Static on the line normally suggests a wiring issue, at your end. Did you try plugging a phone directly into the eir Router? If not, try doing this, if necessary temporarily removing/replacing the Deco Mesh. If it now works the issue is with the Deco Mesh. It may well be a case of simply changing the VoIP/SIP settings. (This would make sense, if the support guy could see the wrong settings. It is unlikely he could remotely update these on a non-eir router.)

I don't know where you'll get the correct VoIP settings. A good engineering contact in eir would be your best bet. Failing that, try and get through to eir technical support. Seems this might not be so easy, see this thread.

Post edited by NewClareman on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Did not they used to let you keep the Apple TV box provided you’d stuck with your contract a certain length of time - think it was two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

After 2 years you get to keep the apple box. If you cancel after one year they charge you €100 if you want to keep it.

• Advertisement

Most modern TV's can control the AppleTV box, using their own remote. I use this approach on three different TV's (LG/Samsung/Philips) and it works really well.

Advertisement