Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The premise and world building of a lot of these poor 90/00's sci-fis were good which is why you often see them become successful as anime or graphic novel where acting, sets and graphics are not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Great, will give it a blast, thanks for that. Got to fill the time before more SNW, having watched both seasons a criminal amount of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

First few episodes were enjoyable but felt very generic/star warsy. It becomes more of a "Trek" show as time goes on.

I got a bit bored with it mostly due to the kids show element but was really impressed how well the were able to relay the overall morals of Star Trek to a young audience.

Gwyn is an excellent character and really stood out from the start ( no surprise now I know she is Yellowjackets and Fallout's Ella Purnell)

Zero is very good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I think I want to preserve my memories of that so won't watch it. I think it was one of the sci-fi series that used to be on late nights on Network 2, even Stargate was relegated to that block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Loved Final Conflict at the time, think last season went a bit stupid - only 20 years ago it finished, might still hold up today

I really want to rewatch the First Wave. I remember it being interesting but then I was 12 or so watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone else watch this guy? ,

I find them really interesting and good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shoot, yeah. Remember the days when if a show (often Sci-Fi) wasn't working they just completely re-jigged the premise. Buck Rogers, the original BSG...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

BSG was working do but was cancelled far too soon. Could have been huge.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

BSG disappeared up its own arse in the last few seasons with that final five mythical nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I think they're referring to the original of the species of BSG … but agreed on the remake … and I couldn't get into Caprica. 🤮

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not the thread for it, but never really bought this antipathy towards the last season's dip into outright supernatural intervention; it was there from the off & not that coy about it either when one watches Season 1+ with retrospective eyes. The show's plotting often hinged on functional divine intervention, various visions and repeated suggestions that god or the gods had a hand in everything. Starbuck's fate was a little … eh a bit too wishy-washy but nothing ever happened that I'd completely hold against what was still a strong show.

I wonder if that threatened Sam Esmail sequel is still happening; kinda dropped out of the scuttlebutt a while back.

There was always an element of it but it got dialled up to eleven in the end and it put me off

And there it goes, the last TOS film. Undiscovered Country knocked off the list and hey you know? It was a better film than Wrath of Khan and the apex of the series. There's a hair's breadth between them such that either film could stand tallest & not seem out of place but on balance and in the wake of this little marathon, VI just sat with me better as the more complete vehicle; everything just came together much better and I think I preferred Christopher Plummer's Shakespeare-quoting villain than Khan & Ricardo Montalbán's pecks. At least Chang and Kirk met and traded a few barbs; it was always a bit lacking that Khan and Kirk never actually shared a scene. While the rest of the cast felt like they got at least one moment to shine (bar Chekov perhaps, he seemed to be the comedy character this time around)

The ending was a bit pat and convenient, but then the intent was to give the Enterprise crew one more chance to save the day, let the crew fly off into the sunset & retirement. They just about got away with it in the end, the saggy tummies and greying templates loudly advertising just how past their peak these actors & characters were - but this series showed that you can do a "legacy sequel" with a degree of dignity; wish Hollywood remembered how it's done. These films couldn't even boast top-tier production talent, they were just competently made by reliable professionals (and William Shatner).

Shame we never saw a Captain Sulu show, 'cos there was potential written all over it - but I guess at that stage the TNG generation was in the ascendancy and the focus of the series; a quaint notiion that the franchise wanted to move forward instead of sticking with "the past".

Truth be told I've never actually watched Generations or Insurrection in their entirety and not inclined to try; I'm weird (in general but hey-ho) in that I saw the TOS films before I got a chance to watch the 1960s show so for me, Trek started with watching these films with their varied and wide ranging set of tones. Eventually one of the terrestrial stations aired TOS and it was such a weird gear-shift from what I technically grew up with; and for sure watching these films with middled-aged eyes revealed a richer set of themes than I noticed before. It really does show that what one brings into a movie can often dictate what you get out of them.

Relatively speaking the last two TNG films aren't as bad as the used to be. Faint praise though.

