Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan resigns before the General Election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

I remember that. What I didn't know was why it got scrapped. I thought it was another Vanilla changeover victim.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was gone years before that. Accounts were being set up with slanderous usernames solely so they'd appear on the banlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

Well this time they deserved it. Yes, while they followed through on election promises, they did it to the detriment if the majority of the Irish people with more taxes and levies, ones that people can ill afford at the moment.

Sure, bring in enviromental policies but they need to be tempered in a way that people are not pushed into poverty, which is what the Green party has done.

Sorry, but the sooner they are all gone the better.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: Below standard posts deleted.

@StormForce13 read the charter before posting in this forum again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What taxes did the green party in the current government introduce?

• Advertisement

Well, why not start with the introduction of the DRS? I know, not a tax, but still an extra cost on the people of Ireland that needs to be factored in, especially when we have perfectly good waste collection services, including recycling and composting services, that still cannot be gotten rid of, and now, those waste collection services are looking to increase their rates due to the loss of income caused by the DRS.

Also how about the return of the Duties and Levies on fuels coming into the country to full rate at Green party insistence despite their coalition partners saying the cuts would stay in place as long as the cost of living crisis continued.....guess what....that particular crisis is still ongoing.

Also, While I know that the carbon tax was introduced by the FF/GP government in 2010, it has increased more in the last 4 years than the previous 11 years, again despite the cost of living crisis.

Thanks to these increases, I know families that are collecting scraps of wood from the roads if they pass them, or asking the grandparents or neighbours can they use their waste collection and splitting the bill. I came across a guy the other evening basically "dumpster diving" for anything he could use, Cans/bottles with DRS icons on them so he could claim the deposit, ice-cream sticks for tinder, newspapers so that he could make paper-mache firelogs from, while other are leaving their household rubbish next to public bins, which will lead to the removal of those public bins eventualy to the detriment of all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I came across a guy the other evening basically "dumpster diving" for anything he could use, Cans/bottles with DRS icons on them so he could claim the deposit

You have no idea, or have given us no idea, why he's so poor. You're conflating his poverty with the DRS scheme simply because he's using it as a source of meagre income, when it probably has nothing whatsoever to do with why he's poor.

You are right, i didn't, but I am using him as an example of the type of situation people have found themselves in due to the extra costs imposed on people by this government, which includes the Green party, and how they are trying to combat the situations they are finding themselves in.

And yes, I was actually talking to him because I originally thought he was dumping household rubbish in a public bin, a practice which lately has led to the removal of public bins in the area.

Your point being?

Eamon Ryan, as Minister for the Enviroment has it in his power to at least suspend any increases in the likes of carbon tax, for example, to help alleviate the pressure on people and instead has left it more than double under his tenure. That is just one example.

Fair enough, maybe introduced was the wrong term, but the Green Party certainly has done nothing to help alleviate the pressure on people, and if anything has increased that pressure.

And that is why the Green Party lost out so badly in the local elections, and if the Green Party think just changing the face at the helm will turn their fortunes around, they must think the people of Ireland have short memories.

• Advertisement

My point was that you keep claiming that the GP are responsible for people having to live like paupers and resorting to "dumpster diving" when this is in fact untrue. You are blaming the ills of the entire government on one minor part of that government simply because you don't like them.

You have an anti-GP agenda which is fine but don't make stuff up about them (or any other party) when you fold on it as soon as you're questioned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

So you have answered the green party have introduced no taxes.

Eamon Ryan can't suspend without government approval. Same as he can't increase.

The Green Party are not in control of the Depart of Finance.

The Green Party lost out in the local election because of the amount of misinformation been spread arund about them by people online claiming to know what they are talking about and gullible people listening to them

Just look at any of these threads and the amount of nonsense posted is amazing, we had someone claim yesterday that Eamon Ryan closed the bogs, when that decision was made in 2018

We also had months of saying Eamon Ryan closed two ESB plants, again made by previous government

The turf ban? well that wasput in process by the last government and was due to be implemented before the last election but FF and FG ran out of time and pushed it out for the next government to implement. Not a whisper about it in 2018/19 when this was going on. Soon as Eamon Ryan department went to carry out the actual plan, uproar.

You need to do some fact checking

So trying to move the blame from the Green party......funny because it was the Green party introduced the original carbon tax to the dail, the water charges, whic was overturned due to protest by the Irish people and in this term, the DRS, so yes they can indeed initiate the proceedure required to suspend the increases in the Carbon Tax, but they did not, did they?

And as I said, doubled during Eamon Ryan's tenure

But they are not a minor party, are they? For example, It was at GP insistance that the duties and levies on fuels coming into the country was raised back to the original rates, despite assurances from the other 2 coalition partners that they would remain as long as the cost of living crisis remained. Smaller does not equal minor.

Every cent on these levies and taxes are coming from the pockets of the electorate and they are tired of it.

As you said yourself the DRS is not a tax

In terms of the government you don't seem to understand how it works. Maybe do a little bit of research before posting as if you know what Eamon Ryan did or didn't do, reading nonsense from twitter is not how to research

The DRS is still an extra cost on people's pockets introduced by the Green Party especially when there is a perfectly good system of waste collection already in place.

