Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Investigates Girls in Green

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I didn't read anything into them, I was too focused on the other issues. Most of the discussion has been about safeguarding in lots of different areas of sports so I wouldn't have been paying attention to the specific genre. It's been an interesting thread all the same, when these issues do come up it highlights a topic, builds awareness and hopefully leads to better understanding and ultimately change.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's a bit mad since there are no juvenile or adult female players in the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How relevant is it to a story about alleged "misbehaviour" (obviously stronger than that, but I'm not sure what they can be called at the present time i.e. claims/allegations/offences) by FAI coaches over an adult womens team?

You might as well keep the deflection going by bringing in basketball/cricket/athletics/etc next

It's not at all relevant, I was agreeing with you.

It's especially irrelevant since no women play gaelic games under the GAA umbrella. Women play gaelic games under their own organisations, the LGFA and camogie association. These are women run so if there were abuses by male coaches in these orgs, it would largely have been ignored or covered up by women.

• Advertisement

Ah ok. I had just been wondering originally why there were a load of posts "insinuating" against the GAA. I don't think there was one post with any information or story about another other soccer team apart from the one in the story obviously.

You'll get sleazeballs and chancers everywhere. The solution is to identify them and try to weed them out. Unfortunately there is also a grey line sometimes as well in clubs etc. Not talking about coaches to players even. Just players. And any sport. But the likes of a supposedly professional organisation, and at the top level, should have been weeded out from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bit surprised this hasn’t received more coverage since it aired on Sunday? I was expecting Liveline to cover it but no?

Are the FAI spin doctors ensuring this doesn’t get traction in RTÉ ?

Perhaps not wanting to push too much at this point in case there might be any potential court issues. As I understand it, they are only allegations. There could also be defamation fears as well.

Lots of posts insinuating the GAA because these posters have a grudge against the organisation and would love nothing more than for it to get a public beat down.

They are out of luck this time since no females over the age of 12 play in games organised by the GAA.

Possibly so. It just odd very little coverage from what I heard (didn’t hear Claire Byrne Mon or Tues so don’t know if she covered it? She usually is a good feminist ally?)

• Advertisement

RTE were teasing it hard all week. It looks like it didn't get the traction and pick up they'd hoped for.

Certainly they went hard or go home on it.

It doesn’t seem to have really hit home with ppl?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The LGFA is a separate organisation from the GAA, and was always substantially run by women. I'd be astonished if it wasn't one of the less affected sports as a consequence. Likewise Camogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Male coaches getting into relationships with women in the teams is rife in these sports. Not sure if that is deemed inappropriate but it is extremely common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Relationships are not the problem, if both parties freely enter into them. The problem is people in position of power using that power to try and secure sexual favours.

Wonder how much of it is due to the fact that most of the women represented are gay. It might be less relatable to people and at the same time speaks to other gay women who may have endured a certain level of silent discrimination in their fields (no pun intended) of experience.

It didn't just cover allegations of inappropriate behavior and sexual harrassment, but also how they were treated due to their sexual orientation. As it stands the FAI stands down three men as a result of the story. It is a live investigation and ongoing.

edit:also this https://www.thejournal.ie/bacik-sports-abuse-complaints-6431934-Jul2024/

Post edited by Babyreignbow on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

While I fully agree with you, my point was not so much about the reaction of those in positions of power or influence but rather those friends and family that one might turn to for support.

If you're in any doubt about whether or not people will support you then you'll just put off reaching out for that support.

I know that's why I took so long to reach out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm glad your family supported you. I wasn't so lucky. I hope you're doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Nearly all sports have safe guarding in place. The GAA have been hiding things like this, one big case in my own town of a scumbag who is now serving jail, he got away with it for so long and got his contact with his victims directly through his official role with GAA. He wasn't the only one either, two more involved with him, one of the others has served time and the other is thankfully dead. This same person was allowed in and around our dressing rooms from under 12 to minor grades. He tried to get into a dressing room one day when we were at football (soccer) and our coach f'd him out of it away from the door of the dressing room(he used the excuse he wanted some pictures for his sports photography business) he was told in no uncertain terms he can't set foot in our dressing room and don't come back, no vetting, no access basically. If only the GAA(club and county where he was an administrator) had that rule at that time lives wouldn't have been destroyed.

