Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Whether directed towards Nigel Farage or Pearse Doherty, it doesn't change how it reflects on those who use the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭yagan

You could say "flushed" too in particular instances, but gammony is more accurate when a person's recurring stance is belligerence.

Call it a hue of politics if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

One could also , referring to the colour / blush of outrage, say "Livid " which accurately describes it , and also the colour of or lividity of the skin .

That does not apply to any race as any person of colour can portray a livid colour also .

Of course the colloquial is Gammon.

I don't agree with black and white it's the same as descending to racist language .

It is discussing appearance as others discuss" blue or pink haired lefties" .

As referenced to a group of Faragists , maybe or may not be unfair .

I think it describes at least 3 of them and their blustery shouty hypertensive demeanour.

Whether it should be used in serious discussion to describe their entire political discourse , am on the fence, but don't think this group are particularly worthy of much defence , given the things they have said themselves and that they say they stand for

It's the same as calling certain groups rednecks , which conjures a different subset again and ones who would not really be worth defending or discussing either .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just continue with your bad faith argument knowing full well what you are accusing everyone of isn't actually what they are doing.

Also since attacking the poster is against forum rules you should go ahead and report any that have done that...... Although I'll bet your interpretation of "attacking" is really just others mocking your own opinions and posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There was a time 'gammon' would probably have been banned on this forum - the current banned list, not updated in a decade, still includes sheeple, crusties, teabaggers (at the time kind of equivalent to gammon but for 2010/11 hardcore Republicans), ZanuFF (jeez, that one brings back memories), zionazis.

So you could argue gammon should be treated the same way - but ultimately the current mods make the decisions and seem to prefer a lighter set of regulations than previously. Probably not worth 40 posts of debate over (I realise I've added to it).

Far more fun things going on - black rod has been refused entry, various doors have been knocked on in ceremonial dress, a man has had to be dragged to the speakers chair because his role is at high risk of beheading etc

Lets face it, their system is entertaining if nothing else !

No bad faith on my part - despite the number disingenuous accusations from posters who really want to act the schoolyard bully and silence any hint of dissent.

In the kindest possible interpretation, it's mocking someone based on their appearance. No amount of "oh that's not what we really mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge" bluster changes that.

For the past number of years we've seen the Conservatives doing their best to earn the moniker of "the nasty party." It clearly hasn't dawned on some that the way to combat that isn't to also try and be nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think the Pointless sword is the perfect symbol of how stupid this all is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

For me, it was driving a crown through the centre of London in a car.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Is this for the British people or just to keep the monarchy involved ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And as you probably note yourself from living there, it's that kind of sense of "tradition" that is both the UK's singular cultural appeal (no escaping the reality that all that stupid pomp is a massive money spinner), yet also it's biggest socio-political crutch. No more than America's slow slide into deification of its own founding fathers & documents, the UK will never reform while all its institutions are seen as part of some borderline mythical whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

@ancapailldorcha "No. What's keeping them together is FPTP. Splitting into two would mean a rump Tory party and some sort of 21st century BUF obsessed with nonsense. Labour would just win with no effort in this scenario and we all know it."

Yes, FPTP leads to strange bedfellows but my take would be that at this stage the Conservative Party is so divided and so damaged from the past 14 years that it's the perfect time for them to either push out the corrupt and racist elements of the party, driving them towards their natural home with the other nutjob in Reform/UKIP (or to split from them if the official membership can't be separated from them).

With the Conservative party as it currently stands, Starmer's Labour would have to either be colossally unlucky or monumentously stupid to not win a second term. The bar is so low that simply being seen to be a safe pair of hands for the next four years should be enough to win them another term.

That gives a reformed (or new) centre right conservative party 8 years to win over the (admittedly far less vocal) but far larger element of the Conservative party's vote base who recognise that Johnson / Mone / Mogg et al are crooks and abhor the cruel racist bile that Patel comes out with but who have, until this election, held their nose and voted for them anyway through fear of / disagreement to the "tax and spend" reputation of Labour. I suspect they'd be in with a good shout of getting proven vote winners like Rory Stewart (whose profile has grown massively since leaving the party) to return to the fold too.

In short, without a purge of the criminal, incompetent and racist elements of the Conservative party, I think they're doomed. The old adage that people become more conservative as they age is becoming less of a truism in my opinion. The vast majority of Millennials and Gen Z simply won't stand for bigotry, racism, sexism or homophobia and the boomers who push those vile agendas within the Conservative Party will almost all be dead before the party has another realistic chance of winning a majority…

Maybe I'm being naive but if we look at vote share from this election, it's very hard to argue that even half of the 6.8 million people who voted for the Conservatives are racist fools who support the "wrong un" side of the party. At a conservative guesstimate, let's say a renewed party would hold 4m of those votes. With such an emphasis on tactical voting to "get the tories out" in this election, it's even hard to argue that all 4m odd voting Reform fall into that category either. Perhaps another 500k to 1m of those votes could be won back by a new or reformed, sane Conservative party.

