Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NI - Westminster Election 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Well there were plenty on here not happy to accept the DUPs mandate to abstain from Stormont for two years.

That said, long may their abstention continue

"Not gonna happen"

So in the event of a hung parliament and legislation enabling a United Ireland needed SF votes to pass, they wouldn't take their seats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It wasn't a personal attack, it was a genuine observation based on your previous history of responding to people by copy and pasting their answer into ChatGPT and just copy/pasting the response directly in.

I work with generative AI on a daily basis (though to be clear, I'm not on the coding side of things). I understand and am quite impressed with ChatGPT, but also understand it's frailties. You seem to think it is a panacea for saving you make any modicum of effort.

It is useful as a starting point; your dependence on it to provide your entire answers without any effort to even proof read, just copy/paste, let alone understand or extrapolate beyond whatever it feeds you......it betrays the ignorance of the middle aged thinking they're, 'down with the kids'.

That aside, if I've misunderstood where you're coming from, please tell me

a) what is so 'interesting' about those numbers and

b) how that aligns with your rabid defense of FPTP

this is fairly unbelievable stuff.  

‘my rabid support of fptp’.  I explicitly said there were pros and cons. You were very anti it, so I shared with you the pros.  

I am undecided, but would be drawn to pr, with all its frailties - it would certainly make my vote more valuable. 

Your nonsense claims about my use of chatgpt in posts are just nasty lies - but if they are not lies and you really believe I am using chatgpt to reply to posts, well I am honoured that you should make such a comparison 🤣🤣🤣🤣

You've literally posted on the (conveniently for you, what appears to have been deleted), 'why I'll say no to Unification' thread on multiple occasions stating, 'I've pasted X into ChatGPT and it said ______'.

This is where it first became apparent that you don't really understand ChatGPT, Downcow.

Edit: fortunately a quick search shows that you've done it outside that thread as well; from January this year.

Your post on that page opens with exactly what I said, direct copy/paste from ChatGPT per your own admission;

I shouldn’t play your silly games, but I did list several eg (a direct quote from the internet from chat gpt - I haven’t changed a word) . Now maybe you will share some distinct Irish culture that exists nowhere else (your test), or would you like a few more northern Irish ones first?

On the previous page you had

I can give you a long list but we all know, like any culture, they will be replicated on occasion in other places. So your silly test cannot be met.

but for the crack I asked chat gpt and here is its response:

And like I said, multiple occasions on the, 'Why I'll say no to Unification' thread.

It is obvious when you do it because the tone, language and structuring are completely different from your usual posting. There's not a hope in hell your, 'defense' of FPTP wasn't copy/pasted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: this thread is not a discussion on chatgpt. Any complaints then report them rather than discuss them here.

@downcow (and anyone else) any further use of AI to write your posts will result in action up to and including a forum ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But that wouldn't be particularly meaningful.

One of the features of the UK's frankly crapulous electoral system is that it doesn't reward parties for getting high vote totals. If a party wins a seat with a majority of 100 votes, that gives the the same representation in Parliament as if they won it with a majority of 20,000 votes.

The result of that, as Keir Starmer understands but Jeremy Corbyn evidently didn't, is that the route to success does not lie in getting the maximum number of votes, but in getting your votes in the right places.

Both parties and voters respond to this. Parties respond by, e.g., adopting policies designed to win votes in marginal constituencies, even if those policies will alienate some party supporters in safe seats (see, e.g., Labour's stance on Gaza) or by picking and choosing which seats to run candidates in. In other words, parties may intentionally chase a lower vote in order to maximise their seats. And voters also respond, e.g., by voting not for the party whose policies most closely align with their own but for a party with whom they have some policy differences, but that can win the seat.

All of this means you can't treat votes in a general election as anything but a very rough proxy for support for a party's position.

