Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

The cost of living is way higher in much of the US. I think I heard Boston native (lecturer in UL) Larry Donnelly point out that a family will struggle to live comfortably in the North East on an income less than a quarter of a million $. I see some links saying the figure is over 300K in Boston now, for a two parent family with two kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sailing

[Removed by mod]

It will be interesting to see if the Ialpa/FORSA recommend the recommendation.

Someone mentioned the length of time taking to make a recommendation. I’d suggest that’s prudent as there needs to be no ambiguity in any of the document before making a recommendation on those to vote.

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DalRiata

I think so. TAP, SAS, United and Delta with 757s, JetBlue, Iberia soon and no doubt many more with XLRs on order.

Over the winter just past, Aer Lingus were unable to attract the number of FOs they wanted during their recruitment campaign. The cost of living anywhere close to Dublin cited as one of the main reasons in comparison to the FO salaries on offer. Likely contributes to why the work-to-rule has had such an impact on cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

The 17.5% Labour Court recommendation is reported to be based on past and future inflation

The Labour Court ‘s decision looked at previous and projected inflation rates, as detailed and researched by the Central Bank of Ireland to determine it’s recommendation of 17.75%. increase 

I know there are many other issues around working conditions etc. but if the 17.5% is not linked to any changes benefitting the employer, then the employer must improve its recent agreement with other staff to reflect this view of past and future inflation.

Otherwise the other unions will be back in the Labour Court and make that demand forcefully on behalf their members. DAA unions will be on their heels, followed by any other public sector Union that that can put a squeeze on the government.

If the Irish public sector now get 17.5% for inflation, why shouldn’t others in the Euro Area get similar? Those ECB rate cuts will disappear over the horizon

https://www.thejournal.ie/labour-court-17-5-increase-aer-lingus-6430520-Jul2024/#:~:text=The%20Labour%20Court%20's%20decision,effect%20from%201%20January%202023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It proposed the scrapping of a crewing agreement on rostering and summer leave and the termination of a debt owed by pilots to the company as part of that agreement.

WHat is the crewing agreement on rostering and summer leave?

nevermind, i skipped a page, i see it discussed here yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

There are productivity measures in the agreement that benefit the employer. Losing the crewing agreement allows them to roster longer duties for short haul pilots.

Not sure if it would be that seismic regardless. Was reading a discussion elsewhere and plenty of private sector professionals in various fields got 20% plus over the last few years.

It's a private company so don't think it would have any sway at all on public sector workers here let alone across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

While there may be some who cite the cost of living in Dublin as the reason why they didn't move to EI, this is the same for every person in the economy yet over a 1.5 million people make it work in the Greater Dublin Area. And the vast majority of them on wages way less than even a FO and with no guaranteed income increases into the future like that of a pilot.

Pilots are also restricted with the number of hours they can fly per month (90) and per annum (900). It is quite normal for airlines to make use of their crews to get to over 95% of their hours annually. EI is very seasonal compared to other airlines. It is normal in workplace practices that you have to work harder "in season" when working in a seasonal business. This is normal for professionals, all the way to retail and service industries. The pilots can't have it all ways, there has to be some give and take.

The labour court is very experienced in these matters and knows what is out there. Pilots should thread carefully with how they vote in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Rugbyf565

is it dodgy to book flights to portugal end of July with Aer lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Economics101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm ….could be another twist in the tale here.

Looks like the pilots are 'treading water' by looking for clarifications on the LC recommendation .

Looks to me like they are looking to buy a bit of time before they pull the trigger with a yea or nay.

Nothing wrong with that as the workforce is widely scattered and difficult to get a read on what the feeling

on the deal is.

It might drag on for a bit more with maybe some minor changes to the LC recommendation.

I would be surprised if the situation was ramped up by the pilots……. but never say never…. depends on what the hardliners

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Nothing wrong with seeking clarification on some aspects of the deal. It's fairly standard for any questions to be clarified before going to the membership.

Once the labour court respond on the queries then IALPA will be able to issue a recommendation, need to be 100% correct on all the T&Cs before going to the members.

This regularly happens with unions and the labour court and IALPA had flagged after the LC issued the recommendation that they'd have to seek some clarifications on certain aspects of the LC proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'd began typing a reply before seeing any edits.

It's not really to do with a scattered workforce. They've questions around aspects of the recommendation and that's perfectly fine. They have to be 100% sure on what they put to vote.

But I don't see the potential twist in the tale you refer to or buying time, this is all fairly standard before the union decides what way to go

What you are saying is what I am saying Mr S.