And I know very well how Government works......just look at today's announcments....plain to see the attempt to buy the next election has started!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The DRS is designed to be cost neutral at the point of use.

You pay the deposit on purchase and when you return the container you get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DaSchmo

But it's not cost neutral is it? People's time has a cost. The fact that it rejects things has a cost. The wasted petrol driving around looking for one that actually works has a financial, time and environmental cost. The bin companies putting their prices up because of lost revenue from the cans is a cost.

As far as the person who was previously doing everything just right recycling at home is concerned, this is a steaming pile of dog ****. Let's not even attempt to defend the indefensible

Why would you drive around looking one?

Sorry but I have no idea why people find it so difficult to bring the bottles back when they go shopping and put them in, get a receipt, buy shopping and claim it back

Is it that difficult?

People work hard, they pay taxes, come election if the taxes are high they expect a return or a reduction for the hard work they have done

If you have a problem with hard working people getting a reward then I have no idea what to say

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DaSchmo

Yes it is that difficult. We had a system that worked perfectly well and now we have this shite. This is expense, wasted time and hassle, and what do you mean about "why would you drive around looking for one" - a lot of the time the bloody things are full or out of order ao what choice do you have? Keep the stinking leaking bag of them in your boot till next time the shop you go to regularly has a working machine.

• Advertisement

I said it was designed to be cost neutral.

So not some imposition set up by the Green Party to rob consumers.

It was voted in by the full government FF,FG and GP and supported by Sinn Fein, the Social Democrats and Labour along with others.

So it's not clear why it's even in this thread.

The bin companies are playing a game using their customers as pawns to get a payday.

The recycling bin system was never going to get us to 90% collection by 2030.

It is in this thread because people don't understand how the government works, they think Eamon Ryan was a dictator and was implementing all of this on his own and even magically stuff that was done before he was even elected

It's easy to use

They work, I have yet to find a broken one. The claims of broken ones online alway turn out to be noise

If you keep the caps on the bottles they don't leak, might be an idea to close them

The DRS is still an extra cost on people's pockets introduced by the Green Party especially when there is a perfectly good system of waste collection already in place.

Nobody is forced into paying large sums for cans or plastic bottles so stop with this nonsense! If people want to buy them then they can return the empties when they return to the shop

Anyone who is forced into buying water (due to supply issues) can get 5L bottles which don't attract the deposit!

As already asked, why are they driving around? If one finds the machine out of order then put them back in the car until next time. It really isn't the rocket science those opposed are doing their best to portray it as!

We had a system that worked perfectly well and now we have this shite.

erm, no, it was far from perfect and a lot of cans and plastic bottles ended up in the regular waste.

a lot of the time the bloody things are full or out of order ao what choice do you have? Keep the stinking leaking bag of them in your boot till next time the shop you go to regularly has a working machine.

As it happens, I pass one machine every day whilst walking the dog with some of the days passing a second machine. Usually someone is at the machineswith the machines clearly working as intended. Maybe I live in a form of a twilight zone?

As for then stinking, wash the poxy things out when you're washing your dishes in the evening! Like I said, it's not rocket science!

Honestly, i cant understand why some people insist on making up stuff about this scheme.

Mod: Anyhow, there is already a thread about the scheme and this one isn't going to morph into another one so let's get back to discussing Ryan, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It shows how effective the system for returns if the bin collectors have noticed the reduction in the green bins - and after such a short time..

Of course, they could just be looking for a rise in fees.

By separating the returns from other green waste produces a higher value product that is already clean and just a single product - aluminium or clear plastic. You pay a deposit and get it all back when you return the can/bottle. Most places where the bottle/can is purchased have a return machine - or else take it to a supermarket.

You no longer see cans/bottles discarded on the street.

Whatever way you want to put it, it is an attempt at buying the election even breaking their own rule of 5% expenditure.

As to it be cost neutral. Now lets see.

The old system was when I finished with my container, rinse it, crush it and put it in my recycling bin, and it gets picked up on bin collection day.

The DRS system is finish with the container, rinse it, find someplace safe to keep it so it does not get damaged until I next go shopping, go shopping and find the machine is full, out of order or not working, find second one or even a 3rd one if neccessary, and the machine then crushes it.

The biggest problem is by having to keep the containers undamaged, is finding a place to store them. Next biggest problem is finding a working DRS machine in a shop that I do my shopping at, so that I can redeem the voucher I am getting from the machine. After all there is no point using the machine in Tesco if I do my shopping in Aldi's.

I have found several times that where I prefer to do my shopping that it is either full or out of order, as as I said previously no point in using one where i do not shop. And the last time I used one got talking to the person behind me while we waiting our turn to use it and I just happened to comment to him how everybody seemed to pick the one time to use this particular one, to which he told me that this was the 4th one he had come to that day.......why do you think that was?

So good you said it twice

Imaginary stories don't really work with me, the number of bottles been recycled would suggest these stories are, well stories.

DRS was voted in by the full government FF,FG and GP and supported by Sinn Fein, the Social Democrats and Labour along with others.

It's not connected to E Ryan resigning and will still be in place even if the GP are not in government.

• Advertisement

Mod: I gave a gentle mod warning earlier. Now I'm giving a firm one: no more discussion about the pros and cons of the DRS

Advertisement