Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

They've probably produced the 2 performances of the championship in those Limerick games but yes have had unconvincing games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

That’s the lad. Christ he’s insufferable to listen to. Hopefully Clare take it home in 2 weeks!

That's him alright, that was a brilliant show with Wooly, Cheedar etc. once upon a time, they've basically given up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

His whole schtick is to be a dick to drive views towards joes websites, videos etc. He did the whole Shane O Donnell diving video earlier in the year when Sean O Donoghue got sent off. If you're watching videos with him in it you've taken a wrong turn on the Internet. I was plagued with videos by him during the league because I watched a few hurling clips and the algorithm kept sending his page to me. An absolute gowl. Fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bettysloft

How is that arrogant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Bettysloft

How is that arrogant? Would you disagree with that statement? Their fans have been brilliant to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Are Dicksboro not missing Tom Kenny, Andrew Gaffney and one or two others? That would lessen their chances. I also cannot figure out how, quite rightly, Dicksboro are at the top of the betting for the Kilkenny championship most years yet provide next to nothing for the county team.

Last year, there was very little between Shamrocks, O'Loughlins and Dicksboro (Two one point wins). O'Loughlins and The Shamrocks backboned the Kilkenny team (7 starters) yet Dicksboro had nobody on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Don't really have much to add to what has been said on Saturday's game, a game we could have won but left behind badly in the end and a disappointing end to the intercounty season. But just an update from the County Board meeting last night the CB outlined the purchase of around 30 acres of land in Dunmore after extensive sites being looked at this was the one that was found to be the best site. The sale of the land was in total 84 acres with the CB purchasing 30 acres, another club (not named) purchasing 10 acres and 2 companies purchasing the remainder of the land. It would seem that Phil Hogan was heavily involved in this process also but there waiting on everything to be sorted before outlining all details of what is to be expected but you can take it there will be floodlight and astro pitches at the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

Wooly has a show on Patreon now that's pretty much the same as his previous format (no Cheddar for some reason unfortunately) - but Olly Baker and Bubbles are generally worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Is the land connected to the current grounds in Dunmore? If so, this is a great purchase.

To be honest they didn't go into that detail as there was still things to be finalised but we should hear more next month, I'd imagine to must be but that's only my assumption. All in all a positive move, I'd be sceptical had it just been a CB decision but the fact that Phil Hogan was involved in the process does fill me with more confidence this is the best move.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sir Chaz

Very badly needed and very welcome. We are so far behind other top counties with our facilities it's a joke.
    Personally I'd have moved away from that dump, literally, and promoted this as a new start for bringing Kilkenny GAA into the 21st century, but perhaps cost is the issue.

Who are the club buying the 10 acres? Has to be OLG no?

I think cost and available sites was an issue, from what I hear they did scout a number of sites in and around the city but cost was a big issue. They didn't mention who the club was, maybe they have to ratify at their end first, but I'd imagine it's OLG, that would be part of their catchment area. Hopefully we'll see some detailed plans soon on what we can expect out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Barrett made 9 appearances for Cork in 2021 (including 5 in the championship), so suggesting somehow that he wasn’t involved in 2021 or merely a fringe panel member, isn’t correct.

My main point is that we rightly look at KK senior team and subs and say there has been too little change in last 3-4 years. But look at the respective teams from the 2021 semifinal and there has probably been even less change with Cork, a team posters are telling us we couldn’t hope to live with if we had made the final.

Cork are playing with great verve and style and pace, but the suggest there is some sort of chasm between them and us is mental.

Go back a few months and posters here were calling Cork senior hurling a shambles, their club championship tippy tappy non contact rubbish. Now they are the new Limerick.

We’ll see, I'd have real doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Corkman here; sure ye Kilkenny lads should be delighted with us; we prevented yere four-in-a-row team being surpassed as the greatest hurling team ever 😀. I know ye KK lads haven't a lot of grá for Cork; I admit some of our supporters can be insufferable at times. But every county has them in fairness.

Fair enough but unless there an exceptional talent very few become a really prominent player in their team til 21-23 these days. Kilkenny's worst championship since the All Ireland QF were introduced in 1997 was in 2017 and that year ye knocked Limerick out in a qualifier in Nowlan Park, 10 of the Limerick starting team and 2 of the subs they used became mainstays of 5 All Ireland's in 6 years but they weren't at the level at that point.

Cork have produced probably the 2 performances of the championship in their games v Limerick, if they produce that in the final I can't see them losing but that's the big if. I don't think they'll take over either I actually fancy Limerick to bounce back next year, win 1 or 2 more titles with this team before it starts to break up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Village87

This Cork team will always give you every chance to beat them, thats the style they play. Kilkenny are a slow team, it showed again Saturday, when Clare got rolling Kilkenny had no answer. Mullen, Cody, Donnelly, TJ, Kenny, Deegan, Mossy unfortunately lack that pace up front and around the middle. Kilkenny drew against a poor Galway team, drew against Carlow, beat Wexford by a point, did well to beat Dublin in Parnell Park and easily beat them in the Leinster final, beating poor opposition. They came up short again Saturday. When the games against the Munster teams in the latter stages of the championship get flowing Kilkenny get overrun, this is happening years.