In 2019, on the figures given, votes for unionist parties were 108.6% of votes for nationalist parties. In 2024, votes for unionist parties were 110.4% of votes for nationalist parties. Obviously, unionists will be happier about that than if the situation were the other way around, but the truth is that given the host of factors that affect voting choice, a movement of this magnitude is well within the margin of error. This is a pretty meaningles statistic.

for me the biggest pro of FPTP is that you get one local rep who needs to advocate for you - and take responsibility when it goes wrong.
    the biggest con is that my MP refuses to represent me in Westminster and refuses to condemn the murder of members of my constituency- that’s a bit sick and if we had PR I would have a few reps so I could choose to deal with one who was not so partisan

One of Hilary Benn's first comments of note since being appointed NI Secretary was announcing that the Casement rebuild will go ahead.

Nothing groundbreaking, he hasn't promised a blank cheque, has made it clear that he can't promise it will be ready in time for the Euros, but it is good to see that it is a significant enough topic for him to discuss on his first working day after being appointed to the role. A quick affirmation of their commitment means the Euros are still potentially on the table at least.

I'm also eager to see whether Labour follow through on their promise to scrap the Troubles Legacy Act.

I've a lot of time for Hilary Benn, and I think finally having a competent SoS for NI will help ease tensions between both communities. While I've of course specifically mentioned two issues that would be seen as important to the Nationalist community, I expect him to be a good mediator and I do think he will be pretty even-handed when it comes to how he deals with both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Starmer worked in NI before politics. Benn is also well versed in NI politics.

So the future might brighten for NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Interesting to compare with the 2017 Westminister elections, the last under the leadership of Gerry Adams.

Sinn Fein got 238,915 votes then, with a 29.4% share of the vote.

Under Michelle, the votes have fallen to 210,891 with a 27.0% share of the vote.

The nationalist share of the vote has fallen from 41.1% of the vote to 38.1% of the vote. With the unionist share of the vote also declining (but remaining ahead of the nationalist share), the real story is the continued rise of the middle ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭mehico

For Westminster elections, would Alliance not be a little dissapointed in the most recent results where they had been in contention for 3 seats before the election but won 1 seat. Though it is a gain in respect of the 2017 WM election where Unionists had 11 seats and Nationalists 7.

FPTP voting and differing political circumstances at the time. As you're well aware, comparing elections where SF stood in all constituencies to 14/18 already makes it a pointless comparison.

You're painfully transparent, Blanch...but you're not a fool. A substantial amount of that, 'growing middle ground' vote was a borrowed Nationalist vote used to vote against DUP.

I've called it out from the other side when the, 'SF are the largest party, border poll tomorrow' type arguments are made, and I'll call it out in your case too. You absolutely can't read into broader trends from FPTP voting results with no context.

Adding back the 10,135 votes from the four constituencies they didn't stand in, doesn't change the picture much.

This is not something new. I have pointed out this in the last Assembly elections. Sinn Fein is taking a greater share of the nationalist vote, but the nationalist vote isn't moving the dial. With the DUP taking a declining share of the unionist vote, it is all about reshuffling the cards, not about changing the deck.

Even putting the tactical considerations of FPTP voting aside, it accounts for a huge percentage 'drop' you're claiming for SF/Nationalist from 2017 to 2024 on its own, Blanch.

That is the point I'm making: FPTP voting leads to huge tactical voting, you absolutely can't make arguments (either direction) about how people would vote in a border poll based on minor changes in vote share percentage in a FPTP election.

For example, in the 2017-2024 elections you're comparing, another substantial chunk of the drop in Nationalist vote is easily accounted for by SF voters not showing up in safe seats; I'm pretty sure West Belfast hasn't magically got less Republican, but the voter turnout there dropped from over 65% to under 53% between 2017 and 2024. It is such a safe seat that the Republican vote doesn't need to bother showing up. Given the Unionist in-fighting I'm not sure I could find a comparable example from the Unionist side, but the point stands.....context free raw numbers from a FPTP election are an absolutely sh*tty way to judge anything beyond who is elected in that election.

I know, I know.....you desperately need to clutch onto anything that let's you feel like you're winning an argument against Unification, but it is idiotic.

