Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmanuel Macron dissolves French parliament and calls snap elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Perhaps you can share the source of your 'fact' so we judge that for ourselves?

You claim they won the most seats. You are the only one doing so.

I dont know where you get your 'facts' from but in the absence of a citation when declared like that they are not a reliable guide to the truth.

According to France24 and every other major news outlet the National Rally are projected to be 3rd in number of seats:

"France's New Popular Front has won the largest number of seats in the final round of snap parliamentary elections, leaving behind the remnants of President Emmanuel Macron’s centrist camp and the far-right National Rally trailing in third place."

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20240707-france-s-leftist-new-popular-front-wins-a-shock-victory-%E2%80%93-but-now-the-hard-part-begins

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You do realise the New Popular Front is an alliance and not a party. The poster above is referring to a party.

I know that but it seems like they don't know what they are referring to.

This doesn't make any sense if interpreted that way… "seats out of 7 parties."

So it doesn't make sense even as a reference to the anti far right pact of the New Popular front and Ensemble \ Macron's Centrist alliance, which is made up of more parties than that.

And nowhere else on the thread are discussions down to that level, comparing the number of seats of specifically the National Rally with say Renaissance rather than the Centrist alliance, or La France Insoumise versus New Popular Front.

There is no meaningful sense in which they got the "most seats", given how French elections are run.

It is like someone who has lost the game complaining about the rules… oh no the other side ganged up on me!

This is how it is actually reported by reputable news organisations such as France24:

France's New Popular Front has won the largest number of seats in the final round of snap parliamentary elections

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Reform with 5 and FN in 3rd, you've had a bad week so it's fair to warn people of the large amounts of copium you'll be huffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭brickster69

Number of seats won by the parties and share of the vote overall against blocks of parties. So they are far and way the most popular party.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It depends on your definition of "popular". RN is the first choice of more voters than any other party. On the other hand, the majority of voters dislike RN, and people who dislike RN seem to dislike it much more strongly than people who dislike other parties — that's why it does so badly on the second round.

So a more accurate summary of the situation might be that RN is a polarising party — both more liked and more disliked than other parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Firstly, he's not pro leaving the EU. Secondly, most people aren't single issue. Personally for me, I view Le Pen to be a sanitized version of her father. I would suspect she still shares plenty of his views, simply isn't as vocal. Then there's the racism and her relationship with Russia. The latter position completely endangers all of Europe and the EU doesn't need another Russian puppet in a position of power.

I think you are best off sticking to the facts than creating definitions of what popular means to suit your way of thinking.

You see, the French system was essentially brought in as a way of preventing the communists from getting into power in the 50's. They were similar to RN in popularity but in the second round everyone clubbed together to not allow it.

Quite ironic that this time it actually allowed the communists in. In Europe some established parties have been around for centuries and it is very difficult for new ones to break into, but if they attract a message that resonates with voters concerns it is possible, look at Macron.

It is very difficult to organise things when shock elections are announced with very little notice like both France and the Uk did. However the left in France did very well after looking to be in chaos so now the centre has been rejected by 77.7% of the voters despite getting assistance. To me it looks like Macron is the most unpopular and disliked group.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Nobody else is talking about 'most popular party'. Nowhere else on this thread have you shown any concern for the number of seats e.g. of Renaissance.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and Renaissance had most seats as a party, but the RN 'block' had more seats overall, there's no chance you'd be saying oh but Renaissance are the most popular party. None whatsoever and don't pretend otherwise.

Even the image you provided totals the seats up by the blocks of parties.

And the RN are themselves part of a block, it is not some conspiracy to 'gerrymander' against them as you misrepresented earlier.
    National Rally presented themselves to the electorate as part of a block.

It appears to be a desperate form of 'copium', as noted in other posts, because they came 3rd in the election.

If Macron is the most disliked, why did another party block form an electoral pact with it against the RN?

If they are the most disliked, how did parties of that electoral pact then go onto win more than twice as many seats as RN?

Will we get an answer or will we get more semantic nonsense about 'popular'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭ronjo

probably best to just tell him he is right so the thread can move on

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I think you are best off sticking to the facts than creating definitions of what popular means to suit your way of thinking.

The results of the first round of voting are a fact but the results of the second round are not? Please, I don't think you're in a position to sneer at others for creating definitions to suit their way of thinking.

It's abundantly clear that RN is a polarising force, attracting both strong likes and strong dislikes. If you want to ignore the inconvenient facts about RN so that you can simplistically label it the "most popular" party, by all means go ahead — it simply confirms the impression that support for the far right is based on absurd and unrealistic simplism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

The French system is designed to let people decide between minor differences of opinion in the first round without splitting the vote between them as they have a final round for people to then decide what their effective next preference is from the most popular options. It doesn't stop extremes so much as it stops the center from splitting their vote and being forced into a single party to be effective.

Vote share is irrelevant because both the center and the left withdrew candidates from the final round. Coalition is more important than party as well.

People did this in the UK as well to overestimate the importance of the far right. They split the stats into ways the system simply discourages. If France had a different system that relied more on parties then many of those parties would join together, if they were more about vote share across the country then many of those candidates would not have dropped out. All parties targeted seats by group and RN was 3rd far below expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Melenchon supported the Russian annexation of Crimea, so be careful what you wish for.

They made an electoral pact only to prevent RN getting more seats.

RN was up against 7 parties with differing views and they won more seats as a block because most of the seats were from big cities that have different demographics than traditional rural areas. Paris for example is probably not the greatest place for a right wing party to gain votes and probably people in rural areas don't want their towns and villages turning into what Paris is becoming.

Given that RN had dozens of votes with 47%+ in two horse race races and lost, it is quite clear what would of happened in a 3 horse race.

