Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MaXXXine [sequel to X, Pearl]

Options
  • 12-04-2023 3:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So X was a gory slasher; Pearl a psychological thriller; where does that leave this, the third Ti West / Mia Goth film that follows X's Maxine - so who knows where things go? Honestly if it's "just" another slasher film I'll be a bit disappointed, 'cos Pearl truly was a fantastic surprise and genuine deviation from the prior film's own tonal direction.

In any case, filming apparently started on this, so given how fast the last two movies got made I doubt we'll be waiting too long...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,952 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Have to say, I kinda have very little interest in this, even if I thought 'Pearl' was excellent. But that short teaser trailer is a work of genius. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will be making the effort to see this. If nothing else the soundtrack should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I was pretty unimpressed with X but Pearl is one of my favourite horrors in year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I didn't like X so not that bothered about the Last Girl returning to this, but Pearl was just so good I'm kinda hopeful Maxxxine manages to keep that subversive energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

Rewatching X after seeing Pearl enhances it quite a bit

Caught a viewing of it today. Probably the weakest of the three films.

Still an entertaining watch with a strong cast. The violence is high but cartoonesque at points.

Found the bad guy very underwhelming (that may be a conscious effort by the director given the B-movie feel).

Will watch all three of them again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The bad guy reveal was so bad. Third act was absolute nonsense and deviated from what I felt was a very cohesive story and setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watched this last night, was expecting it to be better to be honest. Mia Goth is great in it, but I preferred Pearl and X. Pearl is the best of the trilogy.

• Advertisement

Fair point. Once she headed off into the Hollywood Hills it did take a considerable nosedive. Michelle Monaghan's character fate got a chuckle but a disappointing climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Watched X - woeful horror, Pearl wasn't any better.

Lead actress was in another film Infinity Pool, highly irritating character in all three films. Not a lot of depth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't know whether to bother. My local tends to focus heavily on Bollywood releases so it's not there. I'd have to get a few connections to get to the nearest one with it. I liked X but I somehow missed Pearl.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Really liked this. There was a lot going on. Ti West is such a great filmmaker, he can make these exploitation movies in the style of whatever genre he likes yet they all feel like Ti West movies.

The little flourishes like split screens and needle drops were great and Mia Goth was reliably excellent. An impressive unironic, geeky 80's horror homage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Honestly I'd place Pearl as one of the most entertaining horrors in the last decade. X I was so so about.

You definitely need to give Pearl a watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ho you mean there was two movies between this one. I never knew that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It’s a horror trilogy about Hollywood sexploitation. Same lead character in both X and Maxxxine so direct relationship between the 2 films. Pearl is set many years earlier, and tho it follows similar theme and using same lead actress I don’t think there is any story link between it and X/Maxxxine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The story link is that the old woman in X is Pearl (with Mia Goth also actually playing the old woman in X, as well as Maxine). It's all the same location, set 60 years apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I thought this was just very ok, it started good but to me it felt like it kind of meandered a bit. It looked great with the whole skid row feel and just felt like an 80's film.

• Advertisement

Saw it on Sunday. Wasn't great. Like, it's fine until the reveal at which point it blows its own brains out. I don't think I've ever seen a reveal ruin a film so thoroughly.

Got to see it at a cinema with recliners though so there's that.

Advertisement