All sports can do better and must do better, but none can have a holier than thou position on this unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Apologies, funny how the mind plays tricks on you. I obviously thought it was something inappropriate touching from behind and then my mind filled in the rest. I presume the 16 was e remembering the 1966 bit.

Still creepy as f*ck though, let's be honest about it. If I done that to someone at work, I'd be getting the axe and rightly so.

No worries. I've been the victim of similar kinds of slurs which is why having the facts is so necessary. The girls in the programme also spoke about the same kind of aspersions directed at them because they were gay and it was coming from the same guy who was doing the abusing.

It's still creepy though right, I wouldn't be comfortable with a co worker doing that to me, and if they were in a position of power, it very much has elements of "play along now" like a good little soldier.

This is Gay Byrne, a man who had considerable power at his fingertips in Ireland for 50 years. Sinead was well able to call him out on his behaviour and even do so publically, without fear of reprisal but in the greater scheme of things while I don't think he was grooming her, or preying on the vulnerable, he was acting as a man in his position of his power often does, condescends and patronises and controls.

The article the attached video I referenced came from a piece his daughters did after her death where she describes the relationship as one of a protective fatherly figure. He lambasted her as much as he admired her and while I don't believe it was sexual in anyway, which is what you originally suggested, of course there are overtones of misogyny and yes in a workplace environment wouldn't consider it acceptable at all. No flies on Sinead all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭celt262

They all have them in place but if controls are not implemented it is a waste of time.

I think at the time she was young enough she might not have been able to and time hides a lot of things in different ways. Loads of abusers and abusers of power claim to be a shining knight, or protective father figure. Doesn't have to be sexual for it to be wrong but I also have a hard time seeing it as anything else than either sexual or simply a manipulative massage of his power, being the "father" figure to such a sensation.

I realise you possibly disagree with me but the way I would phrase it is, if in no way sexual, would I be OK with a man in his position acting this way towards my daughter, and the answer to me is no, and unfortunately for a discussion site, I am not sure anything will change my mind on that. Just to clarify, I am pretty sure my daughter would not be OK with it either and hopefully never finds herself in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

In this day and age, why are men involved in women's sports at all even. Surely given the appalling tech record of abuse, it's asking for trouble to have men coaching women, not too mention the ludicrousness of coaching underage girls.

Womens sports should be of women, by women and for women. Men should not be coaching or managing or having any contact with players.

As for the gaa, I cannot help but think that the reason no scandal has broken yet is due to the social power the organisation holds over the country. Second only to the church traditionally. I believe sooner or later, the cover will be blown and there will be a day of reckoning where the horrors of the abuse will be revealed. Even if girls aren't being coached, there are still homosexual paedophiles. I can absolutely guarantee that there has been abuse, and it just being held back from being made known.

As for the lgfa she camogie, being wholly women's sports, it's beyond me why the allow men to coach. It's taking from the sport because it's disempowering and takes away opportunities for female coaches and managers to rise up the ranks

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

This thread should surely be in the soccer forum or TV forum according to the latest rules of boards.

This isn't about my feelings. You accused someone of sexually abusing a 16 year old by placing their hand down their clothing and pinching their arse. That didn't happen and you were given the evidence direct from the horses mouth. However you want to try and justify your error by portraying him as a dirtbag anyway but it doesn't make the original accusation any less untrue.

• Advertisement

100%, my memory was completely incorrect and I am apologetic about that, it was wrong and I genuinely do not know how my memory filled in the blanks like that, except for in my mind, there is obviously little difference but in the real world there is a humongous difference. What I said being incorrect, doesn't make what actually occurred OK in my opinion. Peoples opinions differ, but to me the incident described is an overtly sexually suggestive one. I can of course be completely wrong but I have never had a girl do that to me who didn't have one thing on her mind and vice versa. It may never have happened again, it may not have been interpreted by her in that manner, I am just saying how I would have interpreted that.

Advertisement