Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,929 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think we often had those wides and missed chances but the difference was Galway were not good enough to punish us whereas Cork sent every mistake over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

The most amount of wides i remember Limerick hitting was this year against Waterford. Think they had 10 after 15 minutes or something. Waterford should have been beaten by ht. That was not the norm though. And it was a dreadful wet day.

But on big days in Croke Park or in Munster in the last 6 years (bar that Waterford game ) i dont recall so many poor wides and spurned goal chances. And your right Cork punished this profligacy got so many points from far out (Daltons three) and near the sideline that on another day would not go over as they were low perecentage shots. But they did on the day that mattered most so hats off to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

One of the best games I can remember.

Cork V Dublin in 2013 was phenomenal too, until Ryan Dwyer got sent off. 2013 was a funny season, I always felt that Dublin team could have beaten Cork and that Galvin robbed Cork by playing for the draw. No questions about the replay though, Clare won it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Clare were by far the better team in the drawn game aswell. JBM was very magnanimous and accurate in interviews after the games. He said Clare were abit better both days. Great games. Seanus Harnedy was outstanding in the 2nd game. Kept Cork in it

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

They hit a load of wides in the 2018 final also. Kept Galway in it when they should have been out of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭C__MC

On 2013 the Anthony Nash strike from a penalty free was utterly madness, he was literally on the goal line before be hit it. I forgot cork missed a penalty in the drawn game. Pa cronin goal was out of this world. Indeed it was well and truly the days before and s and c, all the clare forwards were extremely light. Where did conor mc grath ever go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

That was the weight of history on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭shockframe

S+C was there well before that. Kilkenny were the early adopters and Tipp followed suit leading to the classic in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

McGrath had alot of injury issues, think it was his hips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Bot1

Interestingly the Clare game in the Pairc was a 'must win' and yet Clare came out on top in a thriller!

Now, I know the red card had a huge impact but there is no doubt that Clare have the players to hurt Cork!

I'm hoping that Cork can bring the same pace and savage intensity that they did on Sunday and I think it'll be too much for Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

The red card was huge alright, the game was in the balance before that (and it was a good game too). The big questions are whether Cork can deliver again, and whether Clare will do what they're capable of. Nothing between the two as far as I'm concerned, and hopefully another good game

Oh I don't think every time Cork needs to "bring it" they actually do but I definitely think limp wins against much weaker teams makes them an "up and down team".

Technically though the game against Clare wasn't must win because they lost and survived.

The Waterford game is the only one where you would really question their performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Bot1

True!

You'd also think it can be used to focus them mentally, as they have lost to Clare already.

50/50 game for me.

Do Clare have another gear that they haven't shown yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Not so much another gear but they have to play for longer the way they have played to date in certain games. Whether they can or not will decide the final I think. It will be very hard to see cork play as well as they did against Limerick again but, unless Clare play at their higher level for longer, then Cork won't need to hit the same heights as the last day. The inconsistency of this Clare team is what drives us, as supporters, mad but equally it's what makes them so exciting to watch when they do turn it on!

Based on that inconsistency and Cork having beaten Limerick twice this year I think it's fair that Cork are the bookies favourites. That will count for nothing on the day though. It has the ingredients to be another great final like the drawn game in 2013 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭slegs

Limerick bear Clare twice, Cork beat Limerick twice and Clare beat Cork. I think all that tells you is just how close all the teams in Munster are bar maybe Tipp this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Montys return

They had 10 wides in the first half against Clare in Ennis, and the opening exchanges against Tipp this year was marked by poor wides.

Been a theme all year for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Limerick had a phenomenal amount of wides against Kilkenny in 2019. I think in the 20s . Kiely referenced it at the time and I think the absolute shoot on sight was slightly adjusted from then. It's been their achilles heel . Tom Morrissey always misses the easy ones and gets the hard ones. Hegarty hits an 'unforgivable ' one every so often. Adam English and O Brien, O Connor and Hegarty ,Morrissey all had very poor wides

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

It's a free flowing team against a team who make it a real battle so it could be fun.

Will probably be very close with the only variable I can see changing that is with two teams who are not used to finals the likelihood of one choking goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Were you confident of the 5 in a row at start of the year breezy? I couldn't see limerick being beaten in croke parktbh.

• Advertisement

Too many years of being a Limerick fan means I'm never confident. Was expecting to get out of Munster but surprised to win it again.

I certainly believed we were favourites to win the All Ireland and thought it would be just as hard as the last two seasons where people forget were were only a few points from gone both years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It's for this reason I think Limerick will win the AI next year and at least another in the next few. They'll be laser focused and I can't see them missing those chances again. Best chance to defeat Limerick next year will be Munster.

I can see the winner's from this year not even making it out of Munster next year TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Don't think so, Cork beat them twice this season, and with the monkey off their back and better youngsters coming through, they'll be even better. Limerick simply don't have the players coming through. Limerick "doubling down" simply won't be enough.

It was only a matter of time before Cork figured them out, and could play around them and nullify their physical advantage. We're at the point now, Limerick are clearly struggling with the pace and speed of the Cork running game, and as their over sized players get older, Cork will start to burn them all over the field regularly. Limerick simply don't have that speed in their locker.

As I said a few years ago, this was coming down the road, everyone laughed. Everyone has adopted the KK/Limerick approach, now the question for most counties is how will they deal with the pace, speed and technical interplay of the Cork game, as they go from strenght to strenght. Most counties are lightyears behind Cork as "stickmen", including Kilkenny, and Cork will go on to dominate for a period. For how long, who knows? But they've a conveyour belt of silky technical hurlers coming through at the minute, with no other county coming close in player production.

I've said this for a few years, most here could at least vouch for that, it was only a matter of time before this bouyant Cork team broke through. And they will hammer Clare, make no mistake about it! Hurlings heavyweights are about to re-emerge from their slumber! And it's about time too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

People shouldn't forget also, in the last couple of years Limerick beat Cork in close games. But there were periods of each game, where Cork burned them in bursts, but couldn't sustain that standard for 70 minutes. This win over Limerick shouldn't be a surprise, Cork have now put it all together finally, and can sustain their game for the 70 minutes. The rest are in a bit of trouble going forward imo, starting with Clare in a couple of weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Exactly , could not agree more with you , Cork can do it for 70 minutes now

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

I think a lot of Limerick people got side tracked , not much notice taken of the defeat in Cork , what was circulating around was , Limerick would be a different animal in Croke park . Cork had other ideas . I have no doubt Cork will be champions for 24 , looking forward to 25 , hoping Limerick will bounce back

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Dannymole22

While thinking we very well could beat Cork I knew last Sunday could have been anyone's game, Cork are quality to be fair. Every other Limerick fan I spoke to and myself included was worried about having to play Cork again once you could see the lay out of the All Ireland series after the provincials.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Cork's game plan is unsustainable and their subs are weak.

You won't be able to delete your posts after a day I think it is which could be very embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

I genuinely love these crystal ball takes 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

No, but they can do it for longer spells in a match, long enough to make it count.

Advertisement