Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning a Trip to Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans - any advice?

• 12-06-2024 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hey

I am in the early stages of planning a trip next year (2025) to Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans and looking for any advice or recommendations from anyone who has already done it. So far potential plan is to Fly from Dublin to Nashville, rent a car and drive to Memphis and then drive to New Orleans and fly home from there.

Id be thinking about 4 days in each place (does anyone have any recommendations on whether this is enough for each place or too much time etc)?

Also, is there any specific time of year that people would recommend to go to get the best experience out of it (I was thinking maybe August or September).

Any infor/recommendations people may have would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Currently in Memphis having travelled (by bus) from Nashville. Spent 3 nights in Nashville and will stay 2 nights in Memphis . Spent a couple of days in Washington before we flew to Nashville. If I was planning the trip again I would give more time to Memphis than Nashville, at least three whole days. Nashville is interesting to see but it’s mostly bars which is fine if that’s what you are into. There is a lot to see and do in Memphis, the Civil Rights museum (Lorraine Motel) , Sun Studios, Graceland, the Peabody ducks! You can also take a trip down the Mississippi on a steamboat. New Orleans was not on our itinerary for this trip. I actually posted about it last year on the travel forum as we were thinking of dividing our time between there and Washington but had read some mixed reviews about NO on other sites. Got some positive feedback from posters here but after talking to a few more people irl we decided Nashville/Memphis was a better alternative. September is an ideal time to travel. It is very hot and humid here at the moment and it can impact on your enjoyment of the sights. We couldn’t plan it for later in the year but if you have the option of booking it for late August/September then would recommend you do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

How's bus travel there ? Is that regular US bus service or private travel package bus ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

We travelled on a Greyhound bus, not the most enjoyable experience but it got us there on time. There is another bus company called Vonlane who offer a more premium type service, larger seats, attendants on the bus who bring you snacks/drinks, newer vehicles. A little more expensive than the Greyhound option but worth the extra cost if you are looking at booking anything longer than a 3 hour trip. Had we known of its existence we would have booked with them rather than Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 notfragile

I think 4 days in each place seems like a good amount of time. Nashville, Memphis and NOLA all have plenty to offer tourists and you won't feel rushed, and for the months it's either August/September is a nice time to visit when the weather is hot but not insufferably so. Keep in mind hurricane season does start ramping up in August along the Gulf coast, so be prepared for possible rain and also I recommend you to check out live music in Nashville on Broadway, especially honky tonk bars, I did have fun when I visited there and For BBQ, Central BBQ in Memphis is delicious.😋😋 for NOLA, stroll through the French Quarter and enjoy jazz at venues like Preservation Hall. And if you need some tips for your incoming travel you could also check out this article: https://gowithguide.com/blog/how-to-plan-a-trip-5-essential-steps-5730 It covers things like research, booking, budgeting your time, transportation etc. It's really helpful btw! I hope my suggestions will help you making your itinerary! Have fun 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah did this trip in September a few years ago. You'll have a ball. Go in September rather than August. Its cooler and the kids are back in school, college etc so less busy. Its very hot and humid in the summer.

Rent a car. Nashville to Memphis is about 3 hours. Nothing really to see or do on the way. 2 days in Nashville is plenty. Mainly bars and music. Food is, ok. 2 days should do it. I was there for 4 and was well done after 3 days.

Memphis. 2-3 days. Loads to see. Graceland (go early!), Sun Studios, Beale St etc. Nice restaurants too.

I love all that old blues and they have markers all over Mississippi for famous blues places etc.

Memphis to New Orleans is about 7 or 8 hours if you take Highway 61 which I would advise. Great drive. Have a look at staying a night in each Clarksdale (Go to Reds Blues bar, stay in the Shackup Inn), Vicksburg and Natchez in the big old white country houses/hotels. Bazsinsky House or Anchuca Mansion. Take a boat down the river.

New Orleans is my favourite city I've ever been to. Been 3 times (inc this year) and can't wait to go back. Do 4 days and try make it a weekend. Thurs-Sun or something. It'll take you a day to get used to the madness and theres so much to see and do. Go to GW Fins for dinner and Commanders Palace and Arnauds for brunch. Have dinner in Peche and Sofia. You could do a swamp trip. Eat a seafood boil.

Post edited by The Nal on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PoulMM

That area outlined sounds like a theme trip: Pick a few themes and plan your trip from that. That's what we did:

• Civil war
    • Plantations

Both Memphis and Nashville are associated with music. We've only visited bars in Beale Street in Memphis, so I can't talk much about the music.

Regarding the civil war, there are battlegrounds like Vicksburg (MS) and Fort Donelson (TN).

There are plenty of plantations like the famous Oak Valley north of New Orleans (it's featured in Interview with a Vampire with Tom Cruise). Pick out 3 to 5 plantations because it will give you a broader picture of slavery.

Natchez on the Mississippi has its history before the civil war but worth considering.

Lastly, the south is a great area for watching alligators…

Advertisement