• Advertisement

Alliance had 64,000 votes in 2017, have nearly doubled those to 117,191 in 2024.

Significant increase in votes cast, particularly in constituencies that previously returned unionist candidates but would AP not have been a little disappointed to not win more than one seat in the most recent WM election where they had been in contention for 3?

This is the problem with FPTP, it doesn't produce results in parallel with percentage votes.

Look at the rest of the UK. The Greens got 6.39% of the vote and only took 4 seats.

I agree that is a problem in comparing percentages. Would probably need to look at elections in NI that don't use FPTP to give a better reflection on seats per party.

But I think AP would be disappointed not to at least gain one additional WM seat where there was the potential for three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

1.8% drop in their vote translated into a drop of 17,000 votes on 2019 performance. Long messed up her own campaign and got beaten for the 4th time by Robinson, Farry seemed to be intent on lording it over everyone in Down and lost the seat for them there. 1 seat was way below what they targeted.
    Of course they'd be disappointed.

• Advertisement

On a good day for AP, they could have won LV, EB, North Down and on a really good day, maybe even East Antrim, five years time who knows how it could go. Elsewhere SF challenging for Gregory Campbells seat in this election, in future elections what party will be successful in this constituency?

These are five seats that can no longer be regarded as safe unionist seats and not sure how unionism can turn this around. Very difficult at this point to see how unionist parties will ever be a majority in WM again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is it that time for the copy and paste post from Blanch after every election telling us all about the "Third Way"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Labour and SF targetted resources to where they were most needed.

FPTP means where you get your votes is nearly more important than how many you get.

It's a well known 'feature' like in 2015 when the DUP got 8 seats from 184,260 votes vs. UKIP getting 3,881,099 votes resulting in a single seat.

agreed on all of you post, we just have a differing desire on casement. But he said it will be fine which I support 100%, just hope it doesn’t get the euros money.

interesting to watch the fallout from the Westminster election re Alliance party. I never thought I would be on Naomi’s side, but I feel for her dealing with this arrogant woman

I agree with you. But I think all is not well in alliance, which potentially is good news for SDLP and UUP

"I just hope themmuns get nothing, even if it spites myself"

Sorcha is arrogant? Pray tell?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, we could all take a low resolution screen grab of a video, taken at the right minute to show any desired emotional effect.

• Advertisement

oh I’m not disagreeing with you there. But I sense there is trouble within alliance

I missed the news today. Did our highly paid sf newly elected MPs disclose what they are earning yet? A thorny question

How much do you guys think is too much and may annoy their grass roots?

Whatever SF get paid, they only claim expenses from Westminster, they don't take parliamentary salaries.

Sure getting rid of Paisley's expenses is probably enough to cover half of NI MPs on its own!

As for an actual answer.....well paid is relative. I wouldn't think it was worth it for me even with the full parliamentary salary plus Paisley-esque expenses and holiday funds on top, though I think SF looked like ballbags keeping the, 'we only take the average industrial wage' nonsense on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Francis McM

As well as the money from the British taxpayer, someone must pay or reward some MPs well, when Pat Cullen left a stg £200,000 a year job to stand as a MP. Either that, or some come down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Could it be that she's left a job in which she feels she has done what she was going to do, to move to a new role that she feels she has something to contribute to? It could be — just possibly that she's not as motivated by the money as you evidently think people are.

According to the website of the UK parliament the basic annual salary for an MP from 1 April 2024 is £91,346.

It also says " MPs also receive expenses to cover the costs of running an office, employing staff, having somewhere to live in London or their constituency, and travelling between Parliament and their constituency."

It is anyone's guess if that annoys the grass roots: I think not, it could be more annoying for some grass roots if, for example, someone was already loaded and lived outside the constituency in luxury with an equally loaded partner.

SF MPs don't take the basic annual salary as they abstain from Westminster, so the number isn't particularly helpful when it comes to knowing what their MPs are actually paid.

They obviously don't have the travel to Westminster expenses, but have been quite clear that they do take their constituency expenses. Their salaries (whatever they are) are paid by the party, and a quirk of the Code of Conduct for MPs means they're not required to declare how much this is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well they aren't entitled to it rather than don't take it. I have always been irritated by the claim they "only take the average industrial wage" in Ireland which is, charitably, a fairly large fudge of the reality.

Haven't some of them taken expenses for accommodation in London? At least in the past I'm sure I've read that. Ultimately they can take whatever they are entitled to of course, their constituents know full well what they are voting for.

There have been exceptions to Sinn Fein policy on remuneration over the years.

• Advertisement

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge it came out that they were taking the pre-tax, 'average industrial wage' as their post tax pay down here. If I recall correctly, as of recent years that was also an optional decision for each party member, so some were just taking their full TD salary plus expenses. Pretty deceptive all round.

I remember there was a bit of scandal around some rental properties in London for their MPs back about fifteen years ago, but I can't remember the specifics and genuinely have no idea if it is still the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I mean, 100% of them are taking their full pay, some just choose to donate a portion to the central party. Which is fine, and still a fairly generous thing to do, but it is not "only taking" the average industrial wage or whatever and returning the rest to Revenue. You could argue it is semantics but I don't think it is.

I'm probably remembering the same thing and I assume it's probably gone post the whole Expenses scandal era. I have no issue with them taking Constituency expenses, they still run their local constituency offices.

Yeah, you're right. It is an important distinction to make of course, though I don't believe anyone is under the impression that the extra money is going back to revenue rather than into the party coffers.

It made more sense as a policy (at least from their perspective) back in the day when that money was going towards funding certain people's families as they weren't at liberty to earn a salary themselves for obvious reasons, in current times is seems more of a pretty weak, 'see, we're just normal people. Not in it for the money, ignore my massive house' deal.

Emma De Souza assessing the implications/fallout of the General Election.

With Jim Allister taking his place in Reform today despite Farage backing his rival, it remains to be seen how the three strands of Unionism navigate their depleted and confused status.

Very biased article, but not unexpected coming from a nationalist like DeSouza.

It does not reflect well on the Guardian newspaper that they employ her to write an article which should be a reasonably impartial view ( given the Guardian audience ) , but instead is very one sided. Shame on her.

De Souza is hardly a neutral commentator, one who is still stuck in the old binary notions of nationhood.

Nobody is surprised that traditional unionism is dying, nor that nationalism is stagnating. The rise of Northern Irish as an identity explains that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Where do you see this identity though? Cos it's well and good talking about binaries, but said binaries still speak for the vast majority of political and social representation; whither the "Northern Irish identity" that isn't or hasn't been co-opted by one side or the other? Alliance are kinda working that angle but it's an incredibly narrow cultural or ideological path to walk.

Alliance lost 1.8% of their vote = 17,000 votes.

If only 15-20% of people hold that Northern Irish identity - people like Rory McIlroy epitomise it - it holds the balance of power.

Perhaps, but again I ask, whither that Identity in real terms? It's easy for Rory McIlroy to wax poetic about his identity given his (insane) wealth affords that kind of … I dunno, ease of any ideology he wishes; same goes for any NI celebrity who can chatter to the media about things no longer effecting them (and that's no criticism necessarily either; McIlroy, Neeson etc. all earned their comfort) … but it's in the actual suburbs and environs where I'd wanna see this idea of some pivotal, mythical 3rd Way.

I don't think any binary society is healthy nor can be sustained forever without those sides eventually eating each other … but that's not to say there aren't countries with distinct dysfunctional (if not outright conflicting) working identities either. Northern Ireland is one of them and don't see how and where a "Northern Irish" identity can work its way around and over the bonfires, flegstones and other projected and more aggressive forms of culture present and dominant ATM.

My children have come across it abroad - France and the US - where young people from Northern Ireland make clear that they are neither British nor Irish, but Northern Irish.

Now, that may be an unrepresentative sample. Those who get away from that sectarian cesspit are much more likely to disavow both extremes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement