Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options
1878889909193»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

That was parlance who mentioned scores being reduced in a 10 hole comp vs the same non counting comp last year.

In a non counting comp, players tend to have higher scores. Mostly as the pressure is off and they know it doesn't affect their handicap. They are also usually using forward tees which might not be rated and have placing/cleaning everywhere. This makes it much easier to score.

There is also a small cohort who "protect" their handicap in counting comps. When they realise a good score is likely they pull the handbrake with a few holes left to have a score that is not good enough to appear on their record. Not happy that their score will win a big comp or 1st place so they are just bandits and everyone despises it.

When a comp is counting it's "real" golf on proper tees with no placing.

Typically most non-counting golf is during winter time anyway. Being able to have 10-17 holes counting is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

In a non counting comp, players tend to have higher scores. Mostly as the pressure is off and they know it doesn't affect their handicap.

I don't buy that at all. a comp is a comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

True for ya.I try my damnedest every comp.Fact i am useless doesnt srop me trying😁

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

my club use masterscoreboard and it doesn't have much functionality for this as far as i can see. does some stats for your last 5 rounds only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

not true, Handicapmaster gives stats for every hole along with your best and worst on each hole

• Advertisement

just look under the mygolf section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Definitely not. I don't care when it's not counting

yes but it only shows "Displaying records covering last 1 month (or last 5 competitions processed)." I don't see an option for any analysis for a bigger sample than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

That must be something set by your club. Mine says "Displaying records covering last 9 months (or last 15 competitions processed)."

yeh that makes sense because there doesn't seem to be anyway of changing the setting at my end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Quahog217

Is there any adjustment in WHS for weather conditions? Had 34pts on Saturday in a mini hurricane - definitely 3/4 shots harder than it would normally be and I actually went up in handicap. I know I must have knocked out a better score but it seems pointless to play in bad weather now if this is the case.

that is decided by your club, you can go back as far as 24 months in the setup settings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

There is a thing called PCC now, which is similar to the old CSS, it can adjust the difficulty from -1 to +3 shots (so 1 shot easier to 3 shots harder).

It's not driven by weather but by scoring, and it's tricky to find the actual calculation anywhere. I know they changed the calc in the last year or so to make them be applied more often

It should be clear on the app if you look at the round to see if there is a PCC applied. In essence, a PCC of 2 would turn your 34 point round into the equivalent of a 36 point round.

Perfect thank you, is done automatically or by your club?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's done automatically.

It's quite conservative too, I think scores need to be really obviously abnormal for it to apply a PCC other than 0. I have 29 scores on my record for this year and 27 of them have a PCC of 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

Really interesting thanks. Had a look at Corballis with BGS this year as that’s the hardest conditions I recall playing in and sure enough a PCC of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I think there needs to be a

Min % of cat 1/2 players to have played before it can be applied.

At least that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

I played a SC this year and had a PCC of -1, thought I had played well…

Does anyone know exactly how PCC is applied to a score? Is it literally just taken off / added onto the differential?

I played yesterday and the PCC is showing as -1. Am I right in saying that this means the scores were higher than usual?

I shot 11 over through 9 (was a 9 hole comp). This ended up giving me an overall score differential of 25.5. I'm a bit confused as to how it arrives at the this differential from a 9 hole score. Can anyone help me understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This is the standard 18 hole calc:

(113 / Slope Rating) x (Adjusted Gross Score - Course Rating - PCC adjustment)

And I've attached a doc here that shows the 9-hole score details

Forgetting PCC for a moment, the system will take any 9-17 hole and mark it up to 18. Your score for the holes completed + calculated score for your handicap on a course of standard difficulty using the remaing holes.

Say your +11 through 9 was a real "+12" differential relative to the course/slope. An additional 13.5 is applied for the remaining 9 holes based on your handicap. Note there is no visibility of this calculation from GI/WHS.

If you had a "+5" differential on the front 9 at the same handicap, the remaining 13.5 would still apply for the missing holes and again you'd have no visibility just a final overall differential.

PCC in theory should be clear as it is supposedly determined based on standard deviation in expected scoring on a given day for the specific course/tees. However, I think it's a bit murky. We had a medal comp last week and more than 30% of the field shot par or better. Net -3 wouldn't make the top ten. It's a big outlier in our medal comps and the course played very easy that day. Fully expected a PCC adjustment but nothing happened

Yea, so am I right in thinking that by and large playing 9 hole comps will see your handicap move slower as at least half of your score differential is going to be based on an average for your handicap, and not at all related to how you actually played the 9 holes you did play.

The Golf Ireland app really should show exactly how a given differential was calculated.

Also confused about PCC because I don't think the scores last night were unusual compared to weeks with PCC of 0.

Not necessarily but the differential will vary by how hard or difficult the course was and the number of holes played. You can play 9-17 holes to your hearts' content. However, if you go to play competitions/opens then you might not be eligible to win prizes. Many clubs will say you must have a minimum number of counting (18 hole) comps on your record and fully developed index. The goal of the WHS here is to try to get more people to have handicaps and also to have more scores on people's record. In theory the more scores on your record, the more accurate and up-to-date it should be relative to how you're playing.

I don't think GI will ever show this differential calculation or the logic behind it. You can figure it out by calculating the 9 hole differential as the 9 hole courses will have a slope/rating and then subtracting the difference to the overall differential. Unfortunately for 10-17 hole cards you don't have a slope/rating for those holes so you can't subtract it.

The PCC calculation is shrouded in mystery because it's considered proprietary and won't be published. You could have half the field shooting the lights out and the last 20% being miles off their handicap range. It's supposed to all balance out but in the absence of any transparency, it's hard to know. All I can say is I have never seen so many net 68 or better returns in a medal but no PCC on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

For anyone interested the score differential calculation for a 9 hole round is:

(113/Slope)(AGS-CR)+(HI x .52 + 1.2)

Advertisement