I know and it's very good, Joe.ie kept that show with lads like James Ryall after Wooly left but seem have completely given up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Its always being an issue even under Cody. Im no expert but when i saw Fogarty and Walsh coming on i knew that was it. Fogarty is ok to bring on for the last 10 mins if you are 7 or 8 points up. But to try and turn the tide of the game he was not the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

Except we didn't get runover in 2019, 2022 or 2023 amd should have won thos year

Tipp were not the paciest of teams in 2019, we were well beat that day.

I was mainly referring to the Waterford game in 2020 and the Cork game in 2021 and the game Saturday.

We did well to beat Clare last year, Clare were really on top the second half and a soft goal and great save by Murphy got us over the line.

But we do need to inject some pace in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

Pace is important but Cork aren't pace everywhere either, the notably quick players they have are Barrett, Fitzgibbon, Connolly and Coleman. Other than that they are just like every other team.

Mikey Carey and Billy Ryan are quick for us, Blanchfield and Lawlor are quick also but not to the same degree. More pace would be beneficial alright but with a blend of the hurlers we have.

I have to say Cian Kenny was fantastic for us this year, won't get an all star but maybe behind William O Donohue and Darragh Fitzgibbon he is as good as there is in the country. He pops up everywhere , gets a few scores and his touch is class, saw different side to him this year so thought it's worth a mention.

I think Lyng is getting work out of the players, they are trying to do the right things and if they can develop the gameplan further we can do better. They have worked the ball better and have worked on it and improved it. If they structure how they work the ball to the middle of the field we could be on to something. The players are trying it and are more comfortable throwing the ball around but if they worked more in pods and triangles as they work the ball we would open up more opportunities. It's very clear in the clip of our short puckouts that we are trying to do the right things but the players aren't moving into the right pockets of space to give the full back line options.

The other thing is to be less conservative with players, like if we are down in a league match we were taking young lads off before half time and bringing on experience, give them time and let them see of they can work it out. Can't believe Jordan Molloy and Shane Murphy were not given their chance on Saturday off the bench. I couldn't care less how the league goes next year we need to try things and not panic if we lose a few poxy games.

Has to be more foresight as well, he played Luke Hogan in loads of games and then he disappeared, what changed, same with Killian Doyle saga.

All in all we are not in as bad a place as it appears but we have tried the same thing for three years so few changes are needed. We have to come back with something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Was going to post something similar to @droppingball. We were very nearly there on Saturday but for a few great saves out of Quilligan, and I thought he would be a weak link for Clare but he was very good on Saturday. But part of being the better team is taking the chances when presented.

In terms of speed, we have Billy Ryan, who I think may have had his best year, Carey, Cody's no slacker either and Owen Wall on the bench, a speed merchant and direct hurler.

As said above, I couldn't understand why the likes of Molloy, Murphy and Wall weren't introduced, we needed fresh legs, mobility and a bit of unpredictability. Wally has been a great servant to Kilkenny hurling but I just felt when he came on that Clare knew exactly what we'd do, lump the ball up the field, and low and behold that's what we did for the last 20 minutes and not in a way that gave our forwards any advantage, predictable! Having said all that, we're not far off either, with some smarter use of the ball.

On retirements, you'd think Buckley, Wally and Fogarty will certainly consider it. I reckon TJ will stay on. Did Conor Delaney see any Championship ? Is Liam Blanchfield still on the extended panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Is there anyone with a Gaelic Football background involved in coaching hurling at county level in Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

think the dublin group game was the end of the road for a few of them, lyng went ultra conservative when things weren't going well from then on.

Subs: B Ryan for Wall (half-time); R Reid for S Murphy (42); C Fogarty for Phelan (59); C Buckley for Carey (68)

wexford line up was back to tried and trusted, not much time given to wall or shine

Subs: Conor Fogarty for Phelan ht; Walter Walsh for Keoghan 61st min; Owen Wall for Ryan 71st min; Harry Shine for Kenny 72nd min.

there was far more than just the younger players not playing well in the dublin game

It's not the speed in our legs that's the problem. It's the speed in our brains. We heard a lot about adapting during games and having different formations and approaches from management but when push came to shove we failed to commit to heads up hurling.

And we have very poor onfield leadership since Shefflin retired. Who on the field had the wit and personality to force their peers to cop on and man up to the needed adjustments in approach? It's literally scruff of the neck stuff needed.

Fix the above, and we'll look like a team of greyhounds.

First half was very good, but as soon as the tempo rises and pressure comes on its back to square one. Players seem to lose confidence especially if one or 2 short ones don't work out. Need a strong runner around midfield half forward line to really thrive at that game. Look at Carey when he got up the field, 2 passes and he was away.

I'd love another strong runner but I'd argue we had it already in Blanch, Carey, Deegan, Mikey Butler and Hugh (who was moved out of FB). Also Mullen (if he was fit) considering he was an auxiliary back. The options were there.

I think quick hands are as important btw. We did one lovely layoff in the second half (can't recall who was involved) but that was it.

• Advertisement

Honestly I think that is required. All Gaelic is nowadays is the study of transitioning from one part of the field to another.

edit: this was a response to the question about whether any Gaelic Football background coaches were involved with Kilkenny.

Advertisement