Nothing illegal about it, just the way it is and it worked. Same as it worked against the communists for all those years.

If you can't understand the difference between a party and an alliance is your fault not mine. It was repeated enough for you and pointed out to you by others.

- Camille Paglia

What does this have to do your previous post?

Pretty conclusive you have no answer to the discrediting of your previous claims, as you have shifted the goal posts again. Grand so, we have established that RN were the most disliked, as evidenced by the pact against them and the number of seats won by that pact.

Can you show us where, earlier in the thread, you showed any concern for the difference in number of seats each party gets versus the alliance they presented themselves to the electorate? And I mean specifically now at the party level.
    You won't be able to will you? This is just something you jumped onto as a way of consoling yourself for the Rally coming 3rd in the election. That is obvious.

Earlier you incorrectly used the term 'gerrymandering' to refer to the runoff pact against RN, implying it was somehow underhand. It wasn't gerrymandering, so either you are ignorant of the meaning of the terms used, or you are deliberately using them to misrepresent.

Now you have gone off on a tangent about rural versus urban with dog whistling about immigration. How does that change the fact that RN came 3rd?

So there's no real argument here, just disingenuous attempts to cope with the fact that RN came 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The interesting thing about the distribution of votes is that both Melenchon and Le Pen have both had their best ever showing at an election. If you look at the voting patterns of young people the difference is even more pronounced between the two opposite ends of the political spectrum.

Macron might have been able to stop Le Pen thanks to his voting pact, but that doesn't really address the root issue that France has become a highly polarized society where the centre ground is being abandoned.

I don't really know where France goes from here. In the short-term, it'll probably mean gridlock as no single grouping will have a large enough block of votes. Longer-term, all bets are off really, especially if the economy was to hit trouble.

I am going to take a wild swing Francie as you can be sure this has been gamed out. The media goes into overdrive, this time with the slogan of "stop the radical far left communists who will destroy the economy."

So a grand coalition of everyone without RN, Melanchon goes under the bus for the greater good by his new found partners. Raphaël Glucksmann or Greens leader as head of government with a little bit of Macron hidden in the shadows.

Sounds like a longshot but got a chance.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You're missing the point here, and it's odd coming from someone who (I suppose) is Irish and so should be aware of how vote transfers work, ie that some parties are more polarising than others and thus are unable to gain the support needed from a wider section of society that would allow them to transform their points (first preference votes) into goals (transfers in the STV system, extra votes in the second round in the French system).

Your point about the Communists illustrates the same phenomenon, but you seem to think it's a failure of democracy, when in fact it's a way for the widest possible section of society to get behind the elected government. Communism had a significant level of support, but society as a whole wanted "anyone but the Communists". That's a perfectly valid choice to make. And so far, that has also been the case with the far right/Le Pen party.

The RN have the largest number of seats, but are so wildly unpopular among the majority of French society that most voters finally chose "anyone but the RN". As they were entitled to do.

I get the system, but do you think that RN would of gained the majority or at least a huge win unless the pact was formed between the two other groups to withdraw 200+ candidates ?

- Camille Paglia

You mean if France had had a First Past the Post system? They don’t though- and that’s a choice.

It does not matter if they use that system or not, just base it on the current system is fine . So do you think that RN would of gained the majority or at least a huge win unless the pact was formed between the two other groups to withdraw 200+ candidates ?

Simple question really.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean they definitely would have won more if no one had opposed them either. Or if another right wing party had been running they potentially could have done far worse.

I mean it seems likely but also many voters would have started tactically voting in round 2 based off of the 1st round.

The voters made their choice and if their candidate had pulled out after the 1st round they could have switched to RN, the fact that they didn't showed the majority were against RN and had a preference for the left.

This is the fundamental idea behind the French people, an unpopular party should not rule because the most popular viewpoint disagrees on minor details and splits the vote. The weirdness in the system meant that this depressed the vote of the parties pulling candidates but it reaches a decent end result.

Edit: if the people were as opposed to the centre or the left as they are on the right they would not have switched their votes for whichever of them stayed in the race.

I think it is a racing certainty myself they would of had higher seats, if it would of been over 50% is another matter. The very fact that they came 2nd with 47%+ in dozens of seats in two horse races makes it so. Not that it changes anything now mind you.

- Camille Paglia

No I definitely don’t think they would have got an overall majority. Because there was nothing stopping them from getting a majority except the fact that they didn’t get enough votes.

RN did not stand down anywhere - it was the other parties that did that. The voters were entirely free to reject that strategy and to vote for the RN candidate if they wished.

That such a large majority went along with it in the secrecy of the polling booth shows that they agree with that rejection of RN.

There are not enough French people who want to see RN in power to give them a majority.

It’s that simple.

But that strategy only happens, brickster, because the parties in the pact are confident that their supporters will prefer anyone over RN ("if we withdraw, our supporters will vote for the communists rather than for RN") and it only works if the parties are right about that.

What you're pointing to is evidence of how widely RN is disliked.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Yes exactly: it's just making it explicit for people how they can vote tactically to keep RN out - if that is what they want to do.

It doesn't force anyone to vote against RN if they don't want to do that.

• Advertisement

I am slowly getting how you think. I had it in my head that Macrons party was far and away the most disliked, probably because they lost so many seats, got trashed in the European elections, lost a huge vote share while the other two received far more seats and share of the votes.

Anyway, in a couple of months or so everything will be stable again with the RN just sat on the sidelines watching how everything unfolds. Every terrorist attack, increasing crime, rising numbers of migrants and economic problems will be the problem for those that wanted control.

It probably will be a blessing in disguise because as every day that passes they will become less unpopular just by doing nothing .

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement