Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse Lucy Letby found guilty of murdering seven babies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

I found it a very dull read. Sorry! Is there any new evidence, or basically its a long-winded way of saying:

- it was only statistical evidence, which they think was flawed

• the public mood/media/etc had already judged her guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Chilling indeed and has left me feeling very uncomfortable on a human level. A conviction secured not on actual evidence but by the lack of it.

They've not only destroyed her life but her mind too, very disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

I look at it from the opposite point of view, is there any evidence, except flawed statistical evidence, that points to her being guilty? And no seems to be the answer to that question.

That leads on to asking whether flawed statistical evidence makes a person guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. I have a very very hard time saying yes to that personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,347 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Feels to me we’re at the start of a 15 - 20 year ordeal where eventually justice is done after those complicit in ruining this woman’s life are long retired / moved to other positions - ala Derry, Birmingham, Guildford, Hillsborough et al.

The amazing thing to me always is how quick people are to swallow the narrative of guilt, no matter how flimsy. So many of the posts at the top of this thread look awful silly, I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The big thing that is a bit concerning about the case is so many are under impression a crime definitely occurred. The actual evidence for murders seems pretty weak at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The whole forum is a prime example of how eagerly people jump at any opportunity to join a (virtual) lynch mob. Offer a counter argument and you will be accused of all sorts because their emotions on the matter should outweigh reason.

This case was a mess to start with, not even counting in the media circus surrounding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

The dumbest things said on TV cop shows:

1. We got an eye witness! Case closed.
    2. All that evidence is just circumstantial!

More people have been wrongly convicted by mistaken eye-witnesses than any other cause.

Most convictions depend on circumstantial evidence. In fact, it is increasingly rare for anyone other than the victim to go into a witness box and give direct evidence of a crime.

If Lucy Letby is innocent, she did an outstanding job of incriminating herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,347 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭marilynrr

The lack of defence was really very concerning and bizarre.

There was also a very interesting part of the New Yorker article that was removed following concerns raised by an English court 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

More charges or just sentencing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

The latest conviction is based on direct evidence, not statistics. Her defenders will find this very hard to explain away

Consultant paediatrician Dr Ravi Jayaram had caught her "virtually red-handed" as he entered the unit's intensive care room at about 03:45.

Dr Jayaram, who intervened to resuscitate the child, told jurors he saw "no evidence" that Letby had done anything to help the deteriorating baby. He said he heard no call for help from Letby, or alarms sounding as Baby K's blood oxygen levels suddenly dropped. Letby told the jury of six women and six men she had no recollection of any such event.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c98q74dn91do

Just makes it even more unsafe for me. The baby died 3 days later in another hospital unrelatedly. The witness already had their suspicions about Letby so confirmation bias plays a big part. The jury could use her previous convictions as propensity for this conviction but were not told she had been acquitted of two other attempted murder charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/02/lucy-letby-retrial-scrum-of-spectators-courtroom

This is the amount of 'evidence' required to establish an attempted murder conviction btw. A possibility based on a belief based on a suspicion that was neither reported to anyone nor recorded in medical notes at the time. Despite there being not enough evidence to even charge Letby with the murder of a baby that died 3 days later she somehow can be found guilty of the attempted murder of the same baby.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jun/19/lucy-letby-doctor-oxygen-levels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I agree that there was something dodgy about the whole case.

She was also confirmed to have been in another room feeding and changing a different baby (whom I assume is alive and well) at 3.30, a process which is 10-15 minutes long just for the feeding.

She also expressed reservations about jayorams good faith in a written defence statement. This stinks to high heaven.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jun/24/lucy-letby-denies-having-killed-babies-at-attempted-murder-trial

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This type of henious murderer is for who the injection should be in the table for. She’s never going to see the light of day again and what’s it going to cost to lock her away for potentially 40-50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agree.

Very good read that article.

Always wondered what exactly was the "evidence beyond reasonable doubt ."

Looks like there are a lot of holes in that investigation and probable grounds for appeal at the very least .

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭drury..

LWP is cheaper overall than the electric chair in the US anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Thought the electric chair would be fairly inexpensive

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭drury..

Its all the legal costs presumably and cost of incarceration before they get it

• Advertisement

Well for some to be so flippant when they're not spending the rest of their days in prison.

Transcript from the original trial showing zero corroboration between the nurse charged with baby K's care and Jayoram..

https://www.reddit.com/r/lucyletby/comments/11e3cm1/lucy_letby_trial_prosecution_day_63_28_february/?rdt=33100

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

An interesting read- I’m not at all convinced that she was defended well - in addition, much of the evidence was complex to the degree that it took a number of days to explain to the jury some of the concepts - and now clearly, some of the so called evidence is being called into question - I wonder where this will go ultimately

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/09/lucy-letby-evidence-experts-question

Judge Goss directed the jury that if they concluded that Letby had deliberately harmed babies one way, they could also conclude that she had inflicted deliberate harm on others, even if jurors were not certain of her methods.

So basically, they could find her guilty for the other deaths for no other reason than she was there. This direction from the Judge alone should have been grounds for appeal.

At least the press have finally been allowed to expose this travesty now the courts process is over, this will just grow and grow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You were very open-minded all along, but then in post #751 (at the bottom of page 25) you concluded, having done a lot of research, that there was enough evidence to be sure of her guilt.

Not having a pop or anything (we are always allowed change our mind) but wondering what has swayed you back to doubt? The American newspaper article re statistics and medical questions etc was really just a decent collation of points which were being said at the time and which you had presumably rejected. You've a medical background I think, do you know if such doubt about the verdict is widespread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭carveone

That article mentions the shift chart in the negative for once. I'm sure this has been done to death in this thread but I've always taken that chart as evidence of how easily they can be used to influence juries and the public. There was a recent Behind the Bastards podcast about nonsense forensics that I thought sounded like this.

(There were 25 suspicious events making up the rows, these were a list of all the events occurring while Letby was on shift. Events that happened when she wasn't there were not on the list. Surprise surprise, she's present for all the listed events. Complete drivel. Also there were only nurses across the top, like no doctors or other staff worked in the hospital).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Lies, damn lies and statistics as they say - I didn’t comment a whole lot on this case simply because of the medical complexities of it all -I reckoned the jury were all appropriately educated, that the most up to date thinking from a medical perspective was brought in as evidence but apparently a hell of a lot of this so called expert testimony is now widely disputed. And to boot, not properly challenged by the defence.

I know there’s an element to this case that’s just so terrible, you don’t want to think that a nurse of all people is capable of such evil - but of course it’s possible. But I’m not convinced that the convictions have been achieved based on clear evidence- it’s clear many experts are criticising many aspects of the case now- in addition, it’s very easy for a jury, once they convict on the first count of murder, to return guilty verdicts on most of the others if the evidence is just rinsed and repeated.

If mistakes have been made here, better it’s admitted now- start again - there’s certainly reasonable doubt -

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

if Lucy is let off, she probably won't be working as a nurse again, but many here would seem to have no problem her working as a baby sitter for them ? the presumption of innocence and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No it wasn't just statistical evidence: the main issue is that there was little to no medical evidence that there had even been any murders in the first place.

These were tiny, very unwell babies, so deaths were not unusual, and the statistical evidence that was used to convict her (in the absence of any actual evidence) was deeply flawed because they designated as "suspicious" the deaths that occurred when she was there. Other, similar deaths that occurred at other moments were not included in the list.

Then they showed that list that they'd created based on Lucy Letby's presence at deaths to the jury as evidence that she was the only person there when all the deaths occurred.

(You really should read the article. It's horrifying.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭JVince

The biggest issue here is that the jury was made up of 12 ordinary people and they can be easily swayed by "expert" OPINION. Frankly, for complex medical cases they should have a jury with some form of medical knowledge.

Just look at some of the early posts here and the total assumption of her guilt because the media narrative said so.

The guardian article is good, but if you have an interest in it, read the New Yorker article. Its a good couple of hours of a read, but it raises a huge number of questions.

Her legal team don't seem to have had much expertise in the field and they were up against the very best.

Remember, you don't need to look far in the past to see how bad the UK system is - Royal Mail / Horizon is a classic example of making the evidence fit and only now have they accepted that they knew the software was flawed all along yet that didn't stop people being wrongly convicted and people committing suicide because the people in charge didn't want to be found out - even if it cost innocent lives.

• Advertisement

Her legal team not having much experience is being extremely kind, not calling any experts to debase the opinions of the prosecution's witnesses, and there was at least one who was surprised they weren't, gives rise to a suspicion of a laissez faire attitude at the very least.

Advertisement