You are contradicting yourself in your last line there 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kiss my Axe

You would imagine it’s something small that can be easily sorted out one way or the other even if they aren’t happy with the elements they are recommendation they are talking about, or am I just being gullable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If this wasn't being played out in the full glare of 24-hour media attention (and boards.ie discussion!), going back to the LC for clarifications would not merit comment at all. It is very much standard and reflects care being taken to have a full and unambiguous understanding of what has been recommended. I wouldn't rule out the LC issuing clarification to the parties for the avoidance of doubt, if this is deemed appropriate in relation to any element.

Not gullible …. It could be something small…….but easily sorted out…… that's a dog of a different breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's not quite that simple. My understanding is that AL pilots have not seen an increase in their salaries since 2019. In the meantime, there have been three public sector pay deals, including one that included the reversal of FEMPI measures.

Their deal seemingly is only to match existing and projected inflation but give up conditions at the same time. I suspect it will be contentious in the union if they decide to back it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

That's a reasonable argument for a pay increase then. It's just comparing with other employment markets with different cost bases is apples v oranges. Teachers in Boston (for example) can earn up to $128,000 at the top of the scale. I don't think that fact has much relevance to the debate around teachers' pay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

why are public sector or FEMPI deals relevant? Lots of private sector (where Awr Lingus operates) have not had inflation matching increases. The pilots have An incremental scale (capping at 26 years which affects the senior ones) which is common in airlines apparently but not in private sector generally. That incremental scale has meant that their pay has increased. The strike does not seem to have delivered much above the 12.25% - 1.5% at most.

Anyone can demand more pay, imposing problems on the passengers is my only gripe. It all seems to have been so unnecessary when the proposed outcome (from a panel weighted equally between employer and trade union representatives) have come out with little more than was already on the table.

If the work practice and scale capping are truly impactful then it may be the case that the pilots have lost out entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

IALPA are dead right to seek clarity on all aspects, I’m sure this is a very nuanced proposal. I’m actually surprised EI approved it so fast, did they have no questions in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not sure about staffing levels etc but I'd assume AL and their parent have more people who are employed full time in legal/HR/finance etc to go through an agreement such as this where as IALPA may be reliant on less secure resources to review.

That said, I was surprised that AL came up with that statement as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sailing

They were quick out of the traps alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's relevant because the public sector pay deals are seen as the benchmark for the private sector, as the minimum viable increase usually to just keep pace with inflation. Fempi reversal is important because public sector workers have seen both conditions and pay improve - they didn't have to trade one for the other to match inflation.

It's important to recognise that the scale comes with the job and reflects increased experience. If someone in 2019 with 10 years experience was getting paid X five years ago, and another pilot who has just got his 10 years today is also paid X, then the pilot today is getting paid less in real terms. Substantially less.

Inflation erodes terms silently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

the work to rule should be suspended until the result of the ballot is in given there will be nothing happening until the vote comes in so their WTR is achieving nothing other than disrupting the plans of AL customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pearl Jam

Because it was written for Aer Lingus …via the direct intervention of a quango giving the illusion of impartiality all the while serving the interests of those who really run the show.
    From what I could see this recommendation does not represent a good deal for pilots. IALPA should take time to carefully consider the finer details of the LC document and not feel pressured and harassed by Peter Burke, Aer Lingus Management et al into accepting something that pilots may regret long after the current AL management team have departed.
    I think I smell more shares and bonuses 🤔

“There is none so blind as those who will not see”

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Aware of a situation adjudicator thought previous voluntary participation in a "voluntary" scheme in fact means you are now mandated to participate.

Yes getting clarification can be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

just wondering, Aer Lingus accepted the 17.5 %. But IALPA consider it and then recommend a vote. Why when the offer is there isn’t there just a vote? Why do IALPA make a decision on whether it’s good enough and then go for a vote?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

It also seems the LRC has made a factual mistake. It appears that they seem to believe a narrow body pay cap has already been in place as agreed for some time. This is simply factually incorrect. It either demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the matters in which they are dealing with, or it is a typo. I’m assuming this will be one of the issues IALPA will seeking clarity on? This would change the complexion of the recommendation significantly. However, if the LRC didn’t understand the basic facts they have been asked to arbitrate on, it calls into question if the report carries any value at all.

edit: it is possible they have mixed up ‘short haul cap’ and ‘narrowbody cap’. 2 very very different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Because the offer isn't black and white and people will have queries about the detail.

I would assume the union have an existing mandate from members, if the offer isn't within this mandate there's not much point going for a vote either. They need to establish whether it is or not.

Advertisement