If I had a closer emotional tie to TNG I'd probably dip in; but TBH knowing what a sloppy coda to Kirk's story Generations was, I also wanna drop out of the TOS movies with a cleaner taste in the mouth. Insurrections I'm avoiding because I hate the whole "we reject technology! Come see our waterwheel" Gen X hippy storylines.

Oh and it needs to be said, even if it's preaching to the choir here: bloody 'ell but it's easy to forget how absolutely phenomenal Leonard Nimoy was in playing Spock. The man just exuded a steady, deadpan dignity & charisma that simply hasn't existed since then. Many have tried but just got the recipe wrong; some like Blalock's Vulcan too emotionally constipated and dead behind the eyes, while Quinto's Spock had way too much rage informing his performance. Nimoy was just … ach, it was chef's kiss stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think Peck comes pretty close to capturing what Nimoy brought to the role.

Agreed: and while I was initially impressed with Quinto in terms of the physicality, it was obvious as time went out his baseline was "I am píssed off and barely holding it together" - and that was just all sorts of wrong, reboot or not. Again it speaks to this myopia when it comes to playing Vulcans; actors either projecting utter vacant performances, or constipated repressed emotion.

• Advertisement

The writers are screwing him though with stupid love interest and comedy storylines.

Blalock and Russ were both good with what is a hard task. All Vulcans just end up coming across as the same.

Also Generations is better than the stick it gets. Insurrection is like a throwaway mid season episode that somehow became a movie.

Oof, I dunno: I accept Blalock had to work under lesser scripts than other Trek actors, but nor did she have the range or ability to at least bring something of her own to the role. It was generic, stilted Vulcan start to finish, while the less said about the obvious pandering in the first place, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭eadrom

@pixelburp
    I saw the TOS films before I got a chance to watch the 1960s show

Same as that, and the first time I saw TOS I thought it was a cheap comedy-parody of the films I'd seen 🙈; I was waiting for the punchlines and very confused at how serious they were acting around these foam rocks and in their cheap colourful costumes 😅.

I was very young at the time though.

Aye, though my own immediate reaction at the time was initial confusion about where Scotty was in this show, cos I couldn't see anyone fat with a moustache among the crew 🤣

I still can't get my head around those two being the same actor.

TOS is all over the place too as a lot of the world building hasn't been done yet.

Maybe it's just that I saw the films first, but I think Doohan looked better with the moustache and some weight: certainly made him more visually distinct.

TOS is up there with things like the really early Bonds or 1960s Doctor Who where honestly, I stay well clear 'cos I know those formative iterations are just not gonna hold up against what became the franchise. Too much spitballing and a really vague or thinly defined sense of self at times. The 1979 film and TNG was the point I think Star Trek "became" what we think of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Jaysus, I can only guess at how confusing it would be to grow up with the TOS movies and only see TOS afterwards, given, as you point out, they were having a bit of craic in the movies and nothing in the series. 🥴

In the early 70's, I was but a wee child watching TOS on RTE, (no RTE1 or RTE2 then) on the black and white TV (walking 20 miles uphill both ways, 😏 etc., etc.) so at least I got to see them in the right order. It also means I can't stand the upscaled FX that were inflicted on TOS in recent years. I just find it very distracting as I know it's not right when I see it.

I hoped around between TNG and TOS on Sky in the early 90s. Watching seasons of TNG for months then switching to a few months of TOS was weird. I didn't appreciate it at the time but there's still good entertainment in TOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭eadrom

RTE2

NETWORK
    NETWORK
    NETWORK
    NETWORK
    NETWORK2

Although it wasn't so much that they were acting too serious compared to the movies, it was that — looking at the production quality — I was convinced that it must be a comedy sketch spoofing the films I'd seen. I recognised the names and some of the gadgets etc, but LOL — look at that foam rock! Those costumes!! …wait, where's the jokes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh god dammit. Now the Network 2 ident animation is all I can think of :P

Advertisement