A large part of the 3.5m votes cast for the Lib Dems would be up for grabs as it's safe to say that most of that number were votes against the government than in favour of a party who couldn't hope to be anything more than a junior opposition party in the next parliament.

That comes to around 7m votes. Add in the millions of conservative voters who simply didn't vote this time in a historically low turnout election (i.e. a lot of the 14m who voted for Boris didn't turn out for Sunak) and even if they jettison 40% of the voters who supported them this year in 2024 (which I think is a high estimate), a renewed Conservative party could well be contenders for power again in 2032 (by which time Labour will the party facing the "too long in power" vote).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To be fair, I don't think the monarchy is the UK's biggest problem. The Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway are all monarchies. It doesn't exactly look great when you've the masses literally huddling together for warmth in some regions while money is spent on a pageant for an elderly man getting his first job. There's nothing inherent in monarchy that obstructs voting reform and re-imagining the upper House of Parliament.

My point stands, though. If they split, it's game over for either faction. At some point in the future, they will reinvent themselves and be back as they were with Thatcher and Cameron.

I think the adage about people becoming more conservative with age hinges on two assumptions. The first is that people become wealthier with age. This clearly isn't happening a lot of the time. The second is that what's liberal or left wing now may be the common position across the board in a decade or two. Gay marriage was controversial here a decade ago and now nobody is campaigning to overturn it.

The Conservatives' inevitably re-invigoration will involve purging the racists or, more likely, sweeping them under the rug and keeping them out of the way when Labour become toxic as usually happens to any party governing for a significant period of time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think we're broadly in agreement: the Conservatives need a purge. I don't know who it will be that'll lead the charge but a "take back control" movement within the party seems inevitable. It'll take a serious drive to recruit more party members to out-vote the current misalignment between the party and the vote but we might get a good idea of who'll be leading that charge when we see that drive begin.

If I had a vote over there, I'd still probably be voting Labour but it is a fascinating soap-opera to observe!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Instead of Gammon, we could call them Meldrews.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 19,269 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Has to be one of the most useless politicians ever to get into the game.

Unbelievable amount of damage that git has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭yagan

I can't help but feel that the last true conservative PM was May, and everyone since then has been a brexit opportunist or fanatic.

I reckon old money Tory's are more likely to go libdem, at least the ones that were pro EU.

Having completely ingested the brexit mandate what's left to centre around?

• Advertisement

The question is, are there enough of the One-Nation Conservatives left in the party after the Johnson/Truss/Sunak years to purge the ERG types?

They'll need to be repeatedly beaten to learn it, as history shows. They need to clean house and it's clear that this is at least one more election away. We don't know what's around the corner for Labour but the shine will wear away and they will begin to accrue baggage as is inevitable. Unless they reform the voting system, we'll end up with a Tory government on 40% of the vote once again.

She seemed sincere, I'll give her that but she was an unmitigated disaster, even before she took on a task that the dog on the street knew she was ill-suited for.

The Lib Dems could very cleverly build themselves up as a centre-right/classic liberal option if they play their cards right. If the Tories go hard right, the room is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mark Francois red-faced and angry (but not the g-word) on Sky News. Seems the 1922 Committee have elected a new chair & committee, but according to MF they told some MPs the wrong time for the meeting. So loads of them turned up after the whole thing was a done deal.

He wants the whole vote to be null and void and a new vote to take place next week (please, no sniggering at the back about how a second vote would be anti-democratic).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭Shoog

It might end up been a labour + liberal coalition that eventually takes the British back into Europe. Labour will have plausible deniability then.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Randycove

the problem labour will have with that, is their large number of brexit supporting voters.

Corbyn didn’t listen to the red wall and got his arse handed to him. Do you really think Starmer is going to do the same?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Corbyn was the least europhile Labour leader they have had in the last 30 years.

The Red Wall is not anti-EU, it's just anti lack of investment and opportunity. The Tories lied and promised it and I don't expect they will believe them again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,269 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's very insulting to Victor…

…who was quite often correct in what frustrated him.

Whereas the gammons would more likely get red faced simply because there's too many brown people walking down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Randycove

the red wall voted very definitely to leave the European Union and while Corbyn was generally anti the EU (or anti pretty much everything really) he was offering a new deal (which was about the fourth or fifth deal the uk had negotiated) and another referendum.

The red wall gave him their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Any idea of time scale? I think it will be measured in decades, in which case the parties as they currently are might not exist..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

A massive sledgehammer to fix reesmogg sounds good.

Advertisement